ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: What's your favourite loudspeaker system to cover 50 - 2000 people?  (Read 11731 times)

Thomas Lamb

Re: What's your favourite loudspeaker system to cover 50 - 2000 people?
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2015, 08:38:56 AM »

If I had an empty warehouse and was starting over, I would buy Nexo S12s tops and RS18 subs. While there are a few other options out there that sound a little better, these sound great and I don't think anything scales as well as the S12s for the money.

You can place 1 or 2 on a stand, 1 or 2 over a sub or build a horizontal or vertical array with them.

+1 we have shown the NEXO route as Craig said 1or 2 1230 by themselves or over a RS15 or RS 18. You can also put them in the bottom of an array with 1210. We have also added PS15 and PS 10 to the inventory. PS15 for outfills and monitors or SOS of smaller shows and PS10 for front fills and SOS for even smaller shows.

I don't think you can got wrong with the NEXO or the d&b
bigTlamb

"If you suck on a functional analog desk, you'll really suck on a complex digital desk...." Dick Rees

Brian Bolly

• DC/Baltimore and other Major Airports
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2015, 09:11:26 AM »

I would love to hear and play with an STM rig.  Who in the USA has a decent-sized rig?

Morris in Nashville - Chesney is out with it.

Eric Dodson

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2015, 10:15:55 PM »

+1 we have shown the NEXO route as Craig said 1or 2 1230 by themselves or over a RS15 or RS 18. You can also put them in the bottom of an array with 1210. We have also added PS15 and PS 10 to the inventory. PS15 for outfills and monitors or SOS of smaller shows and PS10 for front fills and SOS for even smaller shows.

I don't think you can got wrong with the NEXO or the d&b
Since several people have already suggested the Nexo route... Let me add.
The Nexo Geo S12's (1210's & 1230's) is in my opinion the rig to cover as many bases you as a small company need to cover. Very Flexible with plenty hardware options for different type of events. Our S12 rig is out once or twice every week, (Not Kidding)! Sometime's in a ballroom, outdoor festival concert stage, corporate functions, ground stacked, flown.... We have a total of 24 boxes, (20-1210's & 4 1230's) with 5 array bumpers, double and single yoke stand mounts and line array ground stack hardware...... Making the S12 rig a pretty good $$$$ maker! We also have PS 10's & 15's, Geo & RS Subs, 32 boxes of GeoD, S8's, 45N Monitors, NX4X4 and NX4X1 amps, ect... So it's safe to say we have been Nexo for a long time, and couldn't be happier with our choice.
If we had to do it all over again today; I think we would have got started with the S12 and gone from there..
Good Luck.
Cheers
Eric Dodson
<http://www.specialeventaudio.com>

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2015, 09:18:44 AM »

I have been on the path of a magic box/system that can do what the thread title says - be effective for 50 - 2000 people.  Based on a partner company's NEXO affiliation and my experience with S12, I looked at that product, but ended up making a different choice - JBL Vertec 4886/4883/Danley TH118.

The S12 boxes are pole mountable, but they are HEAVY, and you can put two of them on a stick.  4886 boxes are 34lbs each vs. 80lbs each for the S12+flyware, and you can put 3-4 in the yoke, depending on the circumstance.  I routinely setup 3 4886 in the yoke on tall tripod stands by myself - I don't think I could do that with the Nexo option.  Spec sheets show the 4886 boxes as louder than the S12 boxes 1:1.  Cost is roughly the same as an S12 system.

You can make a longer array with S12 compared to 4886, however with the 4883 LF boxes flown in the array, you can get surprising pattern control using cardioid mode.

I have done shows as small as 75 people with my system, and as large 1000+ people outdoors (the area covered would hold 2500+ people easily).  For most genres, 2000 people is well within the capability of 4886/4883.

HOWEVER...

With the rise of really good sounding small boxes including the SRX-800P series on the lower end and VTX-F and other pro-level boxes on the higher end, I think it's a stretch to use a system capable of 2000 people for a 50 person event from a logistics point of view, unless each of those people are paying $100 for their ticket and expect pretty extreme volume for their very intimate show.

My breakpoint between the speaker-on-stick system and the array is typically 150-200 people, depending on lots of factors.  If you want to work really hard, a larger system can sound great for a small show; it's just more difficult to justify the extra cost and effort to set it up.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2015, 01:42:52 PM »

From a logistics point-of-view it makes perfect sense to have one box in your inventory that does everything.

Unfortunately that box doesn't exist.

In my mind a 12" "array" box is just about perfect. Thats what is so appealing about the Nexo s12 system.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2015, 02:41:24 PM »

Low cost, Reliable, Light weight, Small enough to get through a door, Sets up quick 45 minutes to 1 hour.  Does not use a crane to lift. 

Justin Bartlett

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2015, 04:53:57 PM »

Reach Communications in Minneapolis.

I mixed a band on a Reach STM rig last week in Iowa; it sounded great.

Peter Van Neste.

• Peter Van Neste
    • Stagetex
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2015, 09:55:40 AM »

We've been looking for almost exactly this type of system too. We first looked just over 2 years ago and after listening to a  whole range of different systems including JBL 4886, EM Acoustics Halo, L'ACOUSTICS Kiva etc we heard the L'ACOUSTICS ARCS WIFO system at a demo and were completely blown away.

We invested in a small amount at the time and love that we can put a single speaker on a stand or build larger horizontal and vertical arrays when needed. It's out all the time on anything from a small conference to large indoor and smaller outdoor events which is great from an ROI point of view.

The only reason that we are now considering other options is that we have struggled to find local sources to sub hire extra ARCS WIFO boxes when needed. We're trying the EM Acoustics Halo system on an outdoor event this weekend so looking forward to hearing that as it's becoming an increasingly popular brand here in the UK. I'll be interested to hear what you go for in the end.
----------------

Peter Van Neste

http://www.stagetex.events

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2015, 09:10:48 AM »

We've been looking for almost exactly this type of system too. We first looked just over 2 years ago and after listening to a  whole range of different systems including JBL 4886, EM Acoustics Halo, L'ACOUSTICS Kiva etc we heard the L'ACOUSTICS ARCS WIFO system at a demo and were completely blown away.

We invested in a small amount at the time and love that we can put a single speaker on a stand or build larger horizontal and vertical arrays when needed. It's out all the time on anything from a small conference to large indoor and smaller outdoor events which is great from an ROI point of view.

The only reason that we are now considering other options is that we have struggled to find local sources to sub hire extra ARCS WIFO boxes when needed. We're trying the EM Acoustics Halo system on an outdoor event this weekend so looking forward to hearing that as it's becoming an increasingly popular brand here in the UK. I'll be interested to hear what you go for in the end.
+1 on the Arcs!
They sound great and are very flexable for different setup requitements.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2015, 10:11:18 AM »

Nexo 1210/1230 is hard to beat, very flexible, but it doesn't get as loud as the specs indicate.
 Their processors is a PITA, for some reason I always struggle with them when I tune a system.

FWIW

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2015, 10:11:18 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 26 queries.