ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Question with nothing to do about sound  (Read 7721 times)

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
Question with nothing to do about sound
« on: April 26, 2015, 09:27:16 AM »

Hey all,

Sorry for posting this kind of question, but I'm hoping the "basement" is the best place for this... and this has really nothing to do with sound!

Do any of you use (or know of) commercial refrigerator/freezer units for home use?  My 35 year old Kenmore fridge/freezer is approaching EOL.  I'm looking for something that is on the commercial side in hopes to have longevity and durability (just like pro amplifiers!)

I'm now needing a "pro-level" kitchen appliance that would work well in the home.  The "usual suspects" at the big box stores look good, but their reviews (and my friends own assessments) of the products don't yield a positive image.

I searched and searched (etc...) on the internet and kept coming up with the same "over the counter" products.  I'm thinking the choices are limited.

Thoughts?

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
Re: Question with nothing to do about sound
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 10:33:03 AM »

Hey all,

Sorry for posting this kind of question, but I'm hoping the "basement" is the best place for this... and this has really nothing to do with sound!

Do any of you use (or know of) commercial refrigerator/freezer units for home use?  My 35 year old Kenmore fridge/freezer is approaching EOL.  I'm looking for something that is on the commercial side in hopes to have longevity and durability (just like pro amplifiers!)

I'm now needing a "pro-level" kitchen appliance that would work well in the home.  The "usual suspects" at the big box stores look good, but their reviews (and my friends own assessments) of the products don't yield a positive image.

I searched and searched (etc...) on the internet and kept coming up with the same "over the counter" products.  I'm thinking the choices are limited.

Thoughts?
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=commercial%20grade%20refrigerators%20for%20home%20use

Richard Turner

Looking at retiring. Local PA market has shrank to 2 guys with guitars and bose l1 compacts or expecting full line array and 16 movers on stage for $300... no middle left going back to event DJ stuff, half the work for twice the pay.

Charlie Zureki

• South Eastern Michigan (near Windsor)
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 10:51:08 AM »

Hey all,

Thoughts?

Hello,

My thoughts, stick to residential type refrigerators for home use.  There's a lot of brands of residential type refrigerators that have the "commercial look" and, many of these (usually the higher end fridges) have beef-ed up compressors and cooling coils, heavier-duty doors and hinges, and better insulation.

The issue with going commercial (at least in the past) for home use is that while they were heavier-duty and built for constant use, they cost a LOT of money and USE a lot of electricity.  Multiples on cost and electricity. Also, a factor for most people using a full commercial refrigerator in their home is that they're generally deeper and higher in measurements.  If you have a standard,  American, cookie-cutter home, you generally can't just push it into the kitchen cubby for the fridge.  Some modifications may include cabinet and/or ceiling "adjustments".   

I have used commercial beverage refrigerators for the rec room and garage in the past, but, they tend to cycle frequently and are very noisey.  They seemed to be constantly in the cooling mode.

Good luck, make measurements and compare specs. 

Hammer

Do it the right way....don't be a Dino!

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 11:25:16 AM »

I live in an area where lots of folks want to have a commercial style kitchen. The go to manufacturer around here is SubZero-Wolf. I wish I could afford a big enough house to put it in.

Mac

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 11:39:22 AM »

I live in an area where lots of folks want to have a commercial style kitchen for their personal chefs. The go to manufacturer around here is SubZero-Wolf. I wish I could afford a big enough house to put it in.

Fixed that for ya  ;D
Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

John Fruits

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 01:28:32 PM »

Are you wanting a single unit that is both refrigerator and freezer.  They do make them but rather pricey.  There are lots of online restaurant supply houses, I have bought a lot of stuff from Webstaurantstore.com and their service is ok.  Here is their list of combo units:
http://www.webstaurantstore.com/13447/commercial-combination-refrigerators-freezers.html
There are two types of commercial units, the ones with the compressor on top and the ones with the bottom mount units.  I prefer the bottom mount, that way the bottom shelf is more easily reachable.  Commercial kitchens are hot so the bottom mount is more effective since it is in the cooler part of the kitchen. 
+1 on the Subzero, I lust in my heart (maybe tummy is better) for the Pro48, with class door of course. 
http://www.subzero-wolf.com/sub-zero/full-size-refrigeration/refrigeration
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 03:02:45 PM »

I would vote for going commercial if longevity is what you want-in the hopes they would deliver.  We replaced all of our appliances in late 2007 due to a house fire.  Bought name brand (famous for lonely repairman) from a local dealer no big box.  Only one of them is still in service-and it has one feature that does ot work right.  The fridge was repaired by an excellent HVAC mechanic 2 or 3 times due to an obvious manufacturing defect-one line kept splitting farther and farther back. 

I was told that all consumer appliance warranties went to one year a few years before that so that they could sell extended warranties.  Even though I had 3 defective appliances within 4 years, the manufacturer "declined" to even supply repair parts.  I guess that is in line with their warranty-but far below my expectations on an investment like that.  I still wish I had kept my 15 year old appliances!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 03:09:01 PM by Stephen Swaffer »
Steve Swaffer

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2015, 03:40:32 PM »

My take is that commercial or Sub Zero are not more reliable. They are built with service from the front in mind so they don't have to be pulled out.

Folks that I know have Sub Zero and while they may last a long time, they do that with frequent repairs.

Cars last a long time too if you spend money at shop for them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2015, 04:40:42 PM »

Hey all -- Many thanks for the replies and suggestions!!  Well, after reading every one's responses, looks like I'm searching for a unicorn (reliability of appliances from 30 years ago, combined with technology of today).  A couple of brands mentioned in the replies may be a solution.

Many thanks!
Bob

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2015, 04:40:42 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 25 queries.