ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: MBP vs MBAir  (Read 7567 times)

Luke Robinson

• audio gods
Re: MBP vs MBAir
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2015, 09:28:18 AM »

The physical size difference between a new Macbook pro 13" and a Mac book Air 13" are pretty marginal, I have both (between me and my wife) and they are so similar in size that i wouldn't factor that into your decision, the Pro is going to spec better off the shelf, and you may be able to find one space to your liking in the refurbished section of the apple online store that could save you a few bucks.

Peter Kowalczyk

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2015, 12:44:17 PM »

Thanks for the replies, all.  I agree that dealing with an external drive on-site is added hassle if it can be avoided, so replacing the optical drive with a second internal drive in an MPB sounds appealing (didn't know you could do that!).  Given the better spec-per-dollar on the MBPs, I'll start looking at refurbs to see if one might work (last MBP was a refurb as well, and worked well for me).

Grant Birchard

• New Destiny Productions
MBP vs MBAir
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2015, 12:51:12 PM »

The extraction of the optical drive and install of the SSD is delicate work. Takes about 30 minutes.. If you have super fat fingers.. you'll be frustrated. Other World Computing's instructional videos are helpful and their prices are amazing. The install kit they send has all the "specialized" tools you'll need for the job. But it is not "an easy" install. I did it myself… But when I was done I wished I had paid someone to do it. I still had one screw left over when I was done… Always a scary thing. But it's worked perfectly from the moment I started it up the first time after the install.

They also have a kit for replacing the 5400/7200 HDD with an SSD as well. So you can have two SSDs inside.

That's what I did. My computer starts up in 11 seconds. ProTools launches in 4 seconds. A 40 tracks session with 2 to 3 plug-ins on eaxh channel opens up in 15 seconds. :)

Good luck!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 12:55:01 PM by Grant Birchard »

John J Saunders

• John J Saunders
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2015, 05:28:03 AM »

Unless I am missing something none of the current Mac laptops have an optical drive anymore. I have a retina and it is great. Only issue is my smaart6 didn't want to install well but I got it working after manually adding the folders in the library.
John Saunders

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2015, 10:44:18 AM »

Unless I am missing something none of the current Mac laptops have an optical drive anymore. I have a retina and it is great. Only issue is my smaart6 didn't want to install well but I got it working after manually adding the folders in the library.
Quite true...
I believe the last 13"s to have the optical is the mid 2012 and early 2013 non-retina.  Just went through looking for a used one and ended up with a 2012.

Grant Birchard

• New Destiny Productions
MBP vs MBAir
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2015, 10:45:46 AM »

Quite true...
I believe the last 13"s to have the optical is the mid 2012 and early 2013 non-retina.  Just went through looking for a used one and ended up with a 2012.
Yeah.. I have early 2013 non Retina glossy i7 13".. I think it was the last (best one for audio) to have 2 bays inside.

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2015, 03:42:59 AM »

+1
It is never recommended to record to your system drive. 

Lee

FWIW, the SSD in my MacBook Pro does over 1GB/s (yes, upper case G) for read and write. 

Time will tell, but the rule of thumb about recording to a separate drive may be ready for retirement.  10 years ago this was an obvious maxim, but perhaps not anymore. 

I recorded live gigs (16 - ~24 tracks) for years on a single internal harddisk (shared with OSX) with only one dropout in 6 years.  My new SSD is about 10 times faster. 

Or, maybe OS X is actually better than Windoze in this respect.
Mark McFarlane

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2015, 03:49:44 AM »

Apple still sells ONE computer with an integrated CD/DVD drive, the MacBook Pro 13. Its their cheapest laptop and was first released in June 2012 with no updates since.  So, if you want to be a new 3-year-old laptop you can get a CD/DVD drive.
Mark McFarlane

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2015, 03:49:44 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 25 queries.