ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Forget Soldering!  (Read 14731 times)

Thomas Le

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Forget Soldering!
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 09:34:01 PM »

http://www.neutrik.us/en-us/xlr/dl-series/nc3md-s-1-b
http://www.redco.com/Neutrik-NC3MD-S-1-B.html

Now I can screw it in!  ;D

If I saw a provider use those I would think they were too incompetent to do business with.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 09:51:31 PM »

If I saw a provider use those I would think they were too incompetent to do business with.

In the install business, screw terminals or insulation displacement is the rule, not the exception.  It may have something to do with having the electrical trades not only pulling wire, but doing the terminations as well. 

I'm still a soldering iron fan myself, but I'm starting to become a bit of a dinosaur!  ;D

GTD

paul bell

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 10:10:09 PM »

I like the idea. I drive around servicing a lot of little venues and eateries. I'd toss a handful of them in my truck for those moments I need a quickie fix without the hassle of soldering.

And the principal is exactly the same as these:

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 10:20:08 PM »

The patchbay I put together in my amp rack about 4 years ago has screw terminal XLR receptacles like these. I didn't even think about it when I installed them. I am sure they are Neutrik….They have held up well and are still going strong.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 12:35:45 AM »

Soldering has it's issues too.  It's been my life for the last 30 years and has changed a bit with the elimination of lead and the plating on terminations.  Done well it can be as reliable as anything, but it's fairly easy to get something that's cosmetically nice but can't withstand stress or vibration, which we have a lot of in live sound.

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2015, 01:58:34 AM »

I put the same argument out over IDC connectors a couple of months ago.  Learned a lot on the long term reliability, they still make me nervous.

For panels, if you dressed it nice, cut all the wires the same length and provided stress relief it could be OK. 

To me it lowers the bar, the person drawn to these is likely to be someone looking to cut corners or otherwise take the easy way out.

Debbie surely doesn't fit into that category so my stereotyping make be way off, as it usually is.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2015, 06:15:47 AM »

All three approaches (solder/IDC/screw) have their benefits and drawbacks.

Depending on the situation, one may be more appropriate than another.

And, of course, screw termination may be much easier in a confined space or where you may find a soldering iron inconvenient. (although this often favours IDC even more).

And let's face it - most of our data & comms goes through multiple IDC connections, and is pretty darned reliable.  Soldering all of those connections would put up prices massively, as well as being much harder to bugfix / reconfigure.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 06:19:00 AM by Alec Spence »

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2015, 06:43:12 AM »

All three approaches (solder/IDC/screw) have their benefits and drawbacks.

Depending on the situation, one may be more appropriate than another.

And, of course, screw termination may be much easier in a confined space or where you may find a soldering iron inconvenient. (although this often favours IDC even more).

And let's face it - most of our data & comms goes through multiple IDC connections, and is pretty darned reliable.  Soldering all of those connections would put up prices massively, as well as being much harder to bugfix / reconfigure.

I would be fine if someone came up with a nice crimping system for XLR terminations.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Brian Bolly

• DC/Baltimore and other Major Airports
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2015, 08:49:27 AM »

I would be fine if someone came up with a nice crimping system for XLR terminations.

Amphenol actually has them (well, IDC) for cable-mount XLRs.

http://www.amphenolaudio.com/Amphenol_Metal_XLR_Cable_IDC.html

I don't think I'd be comfortable using them in a portable application, but when you're at the end of a 75' boom lift working on an installed system, they're very convenient to use instead of dealing with a soldering iron.  They're extremely quick/easy to terminate, and do feel pretty solid.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2015, 08:49:27 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.