ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Adding Subs to Round Venue  (Read 6101 times)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Adding Subs to Round Venue
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2015, 07:50:04 AM »

In term of "doing it right" directional sub arrays could be used in the "exploded" positions of the subs in the model.

HOWEVER this is not going to fit in the budget.

Often the budget does not fit the physical needs, and asking for "unusual" setups usually requires more investment.

Sure you can put speakers anywhere and make noise, but how even is the noise is the real question.

Some people don't care, but if you start to have acoustic issues (such as feedback), it IS very important to understand what is happening in the physical realm-to help guide you to solution.

I would attempt to move the problem to a "different physical realm".

I would consider putting a single sub ABOVE the structure and facing down.

This would keep the energy much more even and possibly reduce the level directly below a bit.

This may not pass the "visual" commitee-but is an idea to consider.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

John Oliphant2

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2015, 10:07:14 AM »

Well. I'm glad I asked before I ran with the concept, that's for certain. Thanks so much for your thoughtful analysis.

I also played with Direct a bit, and I can imagine those drums just humming with all that LF energy in the gazebo.

Two other options I have considered: subs under the grandstands, or shakers attached to them. Or, I may just have to go with what I've got already.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2015, 12:04:52 PM »

Well. I'm glad I asked before I ran with the concept, that's for certain. Thanks so much for your thoughtful analysis.

I also played with Direct a bit, and I can imagine those drums just humming with all that LF energy in the gazebo.

Two other options I have considered: subs under the grandstands, or shakers attached to them. Or, I may just have to go with what I've got already.
The subs under the stands may work out OK if you just want some bottom end spread around the venue a bit.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2015, 12:18:59 PM »

If you get subs to try under the stands, get something with pretty good low end extension and experiment with the crossover setting.  Using a lower frequency for the crossover will keep the sound localization to a minimum...meaning people won't be able to tell where the sound is coming from as well. 

I like this idea if providing more "impact" is desirable. 

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2015, 07:10:30 PM »

The big take away is that no matter what, there is going to be some form of trade off. Doing it right is costly and aesthetically probably won't pass. Doing it any other way will result in comb filtering. No two ways around it. Playing with the acoustic software will help nail down the likely shortcomings of any setup. Pick the one that works best in the space you have. Show the committee the options and projected results and ask them what they want to do?
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2015, 08:14:25 AM »

If you get subs to try under the stands, get something with pretty good low end extension and experiment with the crossover setting.  Using a lower frequency for the crossover will keep the sound localization to a minimum...meaning people won't be able to tell where the sound is coming from as well. 

I like this idea if providing more "impact" is desirable.
Corey makes a good point.
Low pass the subs under the stands so you can't really tell where the sound is coming from.
Your brain will "see" the drums and make the connection.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Mike Christy

• Southern Maine
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2015, 10:46:04 AM »

I have a couple of thoughts on this. I tried to install Danely Direct but it wanted to install Framework 4.0, Ive got enough crap on my PC... I digress..

When playing with the DD SW, does inverting the phase of even just one sub help, or turning one towards the center?

If the subs aren't driving really hard as John indicates, will they really cause problems at the source, they are some distance away, 12 feet to center? That's a good distance.

Does the direct sound from the already LOUDl drums have a cancellation affect on the sound coming from the subs at the center? Does the DD SW account for the source sound?

I'm thinking worse case, there is always one problem sub-ish freq that needs to be notched out, 90HZ, 110Hz, etc - why wouldn't putting the subs under the mains, notch that freq, and keep sub level moderate? The moderate sub level under the mains would probably be the same moderate sub level under the stands, the stands probably even lower - so you'd actually hear the save level.

Subs under the stands means 4 cables across walking paths.

Just thoughts,
Mike

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2015, 05:24:15 PM »

I ran s similar propagation to what you suggest, but the results were no better. At least not anymore usable than what has currently been brought to the table.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2015, 05:24:15 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 25 queries.