ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Down

Author Topic: New Soundcraft Console - Si Impact  (Read 49480 times)

Mike Santarelli

Re: New Soundcraft Console - Si Impact
« Reply #90 on: July 29, 2015, 08:37:37 AM »

Thanks Rob.  Great info. 

Are there issues with output running a mono wedge on stereo mix outs?  I usually run 5 monitor mixes and sometimes 6.  I wasn't sure if there would be summing issues or if 5-6, 7-8, 9-10 can be set to mono.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #91 on: July 29, 2015, 05:19:48 PM »

Rob, what about the ergonomics drew you to the A&H?  I've been leaning towards the Soundcraft as the surface seems to make more sense to me.  And easier to explain to others without the multiple hold this and push both of those buttons bit that I see in the Qu manual.

I do like the expandable stage box bit.  Having multiple smaller boxes on stage makes a lot of sense.  And allows you to go digital stage box incrementally.  I can buy a 16 channel and couple with my analog snake when I need more channels and get another 8 or 16 channel later.  Where with the SC, its 16 or 32, and no expandability unless you go for the really expensive stage boxes.  Although with a smaller surface, you can utilize the entire 32 channel stage box.  Which you can't do on the A&H.

Rob Bernstein

« Reply #92 on: July 29, 2015, 08:53:21 PM »

Rob, what about the ergonomics drew you to the A&H?  I've been leaning towards the Soundcraft as the surface seems to make more sense to me.  And easier to explain to others without the multiple hold this and push both of those buttons bit that I see in the Qu manual.

Not sure I could put my finger on what it is about the A&H ergonomics that fits me better.
The touchscreen control makes more sense to me, and now I can zip around pretty quickly. On the Expression, I would use the dedicated knobs more often, but I guess that is different on the Impact.
On the Qu, there aren't that many times you need to push more than one button. For the customer layer, yes. But I find that once I've set up the customer layer, I don't have to leave it unless I need to get to one of the FX returns that won't fit on the customer layer. Not an issue on my Qu-32, plenty of real estate there.

I do like the expandable stage box bit.  Having multiple smaller boxes on stage makes a lot of sense.  And allows you to go digital stage box incrementally.  I can buy a 16 channel and couple with my analog snake when I need more channels and get another 8 or 16 channel later.  Where with the SC, its 16 or 32, and no expandability unless you go for the really expensive stage boxes.  Although with a smaller surface, you can utilize the entire 32 channel stage box.  Which you can't do on the A&H.
That is true, but for the shows I do, the Qu-16 is usually all I need. I have the Qu-32 for more inputs if I need them.
But even when I had my Expression 2 and the stage box, I rarely went beyond 20 inputs.
One thing I have been using almost every gig is the ST3 input on the top of the console to feed my iPod music to FOH. Super convenient.
And the patching of inputs is more intuitive (to me) on the Qu boards. You can get a better overview without having to scroll through multiple screens like on the Expression. Maybe they changed that on the Impact.
I really think it comes down what makes more sense to your brain. They are both great consoles for the money and will get the job done.

Scott Slater

« Reply #93 on: July 29, 2015, 09:15:36 PM »

While I can't speak for the Impact specifically, I had an Si Expression 2 for 2-years, which I sold in favor of a Qu-16 and a Qu-32.

I just purchased a Qu-16 as a smaller sized companion to my GLD80.  They can share the same digital snake boxes (I have an AR2412, and an AB168), and I like this as it makes a good backup board to carry along on bigger gigs, and works great as a stand alone or with an AB168 for smaller shows.

Have you tried recording with either of your Qu mixers yet?  I tried importing tracks to a passport HD, but the Qu didn't like them, and they skipped a lot on playback.  They were standard 24/48 WAV files, but not recorded on the Qu.  I want to test the Qu-16's recording capability soon, and hopefully it works well.  I replaced a Presonus 16.4.2AI with the Qu-16 and so far I love it.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #94 on: July 29, 2015, 09:32:08 PM »

I just purchased a Qu-16 as a smaller sized companion to my GLD80.  They can share the same digital snake boxes (I have an AR2412, and an AB168), and I like this as it makes a good backup board to carry along on bigger gigs, and works great as a stand alone or with an AB168 for smaller shows.

Have you tried recording with either of your Qu mixers yet?  I tried importing tracks to a passport HD, but the Qu didn't like them, and they skipped a lot on playback.  They were standard 24/48 WAV files, but not recorded on the Qu.  I want to test the Qu-16's recording capability soon, and hopefully it works well.  I replaced a Presonus 16.4.2AI with the Qu-16 and so far I love it.

I've used my Qu-16 with both a Seagate 500 gig 7200rpm  drive and the Sandisk Extreme USB sticks.  Both have worked flawlessly, but I adhere strictly to the factory recommendations on formatting and recording operation.

I also use the USB B output into a Macbook running Nicecast for live streaming for remote broadcast.

So far, so good.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber