ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Allen & Heath: dLive Series  (Read 48588 times)

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
Re: New Allen & Heath: dLive Series
« Reply #80 on: December 08, 2017, 03:34:44 PM »

Ah! Apologies for misinterpreting your post. Hope that you enjoy your coming SQ.

No worries! I rather enjoyed your descriptions of use and the technical bench testing; I'd love to see a report/blog post if they did one!
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #81 on: December 08, 2017, 06:00:04 PM »

Hey Jeff, sorry I forgot to respond!

Absolutely! You're a good day's drive away (8hrs), but I might have my SQ6 by then (supposedly 1st week Jan) and we could all have a good fun day. Maybe Art would come by as well and we could have a PSW get-together :)

Let me know when you're going to do the demo!

No worries!  I'll PM you the details as they come available and we'll go from there!

Peter Morris

« Reply #82 on: December 09, 2017, 01:38:30 AM »

Adlib Productions in the UK has most major boards and just purchased D-live and they not only thought that it sounded better, but their tech dept. ran tests and proved it on the bench as well. See below is a statement from their tech., George Puttock.

"You will be pleased to know that these are literally the cleanest digital boards we own. We stuck it on our posh Audio Precision testgear and found that both the IMD, THD, THD+n and 1/f noise to be far far far lower than any console (or processor) we own. The THD and IMD we measured actually whooped the published specs, even when 1dB below clip, AT ALL FREQUENCIES!
Most manufacturers quote their THD spec at 1k or another spot frequency. You measure them and find them to conform to the specs, but when you look at other spot frequencies, the THD is though the roof. Not the dLive, which now supersedes all of our existing gubbins and now becomes our quality benchmark in Adlib, even surpassing Lake! (Which has bloody awesome specs for the record)...
Don't think I even need to mention how the latency is even faster both synchro and async than virtually every other digital console on the planet.

"I’m aware of a major firm in the UK that has done some in depth testing and they came to the conclusion that the dLive was the best sounding console they own … and they have a serious collection of consoles!"

That's the company and statement I was referring to in my above post Scott ... thanks for posting it :-)

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #83 on: June 16, 2018, 10:43:36 PM »

Ok, maybe you guys that have the dLive system can answer this. I can't seem to get any answers on the A&H forum, unfortunately!

I'm very interested in having each musician use their own iPad using OneMix to control their own IEM mix. Many pro musicians I work with (and Directors, Backline techs, etc.) would like to be able to also PFL channels into their mix. I've heard the ME-1 can do this, but I don't think OneMix can do this natively. So... I'm wondering if there's a workaround...
1. Can each musician have their own PAFL bus? I’d heard you can have multiple PAFL buses on the dLive…
2. Can each musician solo their channels in OneMix and have it show up on their dedicated PAFL bus? It seems like OneMix doesn't have a PAFL function?
2. I know with the latest firmware (1.70), you can route mixes into a PAFL bus. Can it route to ANY of the PAFL buses if you have one for each musician?
3. Is there a way that the mix that’s routed into the musician’s PAFL bus can be made to mute when they solo a channel?

Any thoughts on how to be able to give each musician their own PAFL bus that they can control from OneMix?
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #84 on: June 17, 2018, 01:02:56 AM »

How many musicians are you talking about?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #85 on: June 17, 2018, 03:19:05 AM »

How many musicians are you talking about?

Does that matter? Not sure why you’re asking that.
There’s 64 buses available, so one could have potentially 21 stereo IEM mixes with 22 (mono) PAFL, so 21 musicians each with their own mix and PAFL plus one more for the ME.
Not sure if there’s a limit to the number of OneMix users on a system, all the documentation says is “several” iPads can be connected...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
-Andy

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #86 on: June 17, 2018, 02:21:04 PM »

Does that matter? Not sure why you’re asking that.
There’s 64 buses available, so one could have potentially 21 stereo IEM mixes with 22 (mono) PAFL, so 21 musicians each with their own mix and PAFL plus one more for the ME.
Not sure if there’s a limit to the number of OneMix users on a system, all the documentation says is “several” iPads can be connected...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The number of simultaneous OneMix connections was why I was curious. I don’t know the dLive but most others seem to have a number of 8 or fewer for individual mixes.

rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #87 on: June 17, 2018, 05:18:57 PM »

For the sake of my question, the number of mixes/musicians/PAFL is <= whatever the max possible is on the dLive system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
-Andy

Andrew Hollis

« Reply #88 on: June 17, 2018, 06:57:59 PM »

I'm very interested in having each musician use their own iPad using OneMix to control their own IEM mix. Many pro musicians I work with (and Directors, Backline techs, etc.) would like to be able to also PFL channels into their mix. I've heard the ME-1 can do this, but I don't think OneMix can do this natively. So... I'm wondering if there's a workaround...
1. Can each musician have their own PAFL bus? I’d heard you can have multiple PAFL buses on the dLive…
2. Can each musician solo their channels in OneMix and have it show up on their dedicated PAFL bus? It seems like OneMix doesn't have a PAFL function?
2. I know with the latest firmware (1.70), you can route mixes into a PAFL bus. Can it route to ANY of the PAFL buses if you have one for each musician?
3. Is there a way that the mix that’s routed into the musician’s PAFL bus can be made to mute when they solo a channel?

Any thoughts on how to be able to give each musician their own PAFL bus that they can control from OneMix?

No software app-based cue mix system allows for 'artist PFL', on any console. There are a few reasons why when you think about it:
  • Hardware cue mixers can do this because they are actual mixers with discrete audio inputs and their own solo buses. Software apps are merely interfaces for the features of the console itself. Which leads to...
  • On mixing consoles there is no concept of a muted aux send—there is only on or off. Therefore, there is no actual functional ability to mute without also removing that send fader entirely from the mix. All consoles are like this AFAIK.
  • Lastly, solo buses on live consoles are for the engineer, not the musicians, as far as current thinking goes. So there are not the numbers of buses to accommodate many musicians.
The workaround for an app user is to mute or turn down everything but the thing they are interested in. Or, since all consoles have behaved this way thus far, including in the studio, it doesn't seem like a deal breaker. If it is, one must either alter the users' expectations, or use a hardware mixer.

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #89 on: June 17, 2018, 07:51:13 PM »

Well, just about everything you said is wrong.
Also, if you don’t have a dLive or understand how it works, why are you even commenting?
I’ve no interest in derailing this thread by debating your points, if you’d like to know why you’re wrong, send me a PM or start another thread, please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
-Andy

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #89 on: June 17, 2018, 07:51:13 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 24 queries.