ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Open enclosure  (Read 3051 times)

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
Open enclosure
« on: May 22, 2015, 09:58:53 PM »

While dropping off some postcards at the local Post Office this morning, my alert wife spotted an outside service panel with a missing cover. Looks live to me, and easily accessible to anyone walking through the open parking lot. Yikes!!! I placed a call to the local power authority and left a message detailing where this is located, but since it's a holiday weekend I'm not holding my breath that it will be fixed on Monday morning.

Stephen Swaffer

Re: Open enclosure
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 02:48:12 PM »

I'm pretty sure that is a meter socket for use with CTs-still could have energized wires to it.

About a year ago,I noticed an empty meter socket on a pole and called a local contact at the POCO.  Turns out the CATV provider was demoing some gear around town and the meter sockets had been disconnected.  Seems to me to be a bad idea to get in that habit-eventually people will see that as business as usual and assume it is safe.
Steve Swaffer

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 09:51:24 PM »

I'm pretty sure that is a meter socket for use with CTs-still could have energized wires to it.\

Yeah, there's wiring going into it directly from above on the pole, so there could indeed be energized conductors.  It does seem like a bad idea to have an open electrical box on Post Office properly energized or not. If they pulled the meter why didn't they just put a block plate in the hole?

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015, 02:29:56 PM »

On a CT metered service, pulling the meter alone does not disable service-they would actually have to disconnect power some other way.  I am guessing they figured it was de-energized so why bother?  Still wouldn't stick my bare hand in there without doing some testing myself, though.
Steve Swaffer

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 11:55:30 PM »

The post office is not the example of following good practice (or sometimes the rules).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 11:55:30 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 25 queries.