ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: sound quality for cell phone headphone out to mixer.  (Read 14248 times)

Jim McKeveny

Re: sound quality for cell phone headphone out to mixer.
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2015, 08:36:26 AM »

"Sound quality", "cell phone" and "headphone out" are mutually exclusive terms...

Agreed.

If we reframe the question it is "How can I get professional sound 'quality' - itself a wildly fungible concept - from an inherently design-compromised, consumer item, that should not be placed in mission-critical, paying-customer situations?"

Even if only for walk-in music, that is prime pre-show eat/pee/poop time. I don't wish to be recalled because a cheap and convenient device is on the stick.

OTOH - If someone insists on this, I have on hand 3 meter Hosa HD stereo 1/8" - 2 x XLRM terminated by 2 x IL19 transformers. Never any issue....and take the goddam case off the phone.

PSS - And Thank You!  Mr. I-Me-Mine Travelling Soundperson for introducing the most germ-laden/invasive-species/Ebola-tinged electronic disease-sponge possible into our hot and enclosed mixing space. You did wipe it down with Purell before you asked me to "Just hit Play...?" No? Then why not just bring the toilet seat(s) from the plane in here and have us "shake hands" with it?!

Sorry bro, but I have a mortgage, wife, and kids in college. You may have unknown Thai sex workers in your recent past.  And that cough isn't reassuring!

« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 09:20:50 AM by Jim McKeveny »

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2015, 08:49:16 AM »

Agreed.

If we reframe the question it is "How can I get professional sound 'quality' - itself a wildly fungible concept - from an inherently design-compromised, consumer item, that should not be placed in mission-critical, paying-customer situations?"

Even if only for walk-in music, that is prime pre-show eat/pee/poop time. I don't wish to be recalled because a cheap and convenient device is on the stick.

OTOH - If someone insists on this, I have on hand 3 meter Hosa HD stereo 1/8" - 2 x XLRM terminated by 2 x IL19 transformers. Never any issue....and take the goddam case off the phone.

It would be interesting to see the impulse response and frequency response of the different types of phones out there. I have a iPhone5 and might just load a log sweep on there and see what it looks like after it runs through gratisvolver.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2015, 09:16:04 AM »

I have never been happier with the Rolls AV Presenter.
Sums to mono which saves on channel count
Ground lift for noisy laptop power supplies
Left/Right Volume controls before sum
3.5mm in, RCA in and loop out.
Very affordable and freaking tiny

I have one of those and I really like it. If the console doesn’t have RCA or ¼” inputs and I don’t have one of the Whirlwind pcDI or podDI available I will use the Rolls device.

For curiosity sake I tested the Rolls with SMAART and it does roll off the low end. Maybe that’s why it’s a Rolls ;-). I didn’t save the trace. I still like it. I haven’t tested the Whirlwind ones yet.

Paul C Smith

« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2015, 12:14:57 PM »

Though these are overkill for most, I have a couple with XLR outputs (pro model) and they sound quite nice.
http://centrance.com/products/hifi-m8/

Scott Helmke

« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2015, 02:23:09 PM »

How long is the run?

I just make my own cables, a 1/8" to a pair of XLRs, wired pin 2 hot, pin 3 gnd.

It works great.

If you need a mono connection, then put a series resistor (a couple hundred ohms or so)  for each channel and then parallel them.

Again pin 2 hot, pin 3 ground. 

I leave pin 1 floating in both cases.

No pin 1, so no phantom as long as a grounded charger/PSU isn't in the system.

Brilliant. Last night I fixed my show-bag cables to be the same way.

Lyle Williams

« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2015, 04:30:14 PM »

Though these are overkill for most, I have a couple with XLR outputs (pro model) and they sound quite nice.
http://centrance.com/products/hifi-m8/

This is a DAC isn't it?  It claims to work with an iPod, but an iPod doesn't support an external DAC.

Matt Woodward

« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2015, 06:20:29 PM »

Apparently as an audio player an iPhone 5 is not that bad. As long as it's got good source material.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/iphone-5/audio-quality.htm
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 06:22:47 PM by Matt Woodward »

tkroeker

« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2015, 09:09:39 PM »

OK more understanding of my situation. HTC cell phone, headphone out, I used an RDL STA-1 Universal line amplifier into a commercial 100 watt amp...The RDL gave it better volume wich does clean it up since it doesnt need to be turned up... The sound just seems like its Trash in Trash out.

I am working on a custom tool box design that would have really nice and loud systems. Most people are going to want to slap their cell onto it. I want to have boxes out there that sound good if they do.

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2015, 08:50:12 AM »

Apparently as an audio player an iPhone 5 is not that bad. As long as it's got good source material.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/iphone-5/audio-quality.htm

FWIW, If you are a photographer, particularly a Nikon'er, Ken Rockwell's site is full of great advice/tips. I really like his writing style.
Mark McFarlane

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2015, 09:06:57 AM »

FWIW, If you are a photographer, particularly a Nikon'er, Ken Rockwell's site is full of great advice/tips. I really like his writing style.
As the owner of 70+ film cameras (some of them Nikon)  I fall into that category.  I like Ken Rockwell but there is a surprising amount of hate for him and his writing style on photography forums.

Steve.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2015, 09:06:57 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 23 queries.