ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: How many chances should they get?  (Read 5866 times)

Brook Hovland

• DiA Events
How many chances should they get?
« on: May 23, 2015, 08:35:11 PM »

Here are the last few lines in an email that I just sent. 4th screw up in a row for this well known manufacturer. The product is unusable.

"I understand that this is a holiday weekend but here is what I am going to do:
I am taking pictures and a video, writing a review, sharing our emails and posting it all on several popular pro sound and AV forums. I will post them on Tuesday morning at 11 AM MST if the situation is not resolved by then.

Have a great holiday weekend!
brook"

Thanks...  I feel better!

Lyle Williams

Re: How many chances should they get?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 06:45:02 AM »

Vote with your feet.  And wallet.

Your lawyer probably wouldn't have let you word things quite the way you did...

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 07:36:29 AM »

What you should not have done is given the manufacturer an ultimatum and then published it on PSW. What you should have done is describe the problem and product for us. Do you intend to apologize to the manufacturer if the problem is end user error, or an improperly implemented piece of hardware?
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Brook Hovland

• DiA Events
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015, 10:17:19 AM »

What you should not have done is given the manufacturer an ultimatum and then published it on PSW. What you should have done is describe the problem and product for us. Do you intend to apologize to the manufacturer if the problem is end user error, or an improperly implemented piece of hardware?

Like I told the manufacturer, I intend to detail my company's experience and review the product factually if they do not react by a deadline.
If I had done as you suggest, I would have not given the manufacturer a chance to fix things... not sure how that would have helped anyone.

No names have been published on PSW.

I can share that it was not a user error or improper deployment but simply sloppy work and a blatant lack of attention to detail.

John L Nobile

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2015, 12:51:07 PM »

No names have been published on PSW.

I can share that it was not a user error or improper deployment but simply sloppy work and a blatant lack of attention to detail.

In other words, it's just another day.

John Rutirasiri

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2015, 04:42:50 PM »

I once did that to the mfg that bought out M-Audio (regarding audio interface firewire driver that didn't work.)  Got me nowhere...they took their sweet time (a year.)

I was so upset I ran over the interface with my car.  That got me nowhere either: it was a software issue, not a hardware problem!

Ended up going with Prism Sound and never looked back.  Granted it was only $300 bath

John R.
ClearImpact Sound & Event Services, Inc.
Sound/Lighting/Corporate A/V

"If it ain't broke, make it better."

Lyle Williams

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2015, 01:59:34 AM »

Man, I feel the pain.  Vendors can suck sometimes.  Even the good ones.  The vendor I hate least uses the informal moto "We suck less".  At least that freely concedes that sometimes stuff goes wrong.

Statements along the lines of "if you don't do XXX then I'll do YYY" can be risky.

It might be safer to say "Things aren't working so I'm documenting the product behaviour and reaching out to other people in the industry for help too."

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2015, 03:24:44 AM »

put yourself in their shoes before you post.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2015, 09:56:42 AM »

put yourself in their shoes before you post.

If I screwed up a client's gig, I wouldn't be expected to be asked back a second time, let alone 4 times in a row, after botching things up EVERY TIME.

If I was in their shoes, I would figure out what's going wrong after the first foul up so it doesn't happen again. Brook did not mention if this was the same problem each time, or something new-- but still, if you make a mistake once, I would have the expectation that the manufacturer would be very detailed the 2nd (and third… and 4th times…) time around to ensure that everything goes smoothly. That they didn't do that… a public "what should I do, here's the deets" post from Brook isn't out of line.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

David Allred

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2015, 12:04:52 PM »

So, what is it not doing that it is supposed to do?  I think an email sent on Sat before Mem day with a deadline of Tuesday AM is maybe a bit aggressive (and unrealistic).  Perhaps you want to post the info more than you want resolution?  You did well in not going ballistic after the 2nd failure.  Kudos for that.

David

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2015, 12:04:52 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 25 queries.