ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: How do you know when it's time to "Retire"  (Read 13753 times)

Jonathan Goodall

• New Zealand
Re: How do you know when it's time to "Retire"
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2015, 03:12:42 AM »

Frankly, I was trying to improve the expectations of my current market. But, like you said, know one seemed to notice or care.  My plan now is to buy a digital board and sell of everything but one decent system for myself.

Agree with you there.
Had also been looking at going digital (SI Expression) but I'm just not sure if it's worth it any more.

Tucker Dragoo

« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2015, 05:38:29 PM »

If you are financially able to sell of what you can and keep a minimal "fun" PA and only take the gigs that you enjoy with people that understand your passion.

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2015, 04:09:46 AM »

Me, I'm retiring from sound in October 2016. 

Moving to the USA on that date. It took me 10 years to build my current business to the point where people book me a year out.  The thought of starting over again at 60, in the Houston area, with liability, insurance, and then maybe getting decent revenue going by the time I am 70 isn't very appealing. It's already getting old schlepping a truck full of gear.

I'm going to design and build A&C furniture instead.  Already started experiments on dye processes and UV exposure,... That's why I've been quiet here for the past few months, and probably won't be back posting very often. Learning a new trade that I can use into my 90s.
Mark McFarlane

Jonathan Goodall

• New Zealand
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2015, 07:28:09 AM »

Well, I've sat down, read everyone's thoughts and had a bit of a think.  In the end I have come to the conclusion that I just wouldn't be happy to give it all away just yet and maybe i'll just have to put up a fight, again.  As such I took delivery of an SI Expression just recently and have already done one National act with it (with more on the cards).  Some things may still be a bit of a struggle but we'll see how it goes.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2015, 08:32:57 AM »

Good on you Jonathan, and I'm sure you'll find that the Expression is a lot more board than many people think it is. Plenty of us use them, so your questions will be answered accurately and quickly. Be sure to upgrade to the latest firmware release as soon as you can. It's a simple process using a thumb drive.

For me, well I've been at this in one form or another for over 50 years now. I'm still in love with sound, and still have my musical chops, but it's almost time. I've read above where people expect to work into their 70's, but guess what, it's pretty rare. I'm 64 and wake up every day with pain I didn't know I could have. I work it out, get off to the day job and my usual 60-100 hour week (working all weekend this week), get home, work on sound, band, house, daughters, dog, sound, band practice, gigs, and try to sleep on Sunday. And, I didn't start to really feel the changes and pain until I was about 60, and all of a sudden it was there.

I hope to hear about many of the people here working until their 70, 80, or 100 if that floats the boat, and if you can manage to stay alive and behind the board it may work out, but I doubt it, because sound, bands and the work associated with this life is not always deadliest catch, but it's not always an easy gig by any stretch.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Jonathan Goodall

• New Zealand
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2015, 09:13:14 AM »

Thanks Bob :)
The others locally who have started "do'n sound" have gone down the Presonus road. I wanted something else (something better).
I would like to say that one of the things that helped influence me to look at and buy the SIE, was your purchase and comments about it.
I'm sure that I will have questions about it at some point but it's all good at the moment (just need to get the VISI control sorted)
Cheers.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 06:08:14 PM by Jonathan Goodall »

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2015, 10:29:19 AM »

Learn the board well before you start with the remote app.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2015, 01:50:07 PM »

Everyone I've ever talked to said it will be obvious when it becomes time for you to retire.  I worked at the day job a couple years past my retirement eligibility.   Wasn't even thinking about retirement, even when they offered an incentive to leave.  Then I was talking with someone who mentioned he was taking the out and the incentive.  Two days later, I was ready to go.  I realized I had enough of the this and that, and was ready to go, just that quick.   

For the couple years prior to my retirement, I found myself in the "sound business".  After years of listening to no live music, I discovered a thriving local music scene - and close to home.  Honestly, I got into the business as a self defense mechanism - great music was being composed and played, but being reproduced miserably.  Unknown and uninvited, I physically walked on stage during a performance and started adjusting the mixer.  I figured I'd either be thrown out, or make a new friend.   Friends it was, and it was straight downhill from there - GAS and now a garage full of stuff, and making a couple bucks here and there.

Like Bob, I'm starting to feel my age.  The foot I broke a couple years ago can easily get overworked, and I find myself quite lame for a day or two.  Heat and humidity beat me to death. So I'm beginning to think of briefcase jobs only, and selling off my gear.  But then I want to keep this, and then that, and I'm right back where I started.  Yes, sound is a blood disease without a cure.

For what I can provide, whether I'm good or bad, better or worse than the next guy, is up for debate - With far more successes than failures, I know I still have lots to learn.  I do have some very loyal customers, so I must be doing something close to right.

When I give up mixing, I'll probably have to give up listening to live music, as I listen critically (as one should in the business) but notice again there are lots of clueless sound people out there, and would be too tempted to start the cycle again.

But one truth: You will know when to hang up the headphones.  It will be as obvious as a full moon on a clear night. The straw that breaks the camel's back, so to speak.

frank

Mike Diack

• Auckland, New Zealand.
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2015, 05:50:37 PM »

If you are financially able to sell of what you can and keep a minimal "fun" PA and only take the gigs that you enjoy with people that understand your passion.
This is the route I've taken  ^.
When I started out there were maybe half a dozen places you could get a PA in Auckland, the returns were great but the cost of
equipment was horrendous (so mainly I built my own). It was a good living.
Step forward over 3 decades and there are hundreds of places you can find gear, it is as cheap as chips and the actual dollar return
not increased much but the dollars are not worth much any more, and humping a sub up the stairs is immeasurably more difficult.
Hence I returned to my previous occupation as an electronics tech to the sound industry. Still able to keep in touch with an industry
I love without the late nights and backache. Still keep an up to date van sized PA just for fun and never have to deal with rappers.
M
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 05:20:19 PM by Mike Diack »

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2015, 11:45:03 PM »

It’s time to retire when you wake up and read the paper and your name is in the obituaries. ;-)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2015, 11:45:03 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 25 queries.