ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Trying to figure out what to get for our sancturary...  (Read 7360 times)

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
Re: Trying to figure out what to get for our sancturary...
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2015, 01:25:38 PM »

Question about the P16 personal mixers, it was said we would need to 'bus'(which I guess means combine two or more channels into a single -sub-channel and then put it into a single input on the personal mixer?) But with 16 different channels on the mixer...Why would I need ot bus? I don't understand that part...

This is more than 16 channels:
Mic'd Drums
at least 6 praise singers
Keyboard and Mic
Aux Keyboard and Potential Mic
Podium Mic
Speaking Handsfree Mic of some type.
Guitars(Electric and acoustic)
Bass

Edit to further clarify:

You'll need a console with more than 16 channels.  Of those channels, you'll either need to leave a few off of the P16 system or create a few submixes that combine some channels (inside the console) to send to the P16.  A submix is the same thing as what you would do for each monitor mix if you weren't using a personal monitor system.  The output of that submix will just go into a channel on the personal monitor system instead of going directly to a monitor.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 01:31:03 PM by Corey Scogin »

TylerCWells

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2015, 01:30:08 PM »

AH Okay...I guess I wasn't thinking about it in those terms..

We'd probably end up doing 2 alto's, 2 soprano's and 2 tenors and combine those into 3 channels instead of six.. is that kind of what you mean?

Okay...I think I understand.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 01:37:00 PM by TylerCWells »

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2015, 01:38:30 PM »

AH Okay...I guess I wasn't thinking about it in those terms..

We'd probably end up doing 2 alto's, 2 soprano's and 2 tenors and combine those into 3 channels instead of six.. is that kind of what you mean?

I posted an edit to my previous post after you posted this.  Let me explain further.

For your example, each vocalist's microphone will feed into its own channel on the console.  Then, in the same way that you create a mix for the main speakers, you will create a mix for the P16 system but only send it the channels you want to group together.  Here, Mix 1 would be altos, Mix 2 sopranos, etc.  The output of each of these mixes gets routed to a specific channel on the P16 system. 

There are a million possibilities on how to set this up.  You could actually have the sound person create mixes for every type of instrument like 1. drums, 2. guitars and keys, 3 vocals.  Then only 3 channels of the personal monitoring system would be used.  That defeats much the purpose of using the personal monitoring system but it illustrates the flexibility available.

Gordon Waugh

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2015, 03:17:50 PM »

7 or 8 singers is a lot. What style of music is played? Are you doing four-part harmony?

My personal preference, for contemporary music, is to have only one singer per harmony part. If there is no harmony, it is still nice to have a mix of male and female voices because they are in different octaves. Of course, this all depends upon the skill of the singers. Some singers' voices blend very well with others, others do not blend and sound like a mish-mash when singing in unison with another singer.

In other words, do you really need that many singers?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Gordon Waugh

TylerCWells

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2015, 04:03:42 PM »

Thank you Corey Scogin!

Gordon, on a typical service we have the Keyboardist leading worship, then we have 3-4 singers(usually 2 alto, 1 soprano, 1 tenor) That can vary though.

Our Music minister has expressed desire to have two of each every service.

We sing a mix of worship, not one particular style. From Hillsong to Kurt Carr to The Crabb Family. Which might sound odd, but our worship team does an amazing job blending it.

Tom Roche

• Behind the Zion Curtain
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2015, 03:18:18 PM »

I can understand a mic or two for the drums if everyone will be using in-ear monitors (IEM); otherwise, micing drums for a 38' x 40' space seems WAY overkill (unless the drummer plays abnormally quiet).  That might free up some channels.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2015, 05:53:40 PM »

Is there a good video or post in this forum that can help sound noobies on terms and ideas on what to do and how to mix and get the best sound out of what you have?

Please check out the resources listed in this thread:
http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,145172.0.html
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2015, 05:53:40 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 24 queries.