ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Getting signal to remote location  (Read 4112 times)

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
Getting signal to remote location
« on: June 29, 2015, 03:54:26 PM »

I'm getting ready to install a small background music system at a theme park. They want to have the same music playing throughout the park. I need to get signal to an area about 100ft away. There is now way to run signal cables above or below ground. I was thinking about a wireless trans/receiver.

Is there something else that may work better?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
Re: Getting signal to remote location
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 04:33:05 PM »

I'm getting ready to install a small background music system at a theme park. They want to have the same music playing throughout the park. I need to get signal to an area about 100ft away. There is now way to run signal cables above or below ground. I was thinking about a wireless trans/receiver.

Is there something else that may work better?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Your proposed setup will work brilliantly.  It's only 100 feet, but you might consider using a directional antenna just to be sure.

I have done 600 feet with a helical, no problem.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 04:55:58 PM »

I was thinking about something like this

http://www.altoproaudio.com/products/stealth-wireless

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 08:13:30 PM »

I was thinking about something like this

http://www.altoproaudio.com/products/stealth-wireless

Soundtube has a product designed to do exactly what you're doing.  The receiver even has an amplifier built in.  We're a dealer, PM me if you'd like pricing. 

http://www.soundtube.com/index.php/products/wll/

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 03:40:35 PM »

I'm reluctant to use a system in the 2.4 GHz band. Galaxy makes a system that operates in UHF, wall powered & rack mountable transmitter & receiver.

http://www.galaxyaudio.com/ASWSS11T.php

Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

John Rutirasiri

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 12:50:34 AM »

I'm reluctant to use a system in the 2.4 GHz band. Galaxy makes a system that operates in UHF, wall powered & rack mountable transmitter & receiver.

http://www.galaxyaudio.com/ASWSS11T.php

While I wouldn't use 2.4GHz wireless for FOH, this is background music.  I would prefer it over UHF where there are so many wireless mics and IEMs.

John R.
ClearImpact Sound & Event Services, Inc.
Sound/Lighting/Corporate A/V

"If it ain't broke, make it better."

Mitch Philips

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 10:39:56 PM »

While I wouldn't use 2.4GHz wireless for FOH, this is background music.  I would prefer it over UHF where there are so many wireless mics and IEMs.

John R.

I found that devices that transmit over the 2.4GHz seem to have a bit of a buffer where the music will play and when there seems to be interference in the network (it's bound to happen), the audio gets delayed. I know the buffer is there to prevent uninterrupted playback, but I found out this can cause REALLY bad delay on the speakers playing over the network.  The lag isn't always there, just on some days where there is some interference on the network.

To give an example of this would be to think about a slow computer, you click a button 20 times because it's not responding, but it starts responding and there's a sudden inflow of 20 commands for the computer.

John Rutirasiri

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2015, 12:15:06 PM »

To give an example of this would be to think about a slow computer, you click a button 20 times because it's not responding, but it starts responding and there's a sudden inflow of 20 commands for the computer.

You are comparing two different things.  A computer that's slow to respond to mouse clicks is busy servicing other IRQs or higher priority ISRs.  IP-based audio (and most digital audio transmission protocols) need to buffer up enough of the data to do error correction beyond what a parity bit or ECC can do, and in the case of 2.4Ghz, possible loss of packets due to channel switching or interference.

For background music where the speakers are apart by 100ft, is audio delay from wireless transmission detrimental?  I don't think so, but the installer should come up with worst case figure and let the client to decide.

John R.
ClearImpact Sound & Event Services, Inc.
Sound/Lighting/Corporate A/V

"If it ain't broke, make it better."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2015, 12:15:06 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 22 queries.