ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: I want some Good Quality and really Durable DI’s; what should I get?  (Read 11186 times)

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......

Whirlwind IMP's for passive, active are BOSS DI-1 and Countryman 85's (lose the 9V, it just causes trouble) In 30 years, never had a failure. Can't go wrong with Radial either. When I was buying, Radial only had a model or 2. (30 years ago !) I already had IMP's and 85's, and a guitar buddy passed me a BOSS to try. I liked, bought 3.
So, 6 Imps, 6 85's and 3 BOSS
I've had the Avalon and a few others on my deck, but it was nothing an 85 couldn't have done. It all comes down to which one has the best impedance match to the source. Many times I've been quite surprised at the lowly IMP.
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Greg_Cameron

• Cameron Pro Audio

With modern gear, in reinforcement environments, differences between passive and active are more academic than practical.

If your active DIs are have transformer coupled outputs that's true. However, if your active DIs are aren't, you won't get the true galvanic isolation that a passive DI will provide in it's place. I've run into that on occasion.
"Procrastinators of the world - contemplate uniting!"

Cameron Pro Audio

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA

Might be worth looking at this one:

http://www.radialeng.com/prod8.php

Depending on your stage plot this could reduce cable clutter.  Looks like 8 ProDI in a single rack mount.

I just bought one of these for an 8 channel sound module that was driving my board shit house. Lot's features, incredible sound quality, incredible build quality, and everything I need in a single rack space. Features include dual inputs, ground lift, PAD, etc., and did I mention the incredible sound?

I see IMP mentioned. Worst sounding budget box on the face of the planet.

For acoustic players with the need I also purchased a pair of Fishman Aura DI's. More than what's needed but very nice sounding and very flexible.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Jim McKeveny

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA

Because of the connectors that will stand up straight if you don't lay the box on it's side?
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Josh Millward

• Meridian, MS

Impractical layout for stage use.

I'm going to disagree with you on that one. In fact, I find it highly practical for crowded stages.

The connectors are up in the air when it is on its back so I can't accidentally / inadvertently step on a 1/4" connector and break it off.

Also, if you lay it on its side, it still takes up less space than most other DI's because all the connectors are on the same side.

Lastly, I love the simplicity of operation and quality of construction. With Jensen transformers inside, these are really great DI's.

http://lbpinc.com/DI.html
Josh Millward
Danley Sound Labs

Stephen Kirby

Another vote for the Radials.  Built like tanks.  I have a few cheap Whirlwind and ART DIs but the passive Radials are the first thing I reach for.  I have a BSS that I've compared to my old bass player's Countryman (which he swore by) and with the bass I couldn't tell the difference.  If anything the BSS is slightly warmer.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC

Another vote for the Radials.  Built like tanks.  I have a few cheap Whirlwind and ART DIs but the passive Radials are the first thing I reach for.  I have a BSS that I've compared to my old bass player's Countryman (which he swore by) and with the bass I couldn't tell the difference.  If anything the BSS is slightly warmer.

Has anyone tried the radial stage bugs yet (sb-2) ? 
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services

Has anyone tried the radial stage bugs yet (sb-2) ?

I have 2 SB-5 and love them.

I have one Type 85 cause sometimes it gets asked for.
I have 2 ProDIs for budget things
The rest are J48 and JDI. I want one more JDI and a dual unit for stereo keys
I also have a PCDI , a Swiss army DI :-)

The only problem I had with a couple of J48s was the nuts on the 1/4" jacks coming loose. I called Radial and they sent me a Baggie of the nuts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Rick Powell

In general, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the usual suspects from Countryman or Radial. 

+1, those are the only flavors I have.  I have a Countryman 85 that has been going strong since 1984 or so without a hiccup.  I had to send a Radial ProDI back for service once, and they quickly fixed it under warranty and got it back to me.

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: I want some Good Quality and really Durable DI’s; what should I get?
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2015, 01:20:27 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 23 queries.