ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: check out my Danley SM80 + TH118 set up  (Read 25971 times)

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
Re: check out my Danley SM80 + TH118 set up
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2015, 03:41:34 PM »

Careful there, just a few years ago I said I'd never have a digital mixer or powered speakers either. Surely, something newer and even better will come along but until then...

Yes: Powered SM80's. (or some equivalent) ;)

Kidding aside, I am interested to see what's next from Danley.  As an owner of a SM80/TH118 rig I wouldn't mind leaving the amp rack in storage.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2015, 03:51:58 PM »

Yes: Powered SM80's. (or some equivalent) ;)

Kidding aside, I am interested to see what's next from Danley.  As an owner of a SM80/TH118 rig I wouldn't mind leaving the amp rack in storage.
Don't worry-that is "on the list" and it will also go lower in freq.

However there is a price to be paid-and that is the size and weight will go up.

And there are lots of other things "on the list" as well-but nothing that would replace the SM80.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Spenser Hamilton

« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2015, 04:54:21 PM »

Don't worry-that is "on the list" and it will also go lower in freq.

However there is a price to be paid-and that is the size and weight will go up.

And there are lots of other things "on the list" as well-but nothing that would replace the SM80.

If you could find a way to make some powered SM80s to go with powered TH118s, my entire current rig would be put up for sale immediately.

Regardless of that fact, I'm hoping to connect with Mr. Broughton in Milton next month to get some info on the -  currently unpowered - SM80s that everyone seems to be raving about.
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2015, 06:07:58 PM »

I'm hoping to connect with Mr. Broughton in Milton next month to get some info on the -  currently unpowered - SM80s that everyone seems to be raving about.
Be happy to chat :)
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2015, 06:34:29 PM »

If you could find a way to make some powered SM80s to go with powered TH118s, my entire current rig would be put up for sale immediately.

The TH118 is like most Danley products.  You can relatively easily "retrofit" a passive version to an active one and vice versa on all but a couple of products (all in which there is simply no room for an amp).

That is the reason the NL4 panel is the size that it is.  It is the same cutout for the powered version.

So no reason to sell your Th118s-just get the amp for them and DIY.

The SM80 cannot be made active.  There is simply no room for an amp.

Part of the design was to have a very small back volume-to get the most out of the horn loading and the sealed alignment allows for easier integration with subs.

And the angled sides allow it to be used as a monitor and to array if desired.

That does not leave much room at all for an amp-sorry.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2015, 06:39:40 PM »

The TH118 is like most Danley products.  You can relatively easily "retrofit" a passive version to an active one and vice versa on all but a couple of products (all in which there is simply no room for an amp).

That is the reason the NL4 panel is the size that it is.  It is the same cutout for the powered version.

Part of the design was to have a very small back volume-to get the most out of the horn loading and the sealed alignment allows for easier integration with subs.

What about a 2 channel amp in the TH118's with processing (and maybe an Ethernet management connector for the processor and environmental data) Sell it as a system, the 80's connect to the 118's. 

You could also utilize the Ethernet in novel ways, with the operators permission allow the system to phone home to a database to collect operation data.  How hard people are running them etc. 

I would also pay $200 more for a locator beacon if they got stolen.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Spenser Hamilton

« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2015, 06:56:43 PM »

No worries Ivan, an iTech 4000 in a 3 space rack is easy enough to cart around as it is.

I wonder if the new Crown Empower or the Powersoft D-Cell modules might fit.
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2015, 07:02:34 PM »

What about a 2 channel amp in the TH118's with processing (and maybe an Ethernet management connector for the processor and environmental data) Sell it as a system, the 80's connect to the 118's. 

You could also utilize the Ethernet in novel ways, with the operators permission allow the system to phone home to a database to collect operation data.  How hard people are running them etc. 

I would also pay $200 more for a locator beacon if they got stolen.
Danley is a loudspeaker company-not an electronics manufacturer.  We simply OEM amps and DSPs.  We don't build them-but some have some custom aspects for us.  That is a different aspect of manufacturing.

Let's just say a couple of things are being looked into.

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2015, 07:06:51 PM »

Danley is a loudspeaker company-not an electronics manufacturer.  We simply OEM amps and DSPs.  We don't build them-but some have some custom aspects for us.  That is a different aspect of manufacturing.

Let's just say a couple of things are being looked into.

Ivan, you don't have to be.  With 7 years at Motorola in product engineering we outsourced many things we did not have skill sets for.  All you have to do is write the specs and assign an SE and a PM to the vendor you choose.  In fact I would not be surprised if your existing vendor could not fulfill the requirements.

I don't work for you, but if I did I would push hard for this product.  I think it would do very well.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2015, 12:27:19 AM »

Scott that's a great idea. It would be awesome if it fit into the existing TH118 cutout, but it wouldn't be the end of the world if it required modification. A 2-ch amp with presets for different configurations. It could run a SM80 and a TH118, or it could run two TH118's. Or even two of each if it was stable to 2 ohms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2015, 12:27:19 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 25 queries.