ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: installing sound for small club on a budget  (Read 2538 times)

Steven Campbell

• Stevie C and the place to be
    • Stevie C and the place to be
installing sound for small club on a budget
« on: April 22, 2015, 04:35:53 PM »

after going on facebook after the pub, i offered my sound and light services to a local publican that had recently taken over a local club. and i have been taken up on my offer.

There is nothing currently in the venue. i have not yet seen the venue (and can only vaguely recollect it from 7 years ago). if i had to guess, it would be maybe 2-300 hundred cap (not including the separate function suite).

having been on the receiving end of publican accounting before (and being familiar with clientsfromhell.com) a contract is the first thing on my mind - only problem is, i have no idea what to charge. as far as i know, i'll just be specifying speakers and lights, and fitting them in the venue. so what should i charge (assuming i take the project on, solo)| ? do i charge a bulk sum (which will probably include all the little bitty things to do that they dream up) or do i charge by the hour (say the living wage, or whatever?)

I intend to have a look at the place, and then decide whether i should take it on Solo, or pass off to various other people. the other alternatives are: finding someone else to work with or passing it off to another installer i know - but only in the hope he sub-contracts me. i'd actually prefer the latter, as i'm not confident in my abilities - especially if it came to mounting things in ceilings, on walls etc. the work (and whatever money) would be nice however...

the budget is essentially "as little as to get the doors open", so i can say goodbye to Bose, QSC, L-acoustics, labgruppen, Nexo, F1 etc. so i could either look at second-hand gear, or the alternative below:

I thought about getting a Yamaha DXR package from a local music dealer. this includes 2 active 15" tops and 2 active subs (cant remember if 15 or 18 inch) - as it includes it's own amps, crossover, limiter etc. and also a little mini mixer (allen&heath, peavey, soundcraft or similar) for various laptops and/or DJ mixers to plug into. I believe there are similar HK audio & Mackie systems. the thing about the mini-mixer as well would be having a summed mono out that can be used to send audio to smaller powered speakers at the bar or seating areas etc. i think the existing DJ booth is 8ft by 6ft.

lighting wise, i'll just be specifying 4 LED mirror/barrel scanners with DMX, a strobe, a 4 color laser, a 1000W fog machine or small hazer. maybe a centerpiece like the equinox scantastic or domin8r.

when i say getting, i'll just specify what needs to be bought, or accompany them to the dealer etc...

so to recap:
1) what should i be charging, and how?
2) obviously after i've had a reccy, i'll decide whether to take it on - but should i pass it off to a more confident installer (preferably that he employs me on the job)?
3) is my system choice ok (i acknowledge i've not given you a lot of details to base the judgement on)
"Work is more fun than fun" - Noel Coward

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: installing sound for small club on a budget
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 05:30:38 PM »

As per forum rules you must use your full real name here-BEFORE anybody can offer any answers
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 02:02:07 AM »

Steven, Welcome to the Forums! You have a pretty interesting situation, but I think the thing that jumps out at me first: you have no experience doing installs of this type. Does the pub owner know that you are new to installs?

If you are not confident in your abilities to fly speakers, lights, etc, DO NOT DO IT. That is one area that it must be done right, because if you screw up, people can die.

Power. Don't forget adequate power, if you want the ability to handle larger shows and maybe need to upgrade in the future.

It's easier to install plenty of lines (signal, etc) during construction, then it would be to add those later on.

Lasers: safety first.

Scope of Work. Make sure you clearly define what you will be doing, for what renumeration, paid on a specific timetable. Given the choice of hourly or package, I would look as to what you think followup needs might be. If you see them calling you back time and time again to make small changes (it's not that the system isn't functioning, they are just changing their mind) then an hourly rate would be smart. If you find that this client will allow you to clearly define the scope of the project, and then-- complete it, then a package rate for the project would be better. If you do it faster then you expect, you come out ahead.

Bottom line, if you don't have experience with a fixed install, you really should bring someone in who can do it more efficiently.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

duane massey

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 02:19:32 PM »

Without knowing more about the room/budget I would only suggest something OTHER than a laser. You would be better served to put in almost anything (Revo-type fixtures, LED bars, etc) as you will get more bang for your buck.
I would agree that it is not a wise idea to tackle an install on your own if you don't have confidence in your abilities/experience.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

MikeHarris

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 08:26:05 AM »

I like the DXR series but if you are using subs (I prefer the DSR118) you don't need a DXR15 in the air. I would look at 12's or 10's...once you see the room you may need more speakers for coverage. Yamaha has brackets available too. The 15's have a relatively larger profile than needed

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 08:26:05 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.