ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Nightwish tour  (Read 5666 times)

Tim Barber

• Eastern Washington State
Nightwish tour
« on: April 25, 2015, 02:24:15 PM »

I caught the Nightwish tour with Delain and Sabaton last night.  The sound was pretty decent overall. Bass guitar lacked some definition and there was - in my humble opinion - too much top end on the kick drum, it was really crispy. Vocals were actually very good.  The surprising thing to me was both support acts mixed FOH on an X32.  I spoke briefly to the sound guy and he said, yeah, it's not bad for the price...he just put some tape over the logo :)

The main act, Nightwish, was mixed on a very small digital desk I didn't recognize.  Couldn't get close enough to do more than take a crappy phone pic.  I asked one guy who thought it was a Digidesign.  Anybody recognize this?

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Re: Nightwish tour
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 05:55:42 PM »

I caught the Nightwish tour with Delain and Sabaton last night.  The sound was pretty decent overall. Bass guitar lacked some definition and there was - in my humble opinion - too much top end on the kick drum, it was really crispy. Vocals were actually very good.  The surprising thing to me was both support acts mixed FOH on an X32.  I spoke briefly to the sound guy and he said, yeah, it's not bad for the price...he just put some tape over the logo :)

The main act, Nightwish, was mixed on a very small digital desk I didn't recognize.  Couldn't get close enough to do more than take a crappy phone pic.  I asked one guy who thought it was a Digidesign.  Anybody recognize this?

The extra monitor screens scream Avid to me. One of the new 3 series!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: Nightwish tour console
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 06:27:36 PM »

The extra monitor screens scream Avid to me. One of the new 3 series!

What extra screens? the console on the right that is partially hidden is a grandMA2 Lite lighting console. The knobs and faders are approimately in the right place for an S3L but the color is all wrong and it is way too thick. I have not seen a sound console with a power connection on the side, or indicator lights on the side. Is it definitely a sound console?

Mac

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
Re: Nightwish tour
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 07:05:18 PM »

Gotta be an Avid S3L...

But yeah, it doesn't look quite right.

Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Tim Barber

• Eastern Washington State
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 10:08:44 PM »

Is it definitely a sound console?

I'm reasonably sure...his moves seemed to match the audio anyway.  They were set up near the house desk (an M7CL that was not turned on).

Here's another view, equally poor quality.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 11:12:10 PM »

I'm reasonably sure...his moves seemed to match the audio anyway.  They were set up near the house desk (an M7CL that was not turned on).

Here's another view, equally poor quality.

DAGNABBIT! I thought I was the only one who had a RedBull fridge mounted into a road case……. lol.
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 04:04:09 AM »

DAGNABBIT! I thought I was the only one who had a RedBull fridge mounted into a road case……. lol.
Ohh...we had a show that was sponsored by Red Bull here last year and they had a fridge taller than that whole road case that was built into a roadcase that they kept stocked with Red Bull for the 3 days that the show was here.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 10:56:34 AM »

Ohh...we had a show that was sponsored by Red Bull here last year and they had a fridge taller than that whole road case that was built into a roadcase that they kept stocked with Red Bull for the 3 days that the show was here.

I bought an ice maker. That is my next project: Mount that into another case, maybe with an 8U case on top with a water tank, and a hose to run down to the lower case.

Then we'll be set. :-D
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Cosmo

• SR Forums
  • Northern Colorado, USA
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2015, 10:10:16 AM »

I bought an ice maker. That is my next project: Mount that into another case, maybe with an 8U case on top with a water tank, and a hose to run down to the lower case.

Then we'll be set. :-D

Be careful.  Pretty soon you'll be running 6 ga. feeder to FOH.

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer.  Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away.  - H.D. Thoreau

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2015, 02:41:35 PM »

Be careful.  Pretty soon you'll be running 6 ga. feeder to FOH.

I recall running 5 strands of #2 to FOH for a Mannheim Steamroller holiday show...  Soundcraft Europa II (you rope 'er, you keep 'er) and the delay ring amp rack power.  I think the desk drew more current.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2015, 02:41:35 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 23 queries.