ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tech Rider Contract Escape Clause?  (Read 3744 times)

Peter Kowalczyk

Tech Rider Contract Escape Clause?
« on: March 31, 2015, 01:09:42 AM »

Hi Folks,

I'm working on a bid for a summer concert series that will involve a not-yet-determined lineup of both local and touring artists, and playing the 'what-if' game in my head.  I don't expect any of the talent to be travelling with an engineer or stringent tech rider requirements, but I could foresee a touring engineer being underwhelmed by my little rig*  Since I don't want to be responsible for renting a visiting engineer's favorite desk or speakers (killing any hope of a profit on my part), I wonder if there's precedent for an escape clause in your contract to get out of a gig if your rig doesn't satisfy the talent's rider.  I'd rather pass the gig on to a company who can provide what they require at that point.

This wouldn't be an issue if we were bidding on a single gig with known requirements, but since the Venue is booking production before talent for this series, we don't know what we might encounter.  I doubt it will become a problem, but better safe than sorry, right?

Anyone include such a clause in their agreements?

Thanks in advance; grateful for any insights!

* rig is an X32, driving DSR112s over DSR118s for a reasonably-upscale outdoor audience of 100-200 diners and lawn-chair wine-drinkers over an area of ~200 square feet.  As best I can gather, the program material won't require rock-concert levels; more adult-contemporary than heavy metal.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
Re: Tech Rider Contract Escape Clause?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 01:47:16 AM »

Since I don't want to be responsible for renting a visiting engineer's favorite desk or speakers (killing any hope of a profit on my part), I wonder if there's precedent for an escape clause in your contract to get out of a gig if your rig doesn't satisfy the talent's rider.

Surely your contract would be with the event organiser (who I assume is paying you).  If a band turns up and is not happy with the equipment supplied, they should take it up with him - although at that stage, it's a bit late.

It would make more sense to see all of the riders before you bid but I appreciate that could be near impossible sometimes.

I think that if your contract specifically states what you will be providing, then you don't need a get out clause - it's effectively already there. 

Steve.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 02:25:39 AM »

Why would having to rent other gear make you want to cancel the contract? Instead, put terms in the contract that specify what you will provide, and have a clause that if additional gear is requested by talent or otherwise, the promoter is responsible for any costs associated with the additional requirements.  Pretty standard way to operate.
Brian Jojade

David Morison

• SR Forums
  • Aberdeen, Scotland
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 08:23:13 AM »

Why would having to rent other gear make you want to cancel the contract? Instead, put terms in the contract that specify what you will provide, and have a clause that if additional gear is requested by talent or otherwise, the promoter is responsible for any costs associated with the additional requirements.   Pretty standard way to operate.

Exactly what I was thinking as I read the OP.
Cheers,
David.

Matt Vivlamore

• Lab Lounge
  • Southern Maryland
    • https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 09:38:03 AM »

* rig is an X32, driving DSR112s over DSR118s for a reasonably-upscale outdoor audience of 100-200 diners and lawn-chair wine-drinkers over an area of ~200 square feet.  As best I can gather, the program material won't require rock-concert levels; more adult-contemporary than heavy metal.

With that event setting & rig... I wouldn't stress out about not meeting Riders.  I am sure once you talked to the Band Tech about the event, he would be happy with this rig.

When I send out the Rider for the band; it starts out with a big name Line Array and a couple dreamy digital consoles (written up for large conferences in huge ballrooms/convention centers).  Then when I speak to the System Provider & Promoter about the event, I adjust the rig accordingly.  There have been a few events that I accepted PRX612m & VRX918SP with an LS9-16 (we've done this private event a few times and its a fly date for us).

We're based in Southern Maryland, and LIKE us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 09:43:00 AM »

This wouldn't be an issue if we were bidding on a single gig with known requirements, but since the Venue is booking production before talent for this series, we don't know what we might encounter.  I doubt it will become a problem, but better safe than sorry, right?

Anyone include such a clause in their agreements?

If we are doing a series of dates with blind riders, which we have done, I specify exactly what we are going to provide and then add:
'Any additional equipment requested by the artist will be clear by the Event Coordinator and add at additional cost to the event if approved.'

This has only happened a couple of times and when the Coordinator screamed about cost, I could go back to my original contract and explain the difference in price.  This way it is the Event Coordinators responsibility to accept the additional cost, not yours.

Bill
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

Peter Kowalczyk

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 01:23:10 PM »

'Any additional equipment requested by the artist will be clear by the Event Coordinator and add at additional cost to the event if approved.'

Okay, that makes perfect sense - pass the cost of additional tech requirements to the promoter, rather than passing on the gig. 

Thanks for your insight, I'll be sure to write this into the contract.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 01:23:10 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 23 queries.