ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Monitors, Horns in vs. Horns out  (Read 23072 times)

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
Re: Monitors, Horns in vs. Horns out
« Reply #70 on: July 06, 2015, 09:51:33 AM »

So I just wanted to gather some info from the collective internet engineers on here...when doing a matched pair of monitors for a band, do you usually do horns in or horns out?  I've done shows with passive (but bi-amped) wedges where the system tech set the monitors up with the horns to the outside of the pair, and the acts had no issues, but when I did them with my smaller powered wedges (RCF ART 312's) there were complaints until I turned them around and did "horns in" and they said the sound improved dramatically.  My guess is that it would have to do with the crossover points in the passive vs. the powered wedges.

Mike,

To answer your question.

It is generally better for sound quality to use only one wedge. But if you find yourself in a situation where you are forced to use two, typically the horns go out.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #71 on: July 06, 2015, 01:04:44 PM »

What would you call the whooshing sound when you walk towards a line array? It comes and goes. Seems to be most pronounced when you're directly in line where 2 cabinets join and very obvious with cymbals. Or is that just a bad design?

You are also hearing the floor bounce from each cabinet, and the resulting combing for that as well.  The good news is that THAT part largely goes away once you get people of the floor.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

John L Nobile

« Reply #72 on: July 06, 2015, 01:57:47 PM »

You are also hearing the floor bounce from each cabinet, and the resulting combing for that as well.  The good news is that THAT part largely goes away once you get people of the floor.

I did a little hunting and came across this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPHpusei0jQ

The video refers to it as finger lobing and is similar to what I heard the dozen or so times we rented a JBL line array (4 a side) in the last few years. I didn't run pink noise but was playing drumtrax and walked to the stage to do something. Spent the next few minutes just walking around wondering WTF?

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #73 on: July 06, 2015, 02:28:33 PM »

I did a little hunting and came across this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPHpusei0jQ

The video refers to it as finger lobing and is similar to what I heard the dozen or so times we rented a JBL line array (4 a side) in the last few years. I didn't run pink noise but was playing drumtrax and walked to the stage to do something. Spent the next few minutes just walking around wondering WTF?

Is that a stereo system vs a mono system?
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Mike Sullivan

« Reply #74 on: July 06, 2015, 02:55:55 PM »

Holy crap.  My thread summed up in one video... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FONN-0uoTHI

Mike,

To answer your question.

It is generally better for sound quality to use only one wedge. But if you find yourself in a situation where you are forced to use two, typically the horns go out.

That's what I've been told, but when I did that I was told it didn't sound great, and I was thinking it was due to my boxes being crossed lower, which means more of the vocals come out of the top end vs. the bottom end.  Just wanted to see if my thinking was correct.  I was just curious, I didn't mean for it to become a huge crap storm...  :o
When you're reading a topic, and the word "Danley" comes up...RUN!!!

John L Nobile

« Reply #75 on: July 06, 2015, 03:17:20 PM »

I don't work for Danley so I can't speak on the setup.  Just a fan since we got a system.:).  Hopefully Ivan can shed a little more light on this.

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #76 on: July 06, 2015, 03:24:29 PM »

Yeah.

It's mostly floor bounce.  The path length difference changes as you move front/rear, which changes the comb filter frequency (f= 1/t, first notch at 1/2 f).

This is not a line-array specific phenomenon.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #77 on: July 06, 2015, 03:36:16 PM »

Holy crap.  My thread summed up in one video... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FONN-0uoTHI

That's what I've been told, but when I did that I was told it didn't sound great, and I was thinking it was due to my boxes being crossed lower, which means more of the vocals come out of the top end vs. the bottom end.  Just wanted to see if my thinking was correct.  I was just curious, I didn't mean for it to become a huge crap storm...  :o

All too common here

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
« Reply #78 on: July 06, 2015, 05:50:22 PM »

Oh how quickly we slide down the slopes-------------

OK OK-just add that to your "image" :)

BTW-so you know what the original name for the BC412 was?

It was the IHOP.  I will let you figure out what the letters mean--------

You have my name and your idea-go from there.

Ivan's House Of Pain?

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #79 on: July 06, 2015, 07:03:18 PM »

The line arrays were in "stereo", but only one side was turned on at the time of the video.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #79 on: July 06, 2015, 07:03:18 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 23 queries.