ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Topic swerve to rant about line arrays without answering the OP  (Read 19839 times)

Tom Danley

Re: Re: topic swerve
« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2015, 09:48:08 AM »

But how much experience do you have?   ;D

Hi Stephen
Ivan was being modest in his reply, not to put words in his mouth but I would  add that he has aligned several thousand sound system installations in his career and also tuned several dozen large stadium installations and many smaller ones.   
This is different than where he cut his teeth in commando / live sound though because there is a lot more time allowed to design, set up, measure and optimize / tweak the systems.     
While it is possible, I would doubt there are many here who have done as much of the hands on work as he has or has had as much experience working with and measuring many types and brands of loudspeakers.   Sorry if I embarrassed you Ivan.
Best,
Tom Danley
Danley Sound Labs

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2015, 08:01:01 AM »

I have had a chance to chat with Ivan and he does know a thing or two...Especially a good place for Southern Barbeque. ;-)

We like to throw around "comparison" data but in reality, it's very rare that those comparisons are made in properly controlled situations. Quite often we rely on our memory of what we heard.
Problematic at best.
I find that  it's extremely rare that I can actually spec out the system I want.
Most of my gigs are making the best out of what I'm given, good rig or not. (sigh)
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2015, 12:14:52 PM »

We like to throw around "comparison" data but in reality, it's very rare that those comparisons are made in properly controlled situations. Quite often we rely on our memory of what we heard.

Actually most of my experience has been in a direct side by side, listen to system A, now listen to system B etc setups.

In other cases the differences (same place-same sources-different times) have been huge-even so far as the OWNERS of the expensive line array systems laughing at THEIR system because it was so much worse than what we brought.

Just a couple of the "system size" comparisons.  These are all with the "top of the line" products by the manufacturers-NOT the "baby system"

36 line arrays and 24 subs vs 2 Danley tops and 2 subs.  The line array only got halfway to the intended "target area" and was considered "unlistenable" at only halfway there.

36 line arrays, 32 subs vs 3 Danley tops and 4 subs.  The owner of the system said he could barely hear/understand his system while the Danley system was clear.

24 or 28 Line array tops vs 2 Danley tops.  WHen the line array system was turned on, it sounded like it took a 150' step backwards.

14 line arrays vs 1 Danley.  The owner of the line arrays said his system was nowhere nearly as clear. 

And there are more-but you get the idea.

So please explain to me how the sightlines are better with a line array (because it it physically larger)-or it is lighter-or less expensive-or takes up less truck space etc etc.

Or even the fact that it "sounds better".  I have yet to experience a case that a line array sounded better.

I guess it depends on what you are comparing to what, but not  all products are created equal.

A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2015, 12:14:52 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 25 queries.