ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Going from powered to passive  (Read 6987 times)

Joe Seliski

Going from powered to passive
« on: March 30, 2015, 06:16:59 PM »

OK - so after a couple years of running QSC K10s for monitors, I have to have an amp/passive system simply because of the nuisance of running AC power and the variables of the controls on the speakers and keeping hands off them (I need it simple enough for even drummers to set up).  I need 6 channels of monitors.  What would be a good performing 12" passive monitor box (I know i was using K10s - but have concerns that a reasonable priced passive may not be as efficient with lows as the K10) 

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
Re: Going from powered to passive
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 12:46:18 AM »

The K10 is a nice speaker, but from a performance standpoint is not hard to beat. The JBL PRX 400 and STX series is comparable as well as the electro voice tour-x and live X lines. I have Renkus Heinz CFX121M's that I like and EAW LA212's are nice too. The real challenge is going to be replacing them with something close that is about the same price. Just about any 12" will have more lows than the K10's, but low end performance in monitors is usually not what your looking for. The speaker couples to the floor essentially adding bass anyway. The Electro voice options will probably be the best priced for performance. The Renkus Heinz I have are about $750 new, the EAW about $1,200 new, the STX about $1,000 new and the prx about $450+ new. The EV live X is about $300 new and the Tour x is about $750 new. Most of these options are higher in cost than the K10's $600 price tag. Keep in mind you will still need amplification too. Just about every speaker mentioned here is rated for 500 watts program. So you will need an amp capable of at least 500 watts per channel at 8 ohms. The rare one in the bunch is the Renkus Heinz CFX121M box which is a 4 Ohm speaker.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 02:33:54 AM »

If you can find them, I'm a huge fan of the now discontinued SRX712m. If you're patient, finding them for $600 used is possible.

They are nice and compact and sound amazing on stage and otherwise. You can power them with a huge amp, but for monitors, you could get by with something more modest. I run 4 mixes on a QSC PLD4.5 and never come close to needing that power on stage.
Brian Jojade

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 06:46:02 AM »

OK - so after a couple years of running QSC K10s for monitors, I have to have an amp/passive system simply because of the nuisance of running AC power and the variables of the controls on the speakers and keeping hands off them (I need it simple enough for even drummers to set up).  I need 6 channels of monitors.  What would be a good performing 12" passive monitor box (I know i was using K10s - but have concerns that a reasonable priced passive may not be as efficient with lows as the K10)

If you're budget conscious I have found the Cerwin Vega CVi-122m  to be an acceptable wedge with a little EQing. I picked two up on a "Deal of the Day" for $99 ea just have a couple "horn on top" wedges for mobile singers who tend to walk out of the coverage area of the standard turned sideways horns in powered speakers. I've been breaking them in at band practice and although, not super high fidelity, they do what I need a monitor to do. I've been able to get them really loud in a small room with no feedback issues. Vocals cut thru really well. When not on special they list for only $299 ea.

We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Scott Slater

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 08:45:34 AM »

I was thinking have you ever considered using the remote control jack that was supplied with the speaker with a resistor soldered into it to limit the max output?  Not with a wire, just the resistor.  This would prevent musicians from turning it up on stage, unless they were savvy enough to remove the plug with the resistor on it.

I just changed from Yamaha 12" and 15" wedges to K10's.  I haven't tried this myself, but I think it will work.  I will ask my electronics friend about it and consider it if this becomes a problem for me.  So far, I haven't really had an issue.

Matt Vivlamore

• Lab Lounge
  • Southern Maryland
    • https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 09:24:01 AM »

What sort of budget do you have in mind?
We're based in Southern Maryland, and LIKE us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 10:35:37 AM »

Ditto.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 12:02:01 PM »

I was thinking have you ever considered using the remote control jack that was supplied with the speaker with a resistor soldered into it to limit the max output?  Not with a wire, just the resistor.  This would prevent musicians from turning it up on stage, unless they were savvy enough to remove the plug with the resistor on it.

This would act like a master control volume. It would work if SOP is gains wide open so someone can't turn the box up higher.  But the problem with boxes on stage is that someone can fiddle with the controls and now they are on stage where you can't see them.  What if someone turned the control DOWN. Now you have to crank your gain WAY up to get a decent level. Then they decide they want more and turn it up again.  Unless you make the controls inaccessible, this is a possibility, and WILL happen.

That is one of the primary reasons I use passive speakers on stages.  No knobs to mess with.  Controls are safely guarded by the monitor tech on the side of the stage.
Brian Jojade

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 07:26:49 PM »

I guess I work with more respectful bands? I don't use active speakers for monitors much, but if a band member was to make a change, I would probably slap his fat hand and ask " what did we learn "? All kidding aside, your problem is mostly related to lack of communication it seems? A band member that feels entitled enough to mess with something that could have implications, is one who probably doesn't feel he has the ability to ask for the change to begin with? Have you tried a different approach to directing the bands on asking for changes? Or is this an issue where the use is for rentals and the end user is not trained well enough to operate the things properly?

The only reason I ask is because you are venturing into expensive grounds for a change. It will basically work out close to $700-$900 + per mix being conservative ( don't forget about speakon cables at about $1 per foot ) about things. Speakers that are comparable start at about the $400-$600 mark and proper amplification costs around the same. Luckily it takes half the number of amps as speakers. There are more than enough options that will all perform as well as the K10's, but at what cost? What are you willing to spend? 
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Joe Seliski

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2015, 12:55:07 PM »

I would like to stay under $500 if possible - also if there was a smaller solution (10" passive) that could sound close to a K10 I would look at that also
Ditto on the SRX712m - those are great boxes - but a little too rich for this system - thank you

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2015, 12:55:07 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.