ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A well received compliment...passed on to you guys  (Read 2668 times)

Jerome Casinger

• Castle Rock DJ and Sound
A well received compliment...passed on to you guys
« on: April 26, 2015, 10:59:12 PM »

Last night was one of those moments for me Ive heard mentioned here.  My little boy was in the chair next to me like I was with my dad, set up was easy, the sound was really coming together,  things were good.  I got hired for the first time in a well established venue in our city.  The show was packed with an up and coming band, had a lot of hype/publicity behind it with some local "celebs" coming out in the music industry. 

There was one guy who is a nationally known concert photographer (Kiss, Buckcherry, Styx, Cheap Trick and TONS more over decades).  It was published locally how he was going to be at this show.  I did my thing, and everyone else did theirs.  I saw him all over the place taking pics like a mad man throughout the night, the dude worked like crazy, I mentioned to my wife how his work ethic "reminded me of me", she agreed with a chuckle (You want a fast load in or out...I am your guy). 

He stopped by the sound booth in the middle of the show, and said how he wanted to take a minute and let me know that this is by far the best he has ever heard this place sound from wall to wall (this is one of the oldest concert halls in our city).  I have got this compliment before, but I could tell he made it a point to find me and give his sincere opinion, we shook hands, chatted for a few and both got back to work.  I later caught him talking to the band that they had a "hell of a sound guy" and thanks for inviting him to take pictures etc etc.  The band gave a shout out today to us to all their fans/bands that we were the best they have experienced yet.  No I am not saying how awesome I am or trying to toot my own horn..there is a point...stick with me.

I still remember my first post on the old forums, I came on there with this awesome PA I was buying for 5 grand or something.  Like most that post something like this, I learned quickly you have to have thick skin to survive here.  But with tons of time I upgraded that system and build this "side business" for something I love.  I now have learned exponentially through the years and have enough business to no longer do gigs with bands I have zero interest in to pay the bills, and own my equipment outright finally this year (that feels good even though its just a small rig in most of your eyes).  The repeat business has taken off and left little room for new shows/bands and I have received emails from people asking if they could be an apprentice (right word?) as they have caught wind of us through bands or people going to our shows etc and want to learn why our shows sound like they do.

I am by far not even close to the level most of you guys are at.  I have yet to run many digital consoles ( only 4 or so under my belt, nothing in the "high end" yet, just no opportunities) but I am far exceeding what some of these other "providers" are providing as a service in our area.

I appreciate the years I have been on this forum, the dumb and not so dumb questions you guys answer daily (even mine).  I am the type of person that I read and study something I love and when a recommendation was for me to train on Feedback Freq's I did it.....and many others, sub placement, patterns, etc, things like that have set us apart I truly believe.  I am not sure without these forums where I would have ever even got that knowledge to start down this path and do it correctly.

So this may be a ramble...but a sincere thank you to you guys and remembering us that started with a few thousand bucks and a whole lot of fire but not much direction, and giving the direction.  Last night was a highlight of my career thus far, even though it wasn't my largest gig.  With my son on my lap, he asked me his first sound related question, and I remember my first question to my dad when he ran sound a time or to at the same age.  The amount of tricks, tips and learned practices I use nightly that came from this forum has me grateful that I can properly represent a band to their audience while hiding in the darkness to get a sincere thanks from someone who goes to thousands of shows much larger than mine. 

Long weekend time for bed...BTW I need a kick mic recommendation....  ;D

Lyle Williams

Re: A well received compliment...passed on to you guys
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 11:54:36 PM »

Great photo.  :-)

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 07:29:09 AM »

Jerome,

I feel the same way about these guys as you. My business is still really small but it's taking off due to everything these guys have taught me as well. If I didn't come here I'm not sure I would have survived the first year. Having my ass handed to me by the best on a regular basis has been very edifying.
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Mike Smith

• Event Technical Systems
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 11:54:53 AM »

Congratulations on your successful event, and for having a fine young son.

The venue looks like Gilly's. Nice high ceiling, good room in which to mix.

Decades ago, when the Greyhound station was still next door, I spent time trying to cut randomly-recurring 40 Hz tones out of the PA. All through the night. Turns out it was buses idling on the other side of the wall that backed the stage.
Mike Smith

Event Technical Systems

http://www.eventtechnicalsystems.com/

Jerome Casinger

• Castle Rock DJ and Sound
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 08:59:18 PM »

Gilly's it was.  Its weird how dead the area is now when you can tell it used to be a really great place/area of the city.  Sounds like the owner is about done with the place after talking to him (hes mid 70's now).  I can only imagine how the place used to be.  Not that its bad or anything now, but a few bucks could go a really long way.  The bands manager did a great job of getting food trucks etc out front and made it a real "event" and everyone stayed the entire night it seemed.  I will shoot you a PM, nice to see a fellow member on the forums from the area.

Congratulations on your successful event, and for having a fine young son.

The venue looks like Gilly's. Nice high ceiling, good room in which to mix.

Decades ago, when the Greyhound station was still next door, I spent time trying to cut randomly-recurring 40 Hz tones out of the PA. All through the night. Turns out it was buses idling on the other side of the wall that backed the stage.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 08:59:18 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 23 queries.