ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Limiter settings for EAW UX3600 / UX8800  (Read 2369 times)

Josh Billings

Limiter settings for EAW UX3600 / UX8800
« on: April 20, 2015, 09:10:04 PM »

Hey everyone

I've got a UX3600 (roughly same as ux8800) and I recently got Crest Pro Lite 7.5 Amps.

I'm running greybox EAW DCS2 subwoofers. I'm fairly certain amplifier gain is at 32db, but for Max RMS Voltage do I enter to Max RMS Voltage Swing of 124 volts? I want to make sure these are properly limited since we're running dance music through them.

Is there any way to get the limiter to kick in a little early? Want to play it safe with heavily compressed pre-recorded music

Josh Billings

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Limiter settings for EAW UX3600 / UX8800
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 10:37:01 PM »

Hey everyone

I've got a UX3600 (roughly same as ux8800) and I recently got Crest Pro Lite 7.5 Amps.

I'm running greybox EAW DCS2 subwoofers. I'm fairly certain amplifier gain is at 32db, but for Max RMS Voltage do I enter to Max RMS Voltage Swing of 124 volts? I want to make sure these are properly limited since we're running dance music through them.

Is there any way to get the limiter to kick in a little early? Want to play it safe with heavily compressed pre-recorded music

Josh Billings

Limiting something that doesn't really change in level?  You need to look closer to the input for that...

What does EAW say?  They're very good at answering questions like this.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Josh Billings

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 11:00:53 PM »

Limiting something that doesn't really change in level?  You need to look closer to the input for that...

What does EAW say?  They're very good at answering questions like this.

Just figured this was an easy quick answer type of thing. If nobody here knows then i'll definitely ask them.

Thanks for the reply

Josh

John Penkala

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 07:13:49 AM »

Hey everyone

Josh Billings

Josh,
         It is very simple. Just enter the amplifier gain, in your case 32db, the load impedance and the maximum power in watts that the amp produces at that load. The software will calculate the maximum voltage for you. You should be certain that your amp gain is actually 32db (40x).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHrImpGAeO0

If you use greybox settings, there is no user adjustment for the limiters. If you go with generic processing, you have control of the limiters but loose the benefits of greybox settings. I would definitely call EAW and ask them for their opinion. In my experience, the greybox settings limiters are very effective at maximizing sound quality at the expense of a few db of maximum output. YMMV
-JP
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 07:27:35 AM by John Penkala »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 07:13:49 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 24 queries.