ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Optical drive compatibility  (Read 2547 times)

Stephen Swaffer

Optical drive compatibility
« on: April 13, 2015, 02:27:06 PM »

We are transitioning to using a Mac for our primary media source-it has been going well, but last night I was thrown another curve ball.  A missionary showed up with a data DVD containing a .wmv file.  Ultimately played the file with VLC-the problem was getting to the file.  The Mac brought up the DVD as a blank DVD-I had to use a PC to copy the .wmv file to a flash drive and transfer.  Easy enough-but, I would ultimately like to get away from needing a PC around for the the oddball presentation bail out (space plus keeping a PC updated for once every couple years just doesn't make sense).

Is this an issue with the optical drive on the iMac?  Or compatibility?  Is there an external drive I can use with the iMac as a work around?   
Steve Swaffer

John L Nobile

Re: Optical drive compatibility
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 04:43:35 PM »

Years ago Mac optical drives were only able to do either -R or +R DVD's . Can't remember which. Self burnt DVD's can be a problem. In fact they usually are with Mac's from my experience.
I'd suggest keeping a PC around. There'll always be a time when the Mac won't load something or you need an app that only works in Windows. It's much better now. But even if it was 99.9%, you'll come across that .01% at the worst time.

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Optical drive compatibility
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 04:43:35 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 24 queries.