ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: I need to find my drum kit...quick  (Read 6813 times)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: I need to find my drum kit...quick
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2015, 03:34:01 AM »

My father used to play with one stick held like that and the other in the 'normal' way.  I don't know which way round they were.

I think it's a method used by drummers in marching bands.

EDIT: Apparently, it's called 'traditional grip'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traditional_grip

EDIT AGAIN: I have just watched a video of a drum playing friend and he does the same thing.

Steve.
Yeah I took 2 years of drum lessons under the late great Sunny Mange (I have no idea who he was.  Just a dude that taught drums and reeked of cigarettes in his home studio.  He had an old bill from a show in the 50's showed him and Jean Cruppa (sp?) Playing together).   I was the ripe old age of 10.  I was taught the traditional grip and Putin hours on the practice pads with it.  I have no idea why my parents thought I wanted to learn to play the drums and did not hide my disappointment at the vistalites I got for xmas. 

I wanted a VFO for my amateur radio and I think it scared the shit out of them to buy a 400 Heathkit for a 10 year old.  I already had my novice and was working on my code to pass the general.  At the time the youngest general was 13 and I so much wanted to pass before I was 12.  Had two phenomenal mentors.

I sure this is meaningless old fart drivel to most of you but I am sure that's few can relate.

To reiterate on the original original topic the traditional grip was still being taught in the late 60's early 70's
The "traditional" grip is how most drummers learned prior to the late 60's early 70's when the grip you often see today came around. I still play with a traditional grip.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2015, 03:43:51 AM »

I wanted a VFO for my amateur radio and I think it scared the shit out of them to buy a 400 Heathkit for a 10 year old.  I already had my novice and was working on my code to pass the general.  At the time the youngest general was 13 and I so much wanted to pass before I was 12.  Had two phenomenal mentors.

I sure this is meaningless old fart drivel to most of you but I am sure that's few can relate.

I passed the exams to get an amateuer radio licence many years ago but didn't get round to actually applying for a licence.  When my grandfather died a few years ago, I wanted to take over his call sign but unfortunately the examining authority couldn't find any records of me passing the test (I had lost the certificates a long time ago).

Steve.

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2015, 05:21:20 AM »

That's too bad Steve

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

David Morison

• SR Forums
  • Aberdeen, Scotland
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2015, 08:08:20 AM »

He had an old bill from a show in the 50's showed him and Jean Cruppa (sp?) Playing together).   

Gene Krupa, definitely one of the greats in drumming.

My father used to play with one stick held like that and the other in the 'normal' way.  I don't know which way round they were.

I think it's a method used by drummers in marching bands.

As to the image, I think what's "wrong" with the picture is that the drummer is using the same grip in both hands: normally with traditional grip it's only the left had that adopts the underhand position, the right usually keeps the "normal" overhand position as you recall.

Prior to the invention of modern drum carriers, to march with a drum it had to be hung on a simple strap which means it would foul the players legs if held centrally, therefore they were slung at the left side. That forces the change in the left hand grip, as to achieve an overhand grip with the drum at their side would require the arm to be held up an an uncomfortable angle.

FWIW,
David.

Tom Roche

• Behind the Zion Curtain
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2015, 03:47:44 PM »

Yeah I took 2 years of drum lessons under the late great Sunny Mange (I have no idea who he was.  Just a dude that taught drums and reeked of cigarettes in his home studio.  He had an old bill from a show in the 50's showed him and Jean Cruppa (sp?) Playing together).
Sunny Mange?  Could it be Shelly Manne?

I was taught the traditional grip and Putin hours on the practice pads with it.  I have no idea why my parents thought I wanted to learn to play the drums and did not hide my disappointment at the vistalites I got for xmas.
Wow, your parents bought you nice drums.  I presume you no longer have them.

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2015, 08:20:28 PM »

Sunny Mange?  Could it be Shelly Manne?
Wow, your parents bought you nice drums.  I presume you no longer have them.

Yeah they did, Not sure what they cost in 1974 but they should not have, we were comfortable by no means wealthy.  Never really asked if Dad wanted them too or if the music store guy owed Dad money. 

Not Shelly Manne, I read his bio and it didn't mentioned being washed up in North Miami in the 70's giving drum lessons to snot nose little punks. 

I wish I still had the vistalites.  I think I traded them for a 4 bolt main Chevrolet small block short block in high school.  That was a long time ago!

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2015, 09:19:38 PM »

Some people just need an instrument they can hit and kick....

That's what mine are for - saves the ole' man's shins!!

I sound just like Dave Grohl when I play the drums - when he has tripped and fallen over them !
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2015, 08:40:50 PM »

I love the line "Professional musicians can earn several dollars playing the drums.

Not lots of money-just several dollars.

Sounds about right----------------

Overheard on my gig last Saturday night:

"A professional musician is someone who will load $5000 worth of gear into a $500 car, and drive 100 miles for a $50 gig."

GTD

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2015, 08:40:50 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 22 queries.