ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: OT: Dieting on the road, how do you do it?  (Read 7519 times)

Mike Sullivan

OT: Dieting on the road, how do you do it?
« on: May 21, 2015, 10:55:35 PM »

So I've been working on losing weight ever since a dehydration scare while working a commercial structure fire with my volunteer fire dept.  First they thought my blood pressure was high, but the medicine was making me feel terrible, and I ended up quit taking it because it was making me nauseous and weak, so much that I couldn't even do anything as far as picking up a 35lb monitor...luckily my blood pressure has stabilized, and while my weight is down from where I was at the initial scare (330lbs vs 297 in about 2 months, I didn't realize I put on that much weight!), I'm still having a little trouble cutting down my weight some.  My main problem is changing my eating habits.  I have eliminated food at night as much as I can, I've cut out soda and sugary drinks, ended up starting to drink unsweetened tea with a packet or two of Sweet-N-Low, but I'm thinking about dropping that too and only drinking water and Gatorade.  As far as foods, I'm not creative nor picky as far as what I eat, I just don't know how to eat healthier. 

I'm asking those that have tried different methods and found a working one.  Obviously one single method won't work for everyone, but as we all know, eating healthy while on the road is pretty tough, since you're lucky to maybe eat once a day if at all, and it's usually always fast food or greasy/junk food.  What have you all tried to help eat good and lose weight while on the road?  I'm open to all suggestions and advice.
When you're reading a topic, and the word "Danley" comes up...RUN!!!

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: OT: Dieting on the road, how do you do it?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 11:25:46 PM »

So I've been working on losing weight ever since a dehydration scare while working a commercial structure fire with my volunteer fire dept.  First they thought my blood pressure was high, but the medicine was making me feel terrible, and I ended up quit taking it because it was making me nauseous and weak, so much that I couldn't even do anything as far as picking up a 35lb monitor...luckily my blood pressure has stabilized, and while my weight is down from where I was at the initial scare (330lbs vs 297 in about 2 months, I didn't realize I put on that much weight!), I'm still having a little trouble cutting down my weight some.  My main problem is changing my eating habits.  I have eliminated food at night as much as I can, I've cut out soda and sugary drinks, ended up starting to drink unsweetened tea with a packet or two of Sweet-N-Low, but I'm thinking about dropping that too and only drinking water and Gatorade.  As far as foods, I'm not creative nor picky as far as what I eat, I just don't know how to eat healthier. 

I'm asking those that have tried different methods and found a working one.  Obviously one single method won't work for everyone, but as we all know, eating healthy while on the road is pretty tough, since you're lucky to maybe eat once a day if at all, and it's usually always fast food or greasy/junk food.  What have you all tried to help eat good and lose weight while on the road?  I'm open to all suggestions and advice.

If you heart is healthy and you don't have an addictive personality a 3 month coke binge should do the trick. 

You might find you get less sleep and more work done.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Jim Rutherford

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 12:27:56 AM »

Mike,
Look into the Dukan diet,  http://www.dukandiet.com/
It's basically based on lean high protein to begin, then gradually shifts to balanced diet.  Easy to follow and not be hungry.  On the road it's easier to follow.
Get the book to understand what affects different foods are having on your weight.
Good luck, a healthy eating.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 12:35:42 AM »

I also want to make it clear, for those without a twisted sense of humor, my first post to this thread was a joke.

I have nothing but empathy for anyone struggling with diet and health issues.  I have had trouble with weight since I turned 35.  Luckily I am 6'4 and can carry a bit more than the average person but it is still just as destructive.

I can binge weight off and get down to 230 or so but I always revert back to bad habits.  I am a stress eater and love sweets.

Personally I need to find a way to change my lifestyle.  Taking weight off is relatively easy.  Keeping it off has been elusive.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Nitin Sidhu

• New Delhi, India.
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 04:22:39 AM »

...my first post to this thread was a joke.

oh.. Damn!
My RTA is always flat.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 04:26:43 AM »

Gatorade is just as bad as soda.

Drink only water or unsweet tea, but tea is a diuretic so really only water while working.

If you can, eat an apple, banana, or something like that before eating a meal. It will help fill you up with decent stuff so you'll eat less of the greasy food.

If you can eat at a sit-down place, eat the salad. Add grilled meat (not fried or blackened) if you want. But basically you can't eat enough greens. Eat all you can. Drink lots of water. Eat fruit instead of sweets.

Thats the only real way to lose weight via diet.

If you start exercising seriously 5-6 days a week you can just about eat what you want. My daughter swims in the city league and she can eat anything. Because she swims about 3 miles a day, 5 days a week!
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 04:46:52 AM »

Drink only water or unsweet tea, but tea is a diuretic so really only water while working.
In England, no work starts until we have a tea break.  Then we need topping up with tea at regular intervals!

Eat only colourful things.  Nothing white, beige, brown or grey.  I have recently bought a NutrBullet smoothie maker.  it's an excellent way to increase your fruit and vegetable intake.

Steve.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 04:49:11 AM by Steve M Smith »

Jacob Shaw

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2015, 06:55:32 AM »

Eat often and simple.  Fruits and nuts ( and bugs) are the basis of the human diet.  Also whole grains have been a staple of the human diet since cultivation started about 10,000 years ago, so oatmeal is a good start to your day.  Get steel cut oats instead of instant oatmeal.  You can still cook them in a coffee cup with the hot water from a coffee machine.  Add local honey, cinnamon, and almonds for nutrition and raisins and cranberries for your enjoyment.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 07:00:01 AM »

Fruits and nuts ( and bugs) are the basis of the human diet

Yes.  It's amazing how many people think humans are natural meat eaters.  We are not.  To be a natural meat eater, it would need to be raw meat as there are no ovens in nature!

You can still cook them in a coffee cup with the hot water from a coffee machine.
I prefer oats uncooked. Wilst my wife likes to boil them with milk to make porridge, I prefer them cold in soya milk with fruit and nuts.

Steve.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 07:03:21 AM by Steve M Smith »

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2015, 07:40:17 AM »

Easiest weight loss I ever experienced was from chewing my food very slow and deliberately, putting my fork down between bites. Caused me to feel full much sooner. eat much less, and never feel like I was depriving myself of anything.  Did not change anything else and was losing about 3-5 lbs a week.

We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2015, 07:40:17 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 23 queries.