ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Allen Wrench? Key? Hex?  (Read 13665 times)

Jordan Wolf

Re: Allen Wrench? Key? Hex?
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2015, 11:48:30 AM »

I did too.  They are frequently used to lock crash bars on doors too
I have found that the two most-common sizes of crash bar locks are also the two most-common size of set screws for those chrome monitor stand bases/mounts.

I keep both types in my work pouch so I can try to keep attendees out of unfinished room setups.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2015, 12:02:01 AM »

I have found that the two most-common sizes of crash bar locks are also the two most-common size of set screws for those chrome monitor stand bases/mounts.

I keep both types in my work pouch so I can try to keep attendees out of unfinished room setups.

I was talking about this discussion with another engineer tonight.  He insisted the correct generic name is "socket head"

Indeed it seems this is the standard convention for the fasteners.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2015, 12:26:06 AM »

I was talking about this discussion with another engineer tonight.  He insisted the correct generic name is "socket head"

Indeed it seems this is the standard convention for the fasteners.

You are correct that "socket head cap screw" is the generic description of an "Allen bolt" fastener.  The shape of the internal socket varies, from hex ("Allen head"), star ("Torx" and improved Torx), splines (including double hex and triple square), and others.  The tool comes in L shapes, T shapes, screwdriver handles, insert bits, and square drive sockets that have protruding bits.  There are usually a security version (pin-in-hex, security Torx, and others).  Industrial suppliers (MSC and McMaster-Carr, to name two USA vendors) have pages and pages of variations available.  Hex come in metric and "standard" [inch] sizing; Torx sizes are not restricted to metric or standard threading.

Mark "what size do you need?" Cadwallader
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 01:00:57 AM by Mark Cadwallader »
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2015, 12:38:54 AM »

You are correct that "socket head cap screw" is the generic description of an "Allen bolt" fastener.  The shape of the internal socket varies, from hex ("Allen head"), star ("Torx" and improved Torx), splines (including double hex and triple square), and others.  The tool comes in L shapes, T shapes, screwdriver handles, insert bits, and square drive sockets that have protruding bits.  There are usually a security version (pin-in-hex, security Torx, and others).  Industrial suppliers (MSC and McMaster-Carr, to name to USA vendors) have pages and pages of variations available.  Hex come in metric and "standard" [inch] sizing; Torx sizes are not restricted to metric or standard threading.

Mark "what size do you need?" Cadwallader

Makes sense Mark.  The metric hex are damn close to the US.  I can tell you because every used QSC KW or HPR speaker I have bought had the heads dicked up because some fool used a US tool instead of metric to take the driver out.

On that note anytime I see someone using an electric drill to run rack screws in without the torque clutch set and the inevitable destruction of the fastener head.  If I have any seniority on the site I relieve the operator of the electric tool and inform him that monkey not ready for power tool yet.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

duane massey

« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2015, 12:47:37 AM »

My favorite rack screws were the #2 square/Robinson truss-head screws that we used to use. Had to custom order 10k to get them in black. That will never happen again, so I'm back to using normal Phillips again.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2015, 12:51:00 AM »

My favorite rack screws were the #2 square/Robinson truss-head screws that we used to use. Had to custom order 10k to get them in black. That will never happen again, so I'm back to using normal Phillips again.

I have a client in my other world (IT-Networking) that does Black Oxide coatings.  They will toss in small batch items for me such as speaker grills.  Auto/Motorcycle/Airplane parts etc.

If anyone has any 1 or 2 ft^3 volume coating needs send me a PM I am sure he will work out a deal with me. 

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2015, 05:05:46 PM »

Yep, the formal name is socket head.  Allen is a trademark.  The things holding drivers in many boxes are covered under Military Specification MS-16995, Socket Head Cap Screw.  It's been so many years, I don't know why some of these numbers are still stuck in my head.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2015, 06:09:09 PM »

If it's made by Allen it's an Allen wrench or Allen screw. If it's made by anyone else it's whatever they call it to keep from stepping on Allen's trade name. Socket head cap screw is correct according to GSA. And if your from England or live in England it's whatever stupid name that comes up, like bonnet or spanner.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2015, 09:16:07 PM »

Wrench comes from the old English word wrencan, meaning to twist (but not again like you did last summer).

Steve.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2015, 09:19:34 AM »

I always thought wrench came from the French La' wrench de la' nut. Like when you pick up a very heavy road case.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2015, 09:19:34 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 25 queries.