ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: DIY SUBs design suggestion  (Read 16160 times)

Spenser Hamilton

Re: DIY SUBs design suggestion
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2015, 09:45:53 AM »

Don't waste your time with the BFM designs, my Tuba 30 finally found a use as a work surface for building other speakers on.
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2015, 10:00:01 AM »

Just stick with RCF, B&C, or 18sound and use one of their suggested cabinet designs.

If you buy a higher-end driver and use the suggested cab design it will walk all over the srx718.

The 718 is a midgrade speaker. You would be building something comparable to a higher end touring cabinet.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2015, 07:38:17 PM »

In a couple weeks I'm doing two outdoor gigs with the pair of Cubos.  At one I'll be able to center cluster them, at the other they'll be to the sides.  This will be with DSR112s for tops.  First time I'll use these outdoors.  By all accounts they need a good double 18 like a 728 to keep up with them.  Driving with a Crest Pro9200 so plenty of power.  And according to the web site, a single Cubo 18 is supposed to be equivalent to a 728, so we'll see.  Till now I've only used them indoors where you get room gain.

JohnGeorge

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2015, 09:37:40 PM »

@Spenser - Thats got to be a decent office table. Mine;s got creative 2.1 :)
yes, BFM aren't on my top 3 list.

@Tim - thankyou, I like it when u said "walk over".
gives me a lot of confidence to go for it. (only thing was that I'm going to build something, invest time and money (total building cost as well as expensive drivers) without even listening to one.
but, you comment clears the confusion and I'm happy. :)

@Stephen - i guess i won't have 2-3 weeks to wait for the comparison unless something goes wrong. but, i'll still be interested in your findings. CUBO 18 or Sub when i compared to B&C Designs is much bigger and that is one thing that is keeping me away from building them. although in the begining i did have CUBO's on the list. but that time i wasn't aware of B&C Designs (Thanks to Bill for suggesting it).

thankyou all once again for you help and suggestions. at the moment it looks like I'm going with one of B&C designs and waiting for some replies (hopefully, the emails read what i want to see).
1. S18CN - driver 18SW115 (Smaller than S18BN which will also makes it slightly lighter than S18BN which was one of the main criteria)
2. S18AN - driver 18NW100 (2nd choice if I'm not able to find the right amp to power 18SW115)
3. S18BN - driver 18SW115 (If someone convinces me that a slightly bigger box will give me +3db more than S18CN when coupled).

we are not done yet, please continue with your suggestions, if any. :)

ScottCameron

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2015, 12:15:21 PM »

I know you may have decided on a design.  I built 4 CBEs and love them.  Loaded with 18LW2400 drivers.

http://forum.speakerplans.com/extended-cb18-cyclops_topic45015.html

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2015, 01:34:00 PM »

I know you may have decided on a design.  I built 4 CBEs and love them.

And what do you have sitting on top?

Steve.

ScottCameron

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2015, 02:41:03 PM »

And what do you have sitting on top?

Steve.

a dual 12/1.4 of my own design and build.  Eminence Delta Pro 12, with Faital Pro HF146/LTH142.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2015, 05:24:03 PM »

@Stephen - i guess i won't have 2-3 weeks to wait for the comparison unless something goes wrong. but, i'll still be interested in your findings. CUBO 18 or Sub when i compared to B&C Designs is much bigger and that is one thing that is keeping me away from building them. although in the begining i did have CUBO's on the list. but that time i wasn't aware of B&C Designs (Thanks to Bill for suggesting it).

Forgot about this thread and saw it pop up.  Not sure if the OP has made his decision and built boxes.  Noticed that he felt the B&C vented boxes were more compact.  The Cubo's are pretty much 2' square, basically the same size as the vented cabs.  A bit more wood involved so they may be slightly heavier.

As to the gigs.  With compressed pre-recorded music there was more than enough bottom.  But with live, the kick drum wasn't as strong.  Musical and solid but it wasn't going to make anyone go home raving about how killer the subs were.  I did do one additional gig at the venue where I have to spread the cabinets after buying a Soundcraft Expression and with the additional processing, the drums did sound much bigger.  Even with the spread cabs I didn't get as substantial of a power alley as I'd had with my previous vented cabs.  I don't know if the horn or bandpass aspect of the box affects this.  The was an upright bass in one group and it had a good amount of boom and thump for the music around the 400 odd people who were there.

Bottom line, for next year since I have the drivers I'm going to build another two.  Just to be able to spread out the origin and be able to hit folks in the gut a bit more impressively.  That's how you get more work.  Given the bandpass part the the cab giving a peak around 60Hz I was expecting a bit more kick drum thump.  I didn't crank any eq into the bottom to try and create it.  Just playing the drum as it sounded and putting it in the mix in balance with the bass.

Marjan Milosevic

• MM-acoustics
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2015, 09:51:51 PM »

Where exactly in the Middle east are you?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2015, 09:51:51 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.