ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: M32 in Sunlight.  (Read 5515 times)

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
M32 in Sunlight.
« on: May 20, 2015, 11:06:22 PM »

M32 in sunlight.

I asked a question about seeing the screen and LEDs on the X32 and the M32 in sunlight a little while ago. Well I had a chance to test this myself this past week with an M32.

First we set it up about midday without a tent. The LEDs were the hardest (if not impossible) to read and the screen wasn’t easy to see clearly. 

Then we put it under a 10’x10’ popup tent with a white roof. The white roof acts as a light diffuser. But it helps to keep me from getting sunburned. It was better then outside the tent, but not great.

Then we took a 9.5’ x 7.5’ (cheap) blue tarp and put tie line thru the grommets tied it to the frame and used it as an inner ceiling.  Using the 9.5’ front to back. When tied up tightly it didn’t even droop in the middle. This method worked great, I could see all of the LEDs and could read the screen without any problems at all.

I then used it outside for a midday show like that and it worked out great. The next issue I am likely to encounter is at the series of outdoor shows we do in the summer where the sun is setting to my left and the sun shines into the tent rather intensely. We usually use a half sidewall that is white and I plan on using a short blue tarp to the inside of that. A darker roof surface should work well but the white roof seems to be the coolest. We have a few of these tents and the price for a replacement roof is over twice what we paid for each tent. I think the perfect roof would be one that is white on the outside and matte black on the inside. But for now this is a cheap and effective solution. 

John Rutirasiri

Re: M32 in Sunlight.
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 11:43:49 PM »

What about the mixer itself getting a sun tan?  is it pretty stable, or does it get flakey? 
Can't always position the console so the sun doesn't hit it, or at least parts of it at some point during the day.

John R.
ClearImpact Sound & Event Services, Inc.
Sound/Lighting/Corporate A/V

"If it ain't broke, make it better."

Kevin Maxwell

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 11:16:17 AM »

What about the mixer itself getting a sun tan?  is it pretty stable, or does it get flakey? 
Can't always position the console so the sun doesn't hit it, or at least parts of it at some point during the day.

John R.

I try to never leave any electronics out in direct sunlight long enough that it would get hot. And I don’t want to try it to see what happens with this one. That is just pushing your luck. I have found if there is no way to avoid it I might cover it with a white cloth to keep direct sunlight from melting things. And I don’t think you will find any digital mixer usable in direct sunlight because you won’t be able to read the indicators. And I have had the same problem of not being able to see the lit buttons with analog mixers on a sunny day. 

Direct sunlight is enough to really heat things up. Things will get HOT to the touch. That is why I will probably never buy another black car (have had 2) even though I really like the way a clean back car looks. 

Mike Karseboom

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 12:45:27 PM »

I use the second inner roof of darker nylon material inside the white pop-up canopy also and it works most of the time.

I do a few shows in the snow with blinding light and made this simple hood back when I had presonus boards.  My new and improved model has hinges so it can fold up for transport and fits my x32 compact.  It is important to have some loose material extending down the back as light will creep in from behind.  As a bonus the hoods works well at festivals to limit dust settling on the mixer and also prevents dew fall for the very late night sets.

--Mike
"If you're not confused, you don't know what is going on"

Live Sound for the Mt. Shasta area
http://www.shastalivesound.com

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 11:14:52 PM »

M32 in sunlight.

I asked a question about seeing the screen and LEDs on the X32 and the M32 in sunlight a little while ago. Well I had a chance to test this myself this past week with an M32.

First we set it up about midday without a tent. The LEDs were the hardest (if not impossible) to read and the screen wasn’t easy to see clearly. 

Then we put it under a 10’x10’ popup tent with a white roof. The white roof acts as a light diffuser. But it helps to keep me from getting sunburned. It was better then outside the tent, but not great.

Then we took a 9.5’ x 7.5’ (cheap) blue tarp and put tie line thru the grommets tied it to the frame and used it as an inner ceiling.  Using the 9.5’ front to back. When tied up tightly it didn’t even droop in the middle. This method worked great, I could see all of the LEDs and could read the screen without any problems at all.

I then used it outside for a midday show like that and it worked out great. The next issue I am likely to encounter is at the series of outdoor shows we do in the summer where the sun is setting to my left and the sun shines into the tent rather intensely. We usually use a half sidewall that is white and I plan on using a short blue tarp to the inside of that. A darker roof surface should work well but the white roof seems to be the coolest. We have a few of these tents and the price for a replacement roof is over twice what we paid for each tent. I think the perfect roof would be one that is white on the outside and matte black on the inside. But for now this is a cheap and effective solution.

Not related to the M32 specifically, but I solved this for myself by buying a blue top for my ezup and I put the white one back on over it for the events test "just have to have all white" pop ups.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Kevin Maxwell

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 12:12:03 AM »

Not related to the M32 specifically, but I solved this for myself by buying a blue top for my ezup and I put the white one back on over it for the events test "just have to have all white" pop ups.

Where did you get the blue top? Do you have a link? And how do you keep the white one on over the Blue one? That sounds like what I was planning on doing in the first place.

John Moore

• "learning the hard way sucks donkey kong"
    • Trinity Productions
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 10:15:30 PM »

We bought a gigantor pop up in black, believe it or not cooler than white we had, no light comes through at all... http://www.kingcanopy.com/content/goliath-instant.asp

We then had special made 75% shade screen section that attach around as needed to block sun, but let the breeze through. it also lets the sound out and not trap it in the tent and bounce around....we are happy with the results and the tent, though pricey has lasted years and spare parts are readily available.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 10:19:36 PM by John Moore »
http://www.trinityprosound.com 209-832-8023
DEALER:Dealer for Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, Danley Sound Labs, VTC, Allen & Heath, Ashly, Denon,  Audix, One Systems, Beyerdynamic, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate,  Trusst, Road Ready, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, dB Technologies, RCF, American Audio,  Rapco, CBI Cables, ADJ, Chauvet, Blizzard, Furman, Shure, Tascam, Elite Screens,  BenQ, Midas, Digico,  and many many more...

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2015, 04:16:40 PM »

Where did you get the blue top? Do you have a link? And how do you keep the white one on over the Blue one? That sounds like what I was planning on doing in the first place.

Ordered it from EZ-up. It is a listed spare/option. Nice people. You need your model so they supply the right one.

The white one fits pretty tight over the blue one. It hasn't been a problem.

rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2015, 03:56:19 AM »

My cheap and storage conscious solution for my GLD: I built a little LCD hood using an old album cover (pre-folded cardboard). Spray painted it black. Held in place using industrial velcro. Stores under the console.  Its essentially a piece of paper.

Works great until the sun is 'just over your shoulder, then its useless.
Mark McFarlane

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2015, 12:57:31 PM »

My cheap and storage conscious solution for my GLD: I built a little LCD hood using an old album cover (pre-folded cardboard). Spray painted it black. Held in place using industrial velcro. Stores under the console.  Its essentially a piece of paper.

Works great until the sun is 'just over your shoulder, then its useless.
That's when you take a page out of photographers' book - a dark cloth over your head. Not an elegant solution, but highly effective. It'll get you through those "just over the shoulder" times.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2015, 12:57:31 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 25 queries.