ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with small cruise boat install please  (Read 8601 times)

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
Re: Help with small cruise boat install please
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2015, 07:20:27 PM »

They have nice length-of-boat 12 ga runs in place.  It will be fairly easy to tap 16-18 ga off to the speakers.

Remember that you're going to want to be able to control the levels inside and out separately.  Inside things will be consistent while outside vary greatly.  The AT-XX (XX= choose wattage needed) Atlas 70V volume controls are good for this.

How many side mount speakers for the 20x40 upper deck do you think?  I'm hoping 6 ?,  4 corners and 2 mid deck?  Any particular JBL Control recommendation?

I'd have to see a design to make any recommendations.  The largest fleet I've worked with had a space on either side of the wheel house you walk to the front of and we decided that these spaces weren't not a priority and left them to what over spill over they would get from the main area of the upper deck, which would make your listening area smaller.  Depending on a lot of things, it was usually a 25T or a 28T

Added:  And Dick is right.  I didn't mean to make light of it before but you should bring up the licensing thing so that they are at least aware.  I'm bringing this up with a would be client who is about take their listening area from a fairly large bar to a fairly large bar with a large outdoor area, effectively doubling or tripling their FOC and making them an even bigger target.  And John is partially right: If you have a commercial Sirius subscription (not a standard home subscription), licensing may be included with their content, but not with your iPod, a band or terrestrial radio or any other source.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 07:30:38 PM by Lee Douglas »
This space for rent

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2015, 09:15:20 PM »

Not sure how it works down there. This is for Canada.
If you use Sirius for music playback in public spaces, they take care of all licensing fees. We went with them a few years ago and we're saving a boatload (pardon the pun) of money.

From the OP:

"They play background music, their own, and allow guests to plug in ipods, etc. "

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2015, 11:27:32 AM »

Not sure how it works down there. This is for Canada.
If you use Sirius for music playback in public spaces, they take care of all licensing fees. We went with them a few years ago and we're saving a boatload (pardon the pun) of money.

And you're paying them for this service, right? They've sold the service (access to the music) with this in mind, and they manage all of the license fees for you. Pretty smooth, and quite a few services offer this.

What Dick mentions is that if they're playing their own music (store bought CDs, iTunes Store purchases, etc) these are all licensed for personal use, NOT for business purposes. Background music or not, the fact is that the music is a key part of the experience that they are in business to deliver, and needs to be licensed appropriately.

I
Whether they choose to do it right from the beginning or cowboy it until they get caught makes no difference to me personally, but as an installer I would be remiss in not informing them of the issue.

It's an ethics thang...

I'm the same way with Sales Tax. When I consummate an eBay Sale, and I collect sales tax based on their state-- well, I can only collect one rate for an entire state (eBay limitation). I set the rate to the lowest possible, so I am never overcharging anyone. I am most likely undercharging based on someone's location, but I don't have a way to go and verify that, and I have verbiage on my listings that state that the customer remains liable in full for any applicable state sales tax up to the full amount required, regardless of whether or not I collected enough.

Whether they remit that correct amount to their state or not is not my concern; I am just doing my professionally responsible thing in letting them know they ARE liable for state sales tax.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2015, 11:43:48 AM »

Yes.  They should be aware that any business or public space using playback or performance of copyrighted material is subject to licensing through BMI/ASCAP.

Whether they choose to do it right from the beginning or cowboy it until they get caught makes no difference to me personally, but as an installer I would be remiss in not informing them of the issue.

It's an ethics thang...

I brought it up.....she says yes, they have been playing, or should i say paying, by the book...
Doesn't surprise me, they are good folks sincerely trying to meet a whole boatload :) of regulations...

John L Nobile

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2015, 11:45:59 AM »

From the OP:

"They play background music, their own, and allow guests to plug in ipods, etc. "

I got that. Just wanted to throw that in to see if Sirius offered the same service down there. We went from paying 3 grand a year (which was going up to 5 grand) down to 70 dollars a month. I was quite sceptical at first and called the organizations we were paying. They confirmed that this was true.
And we have a much better music service.

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2015, 11:50:48 AM »

Lee, quick question..... I'm not sure from reading the Bogen GS manual, how to hook up mics (2) to make aux input ducking work ....
http://www.bogen.com/products/pdfs/mixerampspdfs/GS35m.pdf

Thx,  mark

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2015, 02:26:20 PM »

Another good question would be verify the power source. 

120 single phase ??   or balanced 60 on hot   ground and 60 on nuetral ?? 

If power is balanced then a double pole power switch will be needed.

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2015, 10:08:09 PM »

Lee, quick question..... I'm not sure from reading the Bogen GS manual, how to hook up mics (2) to make aux input ducking work ....

Thx,  mark

Been awhile, but I think we either used the telephone input for the ducking mic and/or contact closure on a PTT.
This space for rent

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2015, 07:29:09 AM »

Thx,  mark

There is no built in trigger for the ducking on a GS unless you are using a telephone input.  Once you switch the inputs to be mic pre's you have to use a contact closure to trigger.  You use a closure per ducked input.  Some mics built for paging/announcement duty have a switch closure pair of wires available for this purpose.

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2015, 08:24:44 AM »

There is no built in trigger for the ducking on a GS unless you are using a telephone input.  Once you switch the inputs to be mic pre's you have to use a contact closure to trigger.  You use a closure per ducked input.  Some mics built for paging/announcement duty have a switch closure pair of wires available for this purpose.

Lee

That's what I thought, thanks.  Just trying to make sure i wasn't missing something....

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2015, 08:24:44 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 26 queries.