ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: planar drivers (MAD Technologies)  (Read 3255 times)

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
planar drivers (MAD Technologies)
« on: May 02, 2015, 06:31:21 AM »

I was at a demo yesterday for the planar array systems from MAD (Magnetic Audio Devices) and while not a new principal, was deployed as a large array. Interesting results.
Here is a link to their white paper.  I would be interested in opinions from other members.
If these are so good, why have they not been more prominent in the music industry?
http://www.getmad.com/clientimages/48555/spec_sheets/newdatasheets_121410/hpv_planar%20array%20principles_32211.pdf
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: planar drivers (MAD Technologies)
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 08:33:16 AM »

I was at a demo yesterday for the planar array systems from MAD (Magnetic Audio Devices) and while not a new principal, was deployed as a large array. Interesting results.
Here is a link to their white paper.  I would be interested in opinions from other members.
If these are so good, why have they not been more prominent in the music industry?
http://www.getmad.com/clientimages/48555/spec_sheets/newdatasheets_121410/hpv_planar%20array%20principles_32211.pdf
So what was your "take" on what you heard?

A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 09:41:20 AM »

So what was your "take" on what you heard?

It has been a long time since I heard that array, but it has some interesting characteristics. One of them is not sounding great. Maybe with a different setup it could have sounded better, but I was not in love with it as I heard it. It was amazing however that as you walked closer to the array it didn't get much louder. Up close you were only hearing a few drivers, and as you walked away you heard more and more drivers. As a technical demo it was pretty cool, as a large scale PA not so much.

Mac

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 05:08:34 PM »

It has been a long time since I heard that array, but it has some interesting characteristics. One of them is not sounding great. Maybe with a different setup it could have sounded better, but I was not in love with it as I heard it. It was amazing however that as you walked closer to the array it didn't get much louder. Up close you were only hearing a few drivers, and as you walked away you heard more and more drivers. As a technical demo it was pretty cool, as a large scale PA not so much.

Mac
That's, more or less, what I thought. Really great for voice I think, but not so much for music.
Very interesting effect in the "near" vs "far" field.
They did have a small unit with 2 MAD drivers on either side (splayed slightly) with a 6" ribbin driver between.
Now they sounded quite nice.
I didn't know a planar driver existed that went down to 150.
Ivan, I will have to admit that this array didn't seem to have the same kind of "cohesive" sound as some of the --no name mentioned-- horn loaded full range speakers I have heard...down south  ;)

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 02:09:01 AM »

I didn't know a planar driver existed that went down to 150.

Souped up version of these with magnetic structures on both sides.  Smaller diaphragms coupled together to probably avoid stepping on the Maggie patent, (which has to have expired by now)

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2015, 07:36:05 AM »

Souped up version of these with magnetic structures on both sides.  Smaller diaphragms coupled together to probably avoid stepping on the Maggie patent, (which has to have expired by now)

Come to remember, I did see Dayton Wright elecrostatic panels years ago. I think they are `planar`devices but a different drive mechanism.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2015, 07:36:05 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 25 queries.