ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: 9 v rechargeables  (Read 11854 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
9 v rechargeables
« on: June 16, 2015, 01:36:07 PM »

Last time I asked for some suggestions on rechargeable batteries and chargers it was for AA and AAA. However, what are you guys using for 9v?
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Steve Oldridge

Re: 9 v rechargeables
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 03:13:35 PM »

Last time I asked for some suggestions on rechargeable batteries and chargers it was for AA and AAA. However, what are you guys using for 9v?
Deb, never used them myself, but have heard from others (including band mates) who have that they don't do real well on recharges. My guys moved back to standard energizers or copper tops for IEM (PSM200) use.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 04:40:07 PM »

Deb, never used them myself, but have heard from others (including band mates) who have that they don't do real well on recharges. My guys moved back to standard energizers or copper tops for IEM (PSM200) use.

Thanks Steve... Do you know what the main issue seems to be?.... I have gotten into a habit of recharging my AAs every 2 normal length shows. That way I never get close to running out of power. and I keep to my own schedule so I never forget. So I have no problem charging often if that is the case or do they just not charge fully?
How long do your guys get out of standard 9 volts in iems?
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

John Rutirasiri

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 06:36:37 PM »

Thanks Steve... Do you know what the main issue seems to be?.... I have gotten into a habit of recharging my AAs every 2 normal length shows. That way I never get close to running out of power. and I keep to my own schedule so I never forget. So I have no problem charging often if that is the case or do they just not charge fully?
How long do your guys get out of standard 9 volts in iems?

The main issue I've encountered with NiMH rechargeable 9V's is that they do not seem to last past 2-3 hours -- "falls off the cliff" fast.  This may be that actual voltage tends to be 8.4V at full charge, or they just don't handle continuous current draw of a wireless mic very well.  Technology has moved on, so the current generation rechargeables may have overcome these issues.  (For things that have peak current draw such as camera flashes, rechargeables do very well.)

John R.
ClearImpact Sound & Event Services, Inc.
Sound/Lighting/Corporate A/V

"If it ain't broke, make it better."

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 06:43:16 PM »

The main issue I've encountered with NiMH rechargeable 9V's is that they do not seem to last past 2-3 hours -- "falls off the cliff" fast.  This may be that actual voltage tends to be 8.4V at full charge, or they just don't handle continuous current draw of a wireless mic very well.  Technology has moved on, so the current generation rechargeables may have overcome these issues.  (For things that have peak current draw such as camera flashes, rechargeables do very well.)

John R.

Yeah, the NiMH 9V don't work well for audio use.  However, the Lithium-Polymer and Lithium-ion ones work VERY well.

For LiPos i use iPower.  They are expensive, but they last WAY longer than alkalines with no memory affect.  I've got about 8-10 of these that are about 3 years old and they're still going strong.  I've also had pretty good success with Tenergy Li-ion 9V.  These are much less expensive than the iPowers.  Haven't used them for as long as my iPowers, but they've held up well so far.  For both of these you'll need a charger designed to charge them.

i forget where i've purchased these, but a Google search should get you setup...
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 12:55:59 AM »

Yeah, the NiMH 9V don't work well for audio use.  However, the Lithium-Polymer and Lithium-ion ones work VERY well.

For LiPos i use iPower.  They are expensive, but they last WAY longer than alkalines with no memory affect.  I've got about 8-10 of these that are about 3 years old and they're still going strong.  I've also had pretty good success with Tenergy Li-ion 9V.  These are much less expensive than the iPowers.  Haven't used them for as long as my iPowers, but they've held up well so far.  For both of these you'll need a charger designed to charge them.

i forget where i've purchased these, but a Google search should get you setup...

Thanks Brian- I'm on it!

Andrew Makinson

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2015, 08:56:25 AM »

For LiPos i use iPower.  They are expensive, but they last WAY longer than alkalines with no memory affect. 

I agree. 

We stopped using iPower in the Shure ULX-P because they won't grip the terminals well and they show low battery even though they last for hours.  Those are the things to watch out for.
--
Andrew Makinson
Grace Covenant Church
Chantilly, VA

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2015, 10:19:13 AM »

Depending on how mobile you really need to be... I found the Shure PS9US in their catalog; it's a 9-volt battery replacement power supply. So, takes wall power, and ends up with a 9V contact, that you can then install into your IEM bodyback in lieu of a battery- so you're wired down, but no battery concerns.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2015, 11:14:22 AM »

Depending on how mobile you really need to be... I found the Shure PS9US in their catalog; it's a 9-volt battery replacement power supply. So, takes wall power, and ends up with a 9V contact, that you can then install into your IEM bodyback in lieu of a battery- so you're wired down, but no battery concerns.

-Ray

Thanks Ray. I have a number of  individual headphone amps and a 6 way rack mount version for wired options  - keys player/ drummer etc so  I wouldn't have need of something like this. Good idea for anyone needing to adapt any 9 volt unit to mains though...

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2015, 04:12:47 PM »

-Ray

I use these to get through a wall to a remote speaker or across a pathway I can't have wires on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2015, 04:12:47 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 22 queries.