ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: New EV Sub  (Read 15300 times)

Brandon Wright

New EV Sub
« on: March 31, 2015, 05:26:42 PM »

Not to mimic the "new supersub" thread, but I wondered if anyone has noticed the new sub EV is promoting in the X-Line Advance line that also seems to defeat Hoffman's Iron Law? Now, I know there are no published response plots yet, but if the preliminary specs are right it is 1db more sensitive that the xsub, goes lower, has 4x the power handling, and is a significantly smaller enclosure. I've always known EV to be pretty conservative in their specs, but this would be a big deal. At 105db 1w/1m, it seems that the new drivers would have to be considerably more sensitive than the current crop of 18 inch super drivers.

http://www.electrovoice.com/X-LineAdvance/

David Morison

• SR Forums
  • Aberdeen, Scotland
Re: New EV Sub
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 08:04:37 AM »

Not to mimic the "new supersub" thread, but I wondered if anyone has noticed the new sub EV is promoting in the X-Line Advance line that also seems to defeat Hoffman's Iron Law? Now, I know there are no published response plots yet, but if the preliminary specs are right it is 1db more sensitive that the xsub, goes lower, has 4x the power handling, and is a significantly smaller enclosure. I've always known EV to be pretty conservative in their specs, but this would be a big deal. At 105db 1w/1m, it seems that the new drivers would have to be considerably more sensitive than the current crop of 18 inch super drivers.

From the Spec sheet:

Height 110.49 mm (4.35")
Width 75.88 mm (2.99")
Depth 517.5 mm (20.37")

You're not kidding about it being small, are you?
Spinal Tap much!!!

chuck clark

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 02:20:46 AM »

From the Spec sheet:
Height 110.49 mm (4.35")
Width 75.88 mm (2.99")
Depth 517.5 mm (20.37")

looks like a case of a mis-placed decimal point!
Chuck

Brandon Wright

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 06:11:46 PM »

PDF is up

http://www.electrovoice.com/downloadfile.php?i=973636

105 seems a bit optimistic, but 100db sensitivity at 30hz from a small-ish reflex box with big boy power handling is nothing to shake a stick at. Looking forward to hearing them the next time I am in Burnsville.

Brandon Wright

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 01:32:51 PM »

The dvf4180 looks suspiciously like the 18tlw3000, and the power ratings are congruent with this assumption as well. If this is the case, is it possible to get these sorts of sensitivity figures out of a pair of 95db woofers?

This thread hasn't gotten much response so far, which surprises me because this seems like a big step.

Art, I was specifically hoping you would weigh in. 

chuck clark

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 01:52:59 AM »

The dvf4180 looks suspiciously like the 18tlw3000, and the power ratings are congruent with this assumption as well. If this is the case, is it possible to get these sorts of sensitivity figures out of a pair of 95db woofers?

This thread hasn't gotten much response so far, which surprises me because this seems like a big step.

Because EV has a rep for pretty accurate specification, the advanced performance spec combined w/ the compact size and under 200lb. weight could make these a standout subwoofer choice.
  I'm guessing the lack of response so far is because they are so new, almost NO-one has gotten their hands on a pair. I'm going to Google the dvf4180 now.  Also curious about price!?  Thanx for heads-up on these Brandon.
Chuck

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 01:09:20 PM »

Art, I was specifically hoping you would weigh in.
Brandon,

I can't find any TS parameters on the DVF4180 drivers, so there is little I can say having not heard the subs. The sensitivity in the 40-100 range looks to be about 104 dB, which would be 101 dB sensitivity per driver, possible for a light cone with a short voice coil and limited Xmax in a relatively large box.

From the depiction of the driver, the magnet slab looks about the same depth as their old EVX drivers, which have only 6.4 mm of Xmax, which is lame by today's standards with 15mm and up available.
Although the sensitivity seems great, without decent Xmax this driver may not come near the rated output except at frequencies above 80 Hz.

Art

Brandon Wright

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 02:49:58 PM »

Brandon,

I can't find any TS parameters on the DVF4180 drivers, so there is little I can say having not heard the subs. The sensitivity in the 40-100 range looks to be about 104 dB, which would be 101 dB sensitivity per driver, possible for a light cone with a short voice coil and limited Xmax in a relatively large box.

From the depiction of the driver, the magnet slab looks about the same depth as their old EVX drivers, which have only 6.4 mm of Xmax, which is lame by today's standards with 15mm and up available.
Although the sensitivity seems great, without decent Xmax this driver may not come near the rated output except at frequencies above 80 Hz.

Art

That was my thought, that the sensitivity and the powerhandling claims are at odds with each other. It seems that in order to achieve both some significant leaps would have to have been made in driver technology. Based on the posted response, this would be a 43x20x30 box that could keep up with the much larger, horn loaded dbh218 below say 60hz. Now I know it is dangerous to judge a driver by looking at a sketchup in a pdf, but it sure looks like the rather unique looking 18tlw3000. Maybe they just used some clip art they pulled of the internet.

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2015, 05:27:17 PM »

Now I know it is dangerous to judge a driver by looking at a sketchup in a pdf, but it sure looks like the rather unique looking 18tlw3000. Maybe they just used some clip art they pulled of the internet.
It sure does look like the 18 sound 18tlw3000, which has 12mm Xmax. Sensitivity looks inflated, but output potential would be greater than the EVX series, though would take another 6 dB or more power to get there.

Ross Macafee

• Noise Gate Audio
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2015, 03:13:02 PM »

Looking forward to hearing this box today at EVs showcase for them today. I'll report back my thoughts

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2015, 03:13:02 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 25 queries.