ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: American DJ Scene Setter 24 and DMX controller?  (Read 9145 times)

Jeff Hague

• Richmond Pro Audio
American DJ Scene Setter 24 and DMX controller?
« on: April 01, 2015, 10:40:06 AM »

Hi all! Been on these forums for years but always for sound. I swore Id never buy lights but...
I am putting together a light rig to use mostly for small outdoor festival type gigs. Most of the time these will be during the day so the "light show" will be primarily just some simple chases. Here is what I have.

Front lights:
2 11' trees with T-bars
8 par56 with 300w medium floods
2 ADJ 4 channel dimmer packs

Back lights:
2 14' crank trees
3 7.15' 12" box truss
24 par64 with 600w narrow ray kits
6 ADJ 4 channel dimmer packs
4 ADJ scanners
2 ADJ moving heads
1 ADJ atmospheric laser
1 ADJ hazer

I ordered an ADJ Scene Setter 24 which should be fine for running the par cans but I need something for the intelligent lights. I am considering the ADJ DMX Operator.

Can I daisy chain the 2 controllers so I can only run 1 DMX cable from FOH to the stage?
Would there be any conflicts using those 2 controllers (overlapping DMX channels, etc.)?

Am I missing anything? Any help is appreciated - thanks!

Jeff

Jerome Malsack

Re: American DJ Scene Setter 24 and DMX controller?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 11:12:14 AM »

The answer here is no.  two controllers should not be on the one Universe.  Best to have two universe, Two separate cable runs. 

I run the Stage Setter 8 on the front T's with 8 par 38 cans to keep white light on the artist following the solo.  The DMX Operator runs the second universe and runs the light show of the smart lights.  Color changes, chases,  and such. 

Jeff Hague

• Richmond Pro Audio
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 11:35:52 AM »

The answer here is no.  two controllers should not be on the one Universe.  Best to have two universe, Two separate cable runs. 

I run the Stage Setter 8 on the front T's with 8 par 38 cans to keep white light on the artist following the solo.  The DMX Operator runs the second universe and runs the light show of the smart lights.  Color changes, chases,  and such.

Excellent - thanks! Aside from 2 DMX cables, that sounds like it simplifies a lot of stuff.

Jeff

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 11:38:28 AM »

Hi all! Been on these forums for years but always for sound. I swore Id never buy lights but...
I am putting together a light rig to use mostly for small outdoor festival type gigs. Most of the time these will be during the day so the "light show" will be primarily just some simple chases. Here is what I have.

Front lights:
2 11' trees with T-bars
8 par56 with 300w medium floods
2 ADJ 4 channel dimmer packs

Back lights:
2 14' crank trees
3 7.15' 12" box truss
24 par64 with 600w narrow ray kits
6 ADJ 4 channel dimmer packs
4 ADJ scanners
2 ADJ moving heads
1 ADJ atmospheric laser
1 ADJ hazer

I ordered an ADJ Scene Setter 24 which should be fine for running the par cans but I need something for the intelligent lights. I am considering the ADJ DMX Operator.

Can I daisy chain the 2 controllers so I can only run 1 DMX cable from FOH to the stage?
Would there be any conflicts using those 2 controllers (overlapping DMX channels, etc.)?

Am I missing anything? Any help is appreciated - thanks!

Jeff

Have you considered LED lighting? Makes the electrical easier

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 11:43:26 AM »

I have considered that but the Computers and DMX operator are not able to follow the lead / Solo act as they dance around the stage. 

I am looking at the playstation and the cameras that track game players but still find it hard to transition from the lead singer to a guitar solo or back to the drum solo when chasing the lights to the solo. 

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 11:51:50 AM »

On a further note on this I do run one LED color changer on the front two T's, I will be placing 4 when the budget has the money.
The white par cans will be staying and they will be color above and white below, or vice a versa.   The color LED will be still doing the stage color wash on the DMX Operator or computer control and the white lights run manual control to follow the lead. 

Jeff Hague

• Richmond Pro Audio
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 02:33:26 PM »

Yes I did consider LED lighting. In fact the last light rig I put together for a band was all LED but they are a club act. Since this will mainly be used outdoors in daylight I think the ray kits will have a little more impact - especially considering the budget. I have seen LEDs that can pop in daylight but they are way beyond what I can spend.
Thanks!
Jeff

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 06:28:51 PM »

Yes, actually you can use two DMX controllers on a single universe...the catch is that you need another piece of equipment to make it work.  The Elation DM-2512R DMX Merger is an example of what you'd use to accomplish this.  Now, if you just plan on using one controller for one set of lights and another controller for a second set, all this unit would save you is a cable (which I have to think is a lot cheaper)...  Where mergers really get useful is if you're going to interweave light fixtures between controllers, such as using your Scene Setter to control a moving light's intensity and a dedicated moving light board to control the same unit's pan and tilt. 

Anyways, be sure you know the limitations of the DMX Operator before buying it.  I know many people that have purchased a DMX Operator, Chauvet Obey 40, etc. and been disappointed when they find out what all it can't do (or can't do well).  Both are decent boards when used for their intended purpose, but you certainly can't compare them to a true 'professional' light console.  What all do you want your movers to do?  Are you just looking for basic movement, or do you want more on-the-fly customization, layering, cue stacks?  What kind of budget do you have for this?  You may want to look into some of the computer controllers like MagicQ PC and MPC.  You'll get much better bang to buck out of those and when set up correctly, can be busking friendly despite not having any physical interface.  When you talk about following the lead around the stage, what exactly do you have in mind for that?  Hope this helps! 

duane massey

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2015, 11:19:28 PM »

Buy a Showdesigner, run the whole rig with it. Once you get the hang of it you'll be very, very happy. New $750 or less, used on Ebay can be found for under $300.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Jeff Hague

• Richmond Pro Audio
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2015, 05:26:34 PM »

Buy a Showdesigner, run the whole rig with it. Once you get the hang of it you'll be very, very happy. New $750 or less, used on Ebay can be found for under $300.

Elation Showdesigner? I see them new on eBay for about $1500 and used for $750ish...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2015, 05:26:34 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 25 queries.