ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Driverack 480 vs LMS 700  (Read 8347 times)

Jacob Shaw

Driverack 480 vs LMS 700
« on: June 26, 2015, 04:48:49 AM »

I have $800 and for that I can get  either of these items.  I would really like a 4800 but I'm not sure if I can get one for<$1000.  I have 3 different systems and they are not install, so use would be varied.

Peter Hvedstrup

• Disco-Flex
Re: Driverack 480 vs LMS 700
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 06:17:42 AM »

I have $800 and for that I can get  either of these items.  I would really like a 4800 but I'm not sure if I can get one for<$1000.  I have 3 different systems and they are not install, so use would be varied.

Do you mean the Turbosound LMS700 (Rebadged BSS Omnidrive 388)?

The LMS700 is very limited in funktionality and features but it does sound nice. Unless you own older Turbo speakers like Floodlight i would look elswhere.

The DBX 480 is a good choice but the 4800 sounds much better. For your money i would get a Xilica XP-4080 which sounds great and had great software.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 08:49:09 AM »

The DBX 480 is a good choice but the 4800 sounds much better. For your money i would get a Xilica XP-4080 which sounds great and had great software.

Having owned both, and still using the 4800 I can confirm the above. However, the 480 is light years beyond the 260 class units. The sound is damn good, but not what you'll get through a 4800. Look around and you'll find a 480 for less than $1K. The problem with the 480 will be finding information pertaining to newer cabinets, so if you go that route be prepared to roll your own. Not difficult, but it can be a bit of a challenge. On the plus side any of the higher end dbx DSP's seem to be bullet proof.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Jacob Shaw

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 09:55:25 AM »

I'm sad that the 480 doesn't have afs, but I do mostly djs anyway.  D
Pea the xilica have feedback suppression?  And does the LMS/ omnidrive.  I don't really have any name brand speakers (all preprietory) so I never use the presets.  I read something that suggests that the LMS 700 works exactly like the Omnidrive if you don't use the presets.  Would you still advise staying away from those unless I have old turbos?  I would like to eventually get some floodlight tops, right now I have some tdx stuff that I don't use a whole lot.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 10:10:20 AM »

Pea the xilica have feedback suppression?  And does the LMS/ omnidrive.  I don't really have any name brand speakers (all preprietory) so I never use the presets.  I read something that suggests that the LMS 700 works exactly like the Omnidrive if you don't use the presets.  Would you still advise staying away from those unless I have old turbos?  I would like to eventually get some floodlight tops, right now I have some tdx stuff that I don't use a whole lot.
Unless you really need 4 inputs, I would rather have a new DriveRack 360 than an old DriveRack 480.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 12:16:19 PM »

The OmniDrive FCS388 has only 2 filters per output (only 1 if you use a dynamic filter) and limited input EQ.  We have a pair of them we keep for a legacy system that gets used 2x/year.  I wouldn't buy any more of this 20 year old technology, especially for $800.

Feedback suppression?  That's for folks that don't bother to learn anything about system design, speaker/microphone placement, or why feedback happens to start with.  It's a crutch and generally a rather weak one at that.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 12:55:04 PM »

Ashly makes some great stuff in that price range.  The 3.6 could easily be had for under $800 and the 4.8 for under $1k if you really needed 4 inputs and 8 outputs.

Jacob Shaw

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2015, 12:52:07 AM »

I don't need 4 inputs, but I do need 8 outputs.  4 way stereo.  I also don't need afs either, but it's good insurance.  Before I had driverack I got squeals seldom, now I get them never.  xilica is sweet, but hard to find.  As with the ashley stuff, also sweet, but it doesn't look like it has a very user friendly interface, like you need software.  I have a good MacBook, but I would like to have the option to make adjustment without it.  Anyhow. Thanks for the feedback, I'll probably go with the 480

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2015, 01:21:02 AM »

I don't need 4 inputs, but I do need 8 outputs.  4 way stereo.  I also don't need afs either, but it's good insurance.  Before I had driverack I got squeals seldom, now I get them never.  xilica is sweet, but hard to find.  As with the ashley stuff, also sweet, but it doesn't look like it has a very user friendly interface, like you need software.  I have a good MacBook, but I would like to have the option to make adjustment without it.  Anyhow. Thanks for the feedback, I'll probably go with the 480

I have used Ashly products for several years (analog for a couple decades).  The software is easy to use.  It is very possible to make changes via the front panel controls, just not terribly convenient.  In theory you shouldn't need to make adjustment to SPEAKER processing once you've built your presets, so this probably isn't a big deal.  Very good stuff with great support to help with product questions.

I'd buy the current Ashly product before I'd buy legacy dbx XXX processing.  Seriously.  The dbx is now 3 product generations old.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Dave Aubuchon

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2015, 05:38:36 PM »

Having owned both, and still using the 4800 I can confirm the above. However, the 480 is light years beyond the 260 class units. The sound is damn good, but not what you'll get through a 4800. Look around and you'll find a 480 for less than $1K. The problem with the 480 will be finding information pertaining to newer cabinets, so if you go that route be prepared to roll your own. Not difficult, but it can be a bit of a challenge. On the plus side any of the higher end dbx DSP's seem to be bullet proof.
I have the 480. Like Bob said it sounds very good, especially for the price! You will use all 4 inputs. 1 and 2 for main. 3 and 4 for left and right RTA mic's.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2015, 05:38:36 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.