ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: LS9 Scene Changes  (Read 4664 times)

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
LS9 Scene Changes
« on: May 17, 2015, 09:10:09 PM »

So I've just discovered an annoying limitation of the LS9; I've got a bunch of scenes saved specifically for changing the EFX rack settings for different songs. Anyway I'm about to be adding a few new channels that I need stereo linked, but I noticed that every time I recalled a scene they would unlink. After some searching on Google I discovered there is no way to safe channel links; they are always tied to a given scene even if the scene is only recalling the EFX rack. What would be the best solution for fixing my scenes? Is there a tool that can change specific parameters for a bunch of scenes at once or am I going to have to recall each scene, change the channel linking, and resave it? I've only got 35ish scenes that need updating now, but I can see this may be a problem in the future when I have many more.

Thanks,
Tommy

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
Re: LS9 Scene Changes
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 09:40:23 PM »

I discovered the same problem some time ago, and haven't found an easy way around it.  It would have been nice if channel linking was a show parameter (like the auxes, which can be set to mono or stereo, fixed or variable) rather than a scene parameter, but I doubt Yamaha is likely to change it, this late in the product's life span.

You can do the required editing in Studio Manager, so you don't actually need the console there in front of you.

I also have some "stock" scenes for FX presets (but not 35 of them!) and just go through and pair the required channels.  I also use a Symetrix MIDI patch transmitter to access those scenes quickly.  As you've probably noticed, once you recall those "focused" scenes, the next time you save a scene, it will be focused only on the FX, so you have to go back and change the focus to ALL.

I've found it's also a good idea to erase any leftover scenes that I'm not planning to use, in case their channel pairing doesn't fit with the current show.

GTD

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 04:41:42 PM »

I discovered the same problem some time ago, and haven't found an easy way around it.  It would have been nice if channel linking was a show parameter (like the auxes, which can be set to mono or stereo, fixed or variable) rather than a scene parameter, but I doubt Yamaha is likely to change it, this late in the product's life span.

You can do the required editing in Studio Manager, so you don't actually need the console there in front of you.

I also have some "stock" scenes for FX presets (but not 35 of them!) and just go through and pair the required channels.  I also use a Symetrix MIDI patch transmitter to access those scenes quickly.  As you've probably noticed, once you recall those "focused" scenes, the next time you save a scene, it will be focused only on the FX, so you have to go back and change the focus to ALL.

I've found it's also a good idea to erase any leftover scenes that I'm not planning to use, in case their channel pairing doesn't fit with the current show.

GTD

Thanks for confirming that there isn't an easy solution. I've got a default EFX scene that I use as a base or when we do a song that I don't have a custom one for. This comes down to me being picky and tweaking(and saving) my EFX settings on a per song basis; most of the time they aren't changed much from the default but some are different types of reverb and such. Anyway I guess I'll figure out exactly what changes to my settings are needed and go through and change all the scenes. This is at a church so the scenes aren't going anywhere anytime soon. Again this is mostly me being picky; I could probably make a few different universal presets and it would be fine, but occasionally I need something 'special' for a given song.

I guess I'll need to get SM installed on my laptop again; I had it setup before but I've done a clean OS install since then(when Yosemite came out). I use my iPad for scene changes during the service as that's much easier than changing on the mixer. We're currently switching to Aviom's + IEMs from wedges so I'm adding some channels(drum OHs, ambient mics, etc..) and moving things around. Also we're adding another keyboard for the bass player to play some synth pads on hence the need for linking another pair of channels.

Tim Tyler

• Richmond, Va USA
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 05:51:29 PM »

Tommy -

I haven't owned an LS9 in a while, but any reason you can't use the FX library to make these changes?

-Tim T

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 12:03:10 PM »

As a long time LS9 user, before I spent money on an Aviom card and mixers, I think I'd sell the console and get an X32 with a bunch of P16s.  One can now buy an X32 (full size) for a pinch under $2000.

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 02:17:56 PM »

As a long time LS9 user, before I spent money on an Aviom card and mixers, I think I'd sell the console and get an X32 with a bunch of P16s.  One can now buy an X32 (full size) for a pinch under $2000.
The church already had the mixer and Aviom stuff, I definitely agree that going the x32 route would have been a better use of money if we'd needed to buy all of it. This setup is from the main worship space; we're now using it in the youth room. We've been using the LS9 since last fall, but we just recently got the IEMs to use with the Avioms.

Sent from my Moto X(XT1053) using Tapatalk

Philip Roberts

• Church and H.O.W. Forums
  • South West MI
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 02:35:04 PM »

Does the LS9 have a global paste like the M7CL and CL series? This might help you out.

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 09:45:13 PM »

It would have been nice if channel linking was a show parameter (like the auxes, which can be set to mono or stereo, fixed or variable) rather than a scene parameter, ...

I could have sworn the above was true, but after doing some prep work for a job next month, I discovered that the mix bus setup does change with scene changes.  I'm not sure why it has taken me so long to discover this.  Maybe I always use the same aux bus structure for monitors.  For this job I'm doing a radio show, and want to make use of the mix buses as groups, and for a change I don't need to worry about stage monitors.

GTD

Sean Stephens

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2015, 12:37:01 AM »

So I've just discovered an annoying limitation of the LS9; I've got a bunch of scenes saved specifically for changing the EFX rack settings for different songs. Anyway I'm about to be adding a few new channels that I need stereo linked, but I noticed that every time I recalled a scene they would unlink. After some searching on Google I discovered there is no way to safe channel links; they are always tied to a given scene even if the scene is only recalling the EFX rack. What would be the best solution for fixing my scenes? Is there a tool that can change specific parameters for a bunch of scenes at once or am I going to have to recall each scene, change the channel linking, and resave it? I've only got 35ish scenes that need updating now, but I can see this may be a problem in the future when I have many more.

Thanks,
Tommy

You may be missing something, as I remember on the LS9 we didn't have to relink channels for every scene, our board was set up so that the channel links stayed consistent, almost as if it was a global setting, as for after the fact editing as stated the yamaha computer software is the fastest and easiest way to make adjustments, recall and store cues IMO.  Honestly whenever i mixed on the board I used the software more then the board itself with a wireless router when creating cues, and directly plugged in when live, it gave us much more flexibility.  Its an entirely new and faster way of navigating the interfaces.

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2015, 01:35:26 PM »

You may be missing something, as I remember on the LS9 we didn't have to relink channels for every scene, our board was set up so that the channel links stayed consistent, almost as if it was a global setting,

If you're taking an existing scene, modifying it, and then saving in a new location, it's not a problem.  The pairing stays the way it was on any subsequent scenes.

It becomes a problem if you have some scenes in a template that have one set of pairings (like Tommy and I do for FX focussed scenes) and then add some more scenes with different pairings.  It's convenient to not have to re-enter FX settings, and in my case I have some MIDI program change information attached to the scenes as well.  The MIDI cannot be set up in Studio Manager.  You have to have the console in front of you, which is often not very convenient.

GTD

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2015, 01:35:26 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.