ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: compression driver diaphragms  (Read 5276 times)

Dennis OShea

compression driver diaphragms
« on: April 25, 2015, 07:01:45 PM »

Hi all
It's time to either replace my JBL 2226's with the B&C DE250TN driver or replace the JBL diaphragms with the Radian 1225.  Has anyone had the occasion to compare these two options.  They are going on PAS 1280C coax wedges.
Thanks
Dennis

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: compression driver diaphragms
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 08:09:59 PM »

Hi all
It's time to either replace my JBL 2226's with the B&C DE250TN driver or replace the JBL diaphragms with the Radian 1225.  Has anyone had the occasion to compare these two options.  They are going on PAS 1280C coax wedges.
Thanks
Dennis
Replacing the JBL 2226 with ANY HF driver is a BIG mistake.

The 2226 is a woofer.

Maybe you meant a different model number.

The problem with "just swapping HF drivers" means that the parameters could change-due to different freq responses and different impedances..

Just because a different driver may be "better", does not automatically mean that simply swapping them will have an improvement on the sound quality.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Charlie Zureki

• South Eastern Michigan (near Windsor)
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 10:15:44 PM »

The 2226 is a woofer.

The problem with "just swapping HF drivers" means that the parameters could change-due to different freq responses and different impedances..

Just because a different driver may be "better", does not automatically mean that simply swapping them will have an improvement on the sound quality.

+1     Stick to the original manufacturer's replacement parts or, purchase a new driver... but, as Ivan wrote, it may or may not have an any improvement on the quality of the component's or system's response.

Hammer
Do it the right way....don't be a Dino!

Mark Oakley

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 10:54:48 PM »

On the other hand, why not buy one DE-250 and try it out?

Last winter I built 8 new monitors and originally  was going to use the Eminence PSD-2002 for hi's. I did some searching on the net, and found nothing but glowing reports on the B&C DE-250 (mylar). I then ordered one from Parts Express and compared it along side the PSD-2002. Much nicer sound, extended (and flat) response to 18k, and generally a much more listen-able driver. I've installed a total of 12 of them in my home-brew boxes, and couldn't be happier.

Parts Express also has a pretty easy return policy if you decide not to keep it.   http://www.parts-express.com/bc-de250-8-1-polyimide-horn-driver-8-ohm-2-3-bolt--294-605

-Mark
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 11:14:21 PM by Mark Oakley »
Oakley Audio

Dennis OShea

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 11:20:10 PM »

The 2226 is a woofer.

Agreed.  Talking about the 2426 1" driver.   This is strictly an option issue and whether I would get a better result spending $75 for a new diaphragm or 100 for a new driver.  As far as converging the the compression driver and woofer I'll leave that to  TEF. 

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 01:34:21 PM »

Agreed.  Talking about the 2426 1" driver.   This is strictly an option issue and whether I would get a better result spending $75 for a new diaphragm or 100 for a new driver.  As far as converging the the compression driver and woofer I'll leave that to  TEF.
If you are biamping, then that is much easier to swap drivers around than if using passive crossovers.

If just looking at diaphragms, consider that most aftermarket diaphragms are junk (hard to align-not as sensitive-less top end response etc). 

The Radian or JBL factory are the way to go.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2015, 10:49:25 AM »

2426's can last a looooooooooong time before failure.

The Radian aluminum diaphragm/mylar surround will present less distortion, and is robust, but the dome will eventually fatigue and fail.

Is this a lone 2426? If it must play with others you need to match the response.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2015, 12:02:41 PM »

The Radian aluminum diaphragm/mylar surround will present less distortion, and is robust, but the dome will eventually fatigue and fail.

Is this a lone 2426? If it must play with others you need to match the response.
"back in the day", the biggest problem I had with JBL HF drivers was the lead in wire separating from the first turn on the coil.

I never had any issues once I started using the Radian replacement diaphragms.

HOWEVER that previous statement was ONLY for the Altec and JBL replacement diaphragms.  I had lots of failure issues with the actual Radian drivers.  Not overpowering-just simply breaking without signs of any damage.

Now this was a few decades ago-so I don't know about current products.

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2015, 08:08:55 PM »

I have quite a few 2425 and 2426 drivers in stage monitors and smaller mid high boxes and have never burned up a voice coil, shattered or cracked a diaphragm.

I did have a couple where nomex voice coil former kind of bubbled in a couple places and started rubbing in the gap.
The voice coils showed no signs of over heating.

As for the replacement, get an original.
Also check the foam in the back cap, if it's an older 2426
the foam may be starting to go bad.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 08:28:08 AM by Mike Caldwell »

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2015, 08:57:59 PM »

I did have a couple where nomex voice coil former kind of bubbled in a couple places and started rubbing in the gap.
The voice coil show no signs of over heating.

As for the replacement, get an original.
Also check the foam in the back cap, if it's an older 2426
the foam may be starting to go bad.
I forgot about the "bubbling" and subsequent rubbing.

It has been a few years.

Of course when I was running mostly JBL raw products, my gear went through hell.  Not only with the signals applied-but also temp extremes-in out out of warehouse-trucks, outside-high humidity etc.

All of which can shorten components life.

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2015, 08:57:59 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 25 queries.