ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Sump Pump Electrocution  (Read 18220 times)

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
Re: Sump Pump Electrocution
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2018, 01:07:49 PM »

So let me see if I have this right...
We are going to take a 115 volt electrical device and drop it into a pool of water and not have a GFCI on it?
Alllllrighty then....... :o
In my Dad's first house, the Sump Pump was 5ft tall. The motor head stood well above where any water should collect....
Anything that would contact water was purely mechanical.
Now, I haven't used one / seen one since I was 18, and moved out.
By all the talk, i'm guessing we've gone to submersibles.
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Scott Helmke

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2018, 10:02:24 AM »

In my Dad's first house, the Sump Pump was 5ft tall. The motor head stood well above where any water should collect....
Anything that would contact water was purely mechanical.
Now, I haven't used one / seen one since I was 18, and moved out.
By all the talk, i'm guessing we've gone to submersibles.
Chris.

An installed submersible sump pump is pretty much standard around here. Most people have a battery backup, too, since the most need for a sump pump is during a storm that might knock out the power.  Basically you create an intentional very low spot in the basement or the crawlspace and throw a pump into it.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2018, 10:27:37 AM »

BTW.. this thread resurfaced because a non-audio person posted to it after likely finding it with a search for sump pumps... he violated the full, real name rule and his post was removed.

I continue to favor a forum software feature that auto-locks threads after some period of dormancy.  Any replies after that would go to a moderator to determine if the thread should be unlocked and revived.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2018, 11:02:00 AM »

BTW.. this thread resurfaced because a non-audio person posted to it after likely finding it with a search for sump pumps... he violated the full, real name rule and his post was removed.

I continue to favor a forum software feature that auto-locks threads after some period of dormancy.  Any replies after that would go to a moderator to determine if the thread should be unlocked and revived.
Locking old threads reduces their utility.... how about locking illegal posters.

I saw the post, and didn't respond, but it looks like a bunch of people who should know better did.

JR

PS: Should we report these to moderators too.? I generally only report spam.
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2018, 01:06:56 PM »

Locking old threads reduces their utility.... how about locking illegal posters.

I saw the post, and didn't respond, but it looks like a bunch of people who should know better did.

JR

PS: Should we report these to moderators too.? I generally only report spam.

Illegal posters are locked and later deleted if they create the topic and don't fix whatever issue is present.  Non-compliant responses (usually name issues) are admonished.  If they continue posting Mac (usually) or other mods will deal with it.

I disagree that locking threads reduces their utility, at least on the audio forums of PSW.  You've been here as long as I have, JR, and we've seldom seen meaningful contributions to a thread after it's been dormant for 60 days (often much less).  Leaving old threads open also does not seem to discourage users from creating new threads on the same ideas, concepts or topics because it does not occur to those users that theirs is not the first time anyone has had that particular thought...

My view re autolocking didn't gain traction with the mods, either, so it's time to tilt at other windmills... ;)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2018, 03:20:39 PM »

Illegal posters are locked and later deleted if they create the topic and don't fix whatever issue is present.  Non-compliant responses (usually name issues) are admonished.  If they continue posting Mac (usually) or other mods will deal with it.
I am not sure you answered my question? Should we report name mistakes to moderators?
I disagree that locking threads reduces their utility, at least on the audio forums of PSW.  You've been here as long as I have, JR, and we've seldom seen meaningful contributions to a thread after it's been dormant for 60 days (often much less).  Leaving old threads open also does not seem to discourage users from creating new threads on the same ideas, concepts or topics because it does not occur to those users that theirs is not the first time anyone has had that particular thought...
I can see both sides of this...   I dislike repeating myself, but not so much that I don't constantly do it.

So many of today's questions were already answered multiple times in the past. At least they are reading the old threads.
My view re autolocking didn't gain traction with the mods, either, so it's time to tilt at other windmills... ;)
Mods are underappreciated... thank you for trying to herd the kittens.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: Thread locking
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2018, 04:00:45 PM »

I'm all for auto locking, unfortunately I haven't found where you turn that on in this software. Years ago I tuned on a warning that notified a poster that the thread was more than 120 days old. That's the best I  have been able to do.

Mac

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2018, 05:08:18 PM »

I'm all for auto locking, unfortunately I haven't found where you turn that on in this software. Years ago I tuned on a warning that notified a poster that the thread was more than 120 days old. That's the best I  have been able to do.

Mac

You have to run a script on the server and lock the thread in the DB.  Put the script in the daily cron folder and it will run once a day.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2018, 05:16:45 PM »

Mac

I didn't mean to imply it was a feature of *this* software and in re-reading I can see how it might look that way.  Oops.

Ernie might have some ideas regarding scripts...

In the grand scheme of things a zombie thread is relatively minor.  It's interesting to watch the fresh replies to this thread because the post that triggered the resurrection was removed. 

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band
Sump Pump Electrocution
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2018, 05:25:22 PM »

I agree with much that I’ve just read about utility of all threads versus possibly locking them.

One thing I would love to see, and I suspect  mods would appreciate having, is a feature that would force the real names to be entered before any activity could occur.

It’s been quite a while since I registered on this forum, so I can’t remember exactly, but I don’t think I had a problem putting in my real name.

Is it possible to force this before one can post in this current forum software?

I would also like to echo John Roberts’ thanks to the mods for all the work they do in keeping one of the best resources I’ve ever found on the web thriving.

Best regards,
Bob Charest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ProSoundWeb Community

Sump Pump Electrocution
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2018, 05:25:22 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 24 queries.