ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Folded horn sub question  (Read 20741 times)

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Folded horn sub question
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2015, 07:44:39 PM »

I came from an RF design background and I find it to be very valuable in understanding acoustical wave propogation.  Just like an antenna can have gain along one angle of radiation that gain is accomplished by altering the pattern of the antenna and concentrating the energy in the desired center of radiation.  A speaker does the exact same thing.  It has gain within the pattern so the SPL will be higher.  Some may equate that to farther travel but it is not be inverse square and energy conservation laws always apply.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2015, 08:40:32 PM »

Take some good folded horn subs, like Danley BC or DBH.  Walk from 500' to 1'.  Indoors or out.  Let me know if any of that BS about waves needing distance to work correctly pans out.

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2015, 09:27:43 PM »

Dave Gunness spells it out right there.  It's the size of the radiating area in the near field.  Which matches up with my experience of large W horns or scoops vs. smaller quasi horns like the T18 or my CuboSubs.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2015, 10:11:38 PM »

My old CV folded horns had two very pronounced properties that I remember them for.

They were very "one note" boomy, and they were very loud..... oh and big and heavy ;)

I never had the opportunity to have a folded horn las beautiful as the Danley :(

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2015, 08:02:16 PM »

I'm not referring to the one style sub having more throw than another style sub argument . My question about is short distances...not long distances.

I think this is more about "wave development"

I'm in the camp of "inverse square law is constant".

That's why it isn't the "inverse square suggestion" :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2015, 08:15:57 PM »

That's why it isn't the "inverse square suggestion" :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
But it is NOT consistent or "stay the same" at all distances.

Once you get past a certain point-based on the size of the device and the freq-it is, but up close it is not as consistent.

So "the law" only applies to certain circumstances.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Len Zenith Jr

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2015, 08:27:28 PM »

This last Thursday we did a show with 4 PK sound Klarity 218's (direct radiator), and on Friday same venue with 4 Tuba 60's (folded horn). Subs in the exact same spot both nights and the same staff working both nights so I took a poll of everyones opinion and did some measurements.

Everyone was pretty much in agreement that the direct radiators "sounded" louder and had a bit more impact. Everyone was also in agreement that the folded horns sounded smoother and more musical and the word that kept coming up was that they sounded "cleaner".

My measurements told a different story. The direct radiators were pounding away at 128 dBc's (1 meter), and the folded horns were at a steady 132 dBc's (1 meter). Although the staff thought the horns sounded quieter, they were in fact 4 dB's louder. I attribute the direct radiators perceived loudness and "impact" to the harmonics given off and the fact that our ears are much more sensitive to the higher frequencies of the harmonics than the fundamentals. I also attribute the increased "throw" of the folded horns due to the fact that they were 4 dB's louder to begin with.

Peter Morris

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2015, 07:45:41 AM »

This last Thursday we did a show with 4 PK sound Klarity 218's (direct radiator), and on Friday same venue with 4 Tuba 60's (folded horn). Subs in the exact same spot both nights and the same staff working both nights so I took a poll of everyones opinion and did some measurements.

Everyone was pretty much in agreement that the direct radiators "sounded" louder and had a bit more impact. Everyone was also in agreement that the folded horns sounded smoother and more musical and the word that kept coming up was that they sounded "cleaner".

My measurements told a different story. The direct radiators were pounding away at 128 dBc's (1 meter), and the folded horns were at a steady 132 dBc's (1 meter). Although the staff thought the horns sounded quieter, they were in fact 4 dB's louder. I attribute the direct radiators perceived loudness and "impact" to the harmonics given off and the fact that our ears are much more sensitive to the higher frequencies of the harmonics than the fundamentals. I also attribute the increased "throw" of the folded horns due to the fact that they were 4 dB's louder to begin with.

You are absolutely correct, that is exactly what happening  :) I also think those extra harmonics that make is sound louder in the near field tend not to sum that well in the far field. This impacts on their perceived throw.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 08:20:22 AM by Peter Morris »

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2015, 08:04:37 AM »

But can you really get an accurate SPL reading from a folded horn cabinet at 1 meter?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2015, 08:04:37 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 25 queries.