ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Slight damage to speaker surround  (Read 6432 times)

Brian O'Shaughnessy

• Vitamin C Entertainment
Slight damage to speaker surround
« on: May 23, 2015, 01:39:40 AM »

So we have some powered dual 18" subs with built in limiters. These models to be exact http://www.pksound.ca/loudspeakers/cx800/ we do lots of sound and some rentals. I think during one of the rentals they were probably pushed too hard. I would not say it's totally cracked, but a tad "frayed". Is this a recone job? Is there a quick fix that might salvage from further damage? We just did another show tonight and they sounded great so no discernible audio quality loss as of yet. Just curious on feedback on the best alternative. I feel as though a recone is a fairly expensive option considering they seem to be working very well.

Thanks for any input!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 12:58:00 AM by Brian O'Shaughnessy »
Vitamin C Entertainment
http://vcentertain.com

chuck clark

Re: Slight damage to speaker surround
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 06:51:58 AM »

Hi Brian. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! That said, I have had very good results with extending the service of speakers with cracked surrounds by carefully applying a thin layer of clear silicone to the damaged area.
Just be sure to allow a full 24 hr for the silicone to "cure" (dry completely) so the damaged area doesn't separate again.
These are a bass reflex design, right?  you ARE using a subsonic filter on them, to prevent over excursion, right?  Looks like they might have been hammering on the front grill under heavy use a bit.
Still completely functional is good, but if that continues, it could eventually cause real damage. Some users have no real idea of functional limits so the filters must be engaged so they don't tear up your nice equipment. Good luck!
Chuck 

David Parker

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 08:40:26 AM »

I poked a hole in one of my 15s years ago, I think it was with a screwdriver. I put some black silicone and some paper I think (I've slept since then) and it worked fine for years. Then the whole patch came out, and I had a bigger hole. My reconer poked his finger through the old cone. The patch didn't cause the problem, it identified the problem, the cones were rotten from age and outdoor use (lots of humdity in Texas). So the patch did fine until the rest of the cone got old.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 09:42:49 AM »

Either the photo isn't very clear-or I am missing it-but exactly WHERE is the damage?

I see a spot on one roll that has some brown stuff on it (looks like cardboard or wood) -that is nothing to worry about, and  dark line down in the body of the cone where the surround attaches to the cone body. 

Or is it somewhere else?

Those are very different parts of the cone and require completely different repair techniques.

Can you highlight the problem for me-my eyes are not what they used to be :(
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 03:27:59 PM »

So we have some powered dual 18" subs with built in limiters. These models to be exact http://www.pksound.ca/loudspeakers/cx800/ we do lots of sound and some rentals. I think during one of the rentals they were probably pushed too hard. I would not say it's totally cracked, but a tad "frayed". Is this a recone job? Is there a quick fix that might salvage from further damage? We just did another show tonight and they sounded great so no discernible audio quality loss as of yet. Just curious on feedback on the best alternative. I feel as though a recone is a fairly expensive option considering they seem to be working very well.

Thanks for any input!
Actually it looks like a factory flaw.  Get a small tube of black liquid rubber and apply a small amount with your finger.  Basically looks like a cosmetic issue from the pic.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 03:53:31 PM »

Actually it looks like a factory flaw.  Get a small tube of black liquid rubber and apply a small amount with your finger.  Basically looks like a cosmetic issue from the pic.
What are you seeing that I am not?

Can you give me an idea where the "problem" is and what part of the photo it is in?
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 08:00:53 AM »

What are you seeing that I am not?

Can you give me an idea where the "problem" is and what part of the photo it is in?
Problem? Where is that in my description?  I see the black coating
is missing off the surround.  You cant see that?

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 08:39:32 AM »

Problem? Where is that in my description?  I see the black coating
is missing off the surround.  You cant see that?
You said damage so I assumed a problem

I still don't see where it is missing

As I said earlier I see a spot that looks like some cardboard stuck to the surround

Is that where the damage is?

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Matthew Knischewsky

• Kitchener Ontario Canada
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2015, 01:23:31 PM »

As I said earlier I see a spot that looks like some cardboard stuck to the surround

To me it looks like some cardboard or wood fibres stuck to the surround. It also looks like there's some debris of the same color hanging around on the cone and down where the dust cap meets the cone. In any case, what's on the surround doesn't look like serious damage to me, I'd try to pick the fibres off carefully with a finger nail but if they didn't come off easily and I wanted that area black I'd touch-up with a sharpie :) . If it looked frayed but not cracked I would coat with a bit of Moyen re-cone glue or silicone to prevent more fraying. If cracked all the way through I've patched up surrounds with good pieces of old surrounds laminated on top or below…This starts to get into hack speaker repair territory but they usually work fine and can last for many years, all depends on how and why the crack started, how big it is and if the condition that started it keeps occurring. A simple silicone repair on a crack that goes all the way through might not last… It's the kind of thing that will get you through the night or weekend if you take it easy but more often than not the crack keeps growing without a patch.

Tom Roche

• Behind the Zion Curtain
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2015, 03:36:10 PM »

It doesn't seem that difficult to me.  The area of concern is plainly visible (unless you have vision issues) and the OP said it's a "tad frayed."  That would indicate that it's not cardboard, wood or some other brown stuff, but rather the material on the innermost roll of the surround is roughed up/scraped. 

Hopefully this picture will help you see the area of concern.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2015, 03:36:10 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 23 queries.