ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Bad habits  (Read 8271 times)

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
Re: Bad habits
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2015, 01:40:23 PM »

Since you're stuck in the crows nest, is there somebody on the ground you can "train" to place the mic in a better position for you?

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2015, 02:44:36 PM »

How about using a boom and positioning the mic in the middle of the podium. In the shot, that mic is too far away. Dicks suggestion is even better though you may have to buy a mic.

And too high and angled wrong unless you have a room full if pro basketball players. In this situation, I would never expect speakers to hold the mic-or for that matter even adjust it.  It is one thing to expect that out of a pastor or singer that is on the platform often-for occasional speakers the mic needs to be placed in the best possible location with respect to the lecturn.  Yes it will be a compromise and still be tough-but a mic pointed over their heads gives you no chance no matter how close they are.
Steve Swaffer

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2015, 02:55:27 PM »

And too high and angled wrong unless you have a room full if pro basketball players.

This is the usual line-up I get for lectern users:
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Michael Gorecki

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2015, 11:58:05 PM »

Dick do you have any suggestions for the mic that you're talking about? It'd be nice if we could utilize our current EK100 packs.

The pastor moved the mic last and he's 6'4"~. So everyone else was like the picture you posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2015, 08:17:34 AM »

Dick do you have any suggestions for the mic that you're talking about? It'd be nice if we could utilize our current EK100 packs.

The pastor moved the mic last and he's 6'4"~. So everyone else was like the picture you posted.

http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/ct/conference-technology/product-line/microphones/desktop-microphones/mpr-210-w-1.html

This is one idea, but anything you use to set up a large "acceptance area" will be subject to GBF issues depending on placement of the lectern.

I think the insurmountable problem is mic shyness induced by hearing themselves.  Not much you can do about that other than establishing some base line for all users and not having a large difference between proper and improper mic technique.

IOW, throttle back on the good, strong speakers to attempt to have the weaker ones not suffer so much by contrast.  Listeners will have a better shot at hearing everyone that way, but the remote mix position is not going to be very amenable to subtle, low-level reinforcement.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 08:38:10 AM by dick rees »
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2015, 10:01:09 AM »

For a service like this I use two mics.  One is a goose neck mic made to plug into a podium.  I mount it on a standard mic stand using a small mic clip and position it correctly over the center of the podium. You can do the same thing with a mic on a boom stand, I think my setup looks a bit better and may be less intimidating.   It is also easier for the talker to adjust.

For the people who won't adjust it or stand in the right spot I have a boundary mic on the podium.  I use a Crown PCC 160  It does an amazing job.

Another technique is to use the wireless handheld but no stand.  Have a person near by hand it to each talker.
Not to Code

Michael Gorecki

Bad habits
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2015, 12:45:35 PM »

The problem with the way this is set up is that they like to make it more intimate so they put the pulpit on the floor. This puts the pulpit about 2 feet out in front of the speakers.
Thanks for the tips dick. I'll try keeping the louder spears softer on the next one to see if that helps with the contrast at all.

Frank, I own an Audix MG12 that I will bring out to the next event as well.  I was never find of putting podium mics on a stand but I'll give it a shot.

Thanks for the info guys

Michael

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2015, 10:18:53 AM »

A simple AV housekeeping slide or a short intro from the moderator really helps direct people in the right direction.

Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

George Dougherty

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2015, 10:35:47 AM »

I sometimes have walked right up, taken the mic from them and checked it right in front of everyone so they can see there is plenty of volume if you speak into the mic.

In general, I would highly recommend against this.  The net result of this would be to publicly shame the speaker and make the engineer look proud and unloving.  Especially in the way you phrased it here, it makes the situation sound like that is your goal.  I may be wrong in assuming you're a Christian working in the church, so forgive me, but that strikes me as an un-Christian response.  Obviously, even the best of Christians has a bad and frustrating day and we respond in a non Christ-like manner, thank God for the grace and love we're granted on even those days, but I don't think it should be our first posture or even an action to be held up as appropriate behavior.
If you equated it to teaching your own child, it would be akin to walking up to them, taking a toy, showing them how to use it and asking them, "What are you, stupid?"  With adults we don't always need the words to get the same point.  If you did this to a speaker on a corporate gig, you'd probably have the mic shoved somewhere unpleasant and then be shown the door.  Common sense and courtesy would dictate we shouldn't treat others having less power over us any differently.

Jeff Carter's response is the correct one.  You train people to do differently where you can and accept things as they are and deal with it otherwise.

George Dougherty

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2015, 10:46:48 AM »

The problem with the way this is set up is that they like to make it more intimate so they put the pulpit on the floor. This puts the pulpit about 2 feet out in front of the speakers.
Thanks for the tips dick. I'll try keeping the louder spears softer on the next one to see if that helps with the contrast at all.

Frank, I own an Audix MG12 that I will bring out to the next event as well.  I was never find of putting podium mics on a stand but I'll give it a shot.

Thanks for the info guys

Michael

It would take modification of the podium but Shure, Sennheiser and I'm sure others make installed shockmount collars that allow inserting a gooseneck into the podium.  The cable then can run down in a concealed manner, or you could go with something like the SKP500 if you wanted wireless that supports phantom powered mics.
A single cardioid gooseneck in the middle often works well.  Gets it up over anything placed on the podium between the speaker and the mic as well as closer the their mouth in general.  A boundary mic on that small of a podium seems like it'd be a challenge.  Additional advantage over a mic on a stand is that it tends to be more static.  You can ring it out beforehand and get your best GBF without worrying that different locations may have different response nodes out in front of the mains.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2015, 10:46:48 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 25 queries.