ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Bridge Question  (Read 9630 times)

Steve Loewenthal

Re: Bridge Question
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2015, 09:17:08 PM »

to the op: you got your answer (yes) plus some details on why. just curious, what were you hoping to get: simple answer, details equations and more, or maybe some beer for fishing :)
Steve Loewenthal

"I'm, just the guy in a band that owns the PA and I'm trying to figure out how it works. (Been trying to learn somethin' about it for about 20 years and I hope somethin' learns me soon)"

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2015, 12:46:31 AM »

I ha e to say that in the shallow waters of the business that I swim in nobody understands basic electronics.  The skill is very undervalued.  The lack of understanding of how it works translates into scattered troubleshooting.

To me it is far easier to understand how it works than memorize how to hook up each system.  The concept has served me well my whole life across many technical disciplines.

I tried and tried to teach to my guys but they just don't get it.  The best audio engineer (as far as mix quality and ability to make customers and performers happy)  probably could not get a biamp rig setup.

For this reason we went all powered.   Only myself and another owner sets up the passive gear.

Ivan's  teach a man to fish is spot on.  Problem is most people want the fishmonger to we'll his cart to the door and Gordon Ramsey prepare it for him.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2015, 02:38:01 AM »

Doesn't it go something like this?:  Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Teach him to fish and he will waste his life drinking beer sitting on a boat-------------

There is a Scott Adams/Dilbert version:

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Teach a man to fish and he will buy an ugly hat.

Steve.

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2015, 04:12:43 AM »

i gotta go eat some catfish and hush puppies now. has anyone seen that confounded bridge ?

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2015, 07:40:01 AM »

i gotta go eat some catfish and hush puppies now. has anyone seen that confounded bridge ?
Just chant OHMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM  :)
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2015, 07:42:55 AM »

I ha e to say that in the shallow waters of the business that I swim in nobody understands basic electronics.  The skill is very undervalued.  The lack of understanding of how it works translates into scattered troubleshooting.

To me it is far easier to understand how it works than memorize how to hook up each system.  The concept has served me well my whole life across many technical disciplines.

I tried and tried to teach to my guys but they just don't get it.  The best audio engineer (as far as mix quality and ability to make customers and performers happy)  probably could not get a biamp rig setup.

For this reason we went all powered.   Only myself and another owner sets up the passive gear.

Ivan's  teach a man to fish is spot on.  Problem is most people want the fishmonger to we'll his cart to the door and Gordon Ramsey prepare it for him.
It is truly sad how little people understand about how things THAT ARE IMPORTANT TO THEM work.

They want somebody else to do the work-the quick answer (without asking a proper question) and so forth.

It is no wonder there is sooooooo much bad sound these days.

In years past you HAD to know how the gear worked to get  it to make sound.

It is also sad that anybody who can hook gear up and make sound come out is considered "an expert".

On the good side-this just leaves more work for the people that DO understand the basics :)
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Robert Piascik

• Westerville, OH (near Columbus)
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2015, 08:40:06 AM »

I can't agree more with this comment. I hire a lot of college or just out of college guys who are getting their degrees in music tech and I get TEN guys who say "I can mix" for every ONE guy who wants to set up when what I need is the opposite. Oh, and they all think they're worth $25/hr and want to show up at gig time and walk out when the band is done.
Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2015, 02:13:05 PM »

At times I get calls from guys I know that want to know about bridging, impedance, and other stuff. The other night I spent an hour on the fone explaining to a musician I'v known for 40 years what an insert cable is and how to use it to connect an outboard delay to an insert jack in his home studio board. I always tell people to do like me and get books on electronics and study them. I never did get my catfish dinner. meow !

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2015, 02:32:55 PM »

At times I get calls from guys I know that want to know about bridging, impedance, and other stuff. The other night I spent an hour on the fone explaining to a musician I'v known for 40 years what an insert cable is and how to use it to connect an outboard delay to an insert jack in his home studio board. I always tell people to do like me and get books on electronics and study them. I never did get my catfish dinner. meow !

Hmmm... Jeff, then why are there whiskers stuck in your teeth? /nudge, wink
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2015, 10:55:41 PM »

Hmmm... Jeff, then why are there whiskers stuck in your teeth? /nudge, wink
Oh man ! I forgot to floss !

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2015, 10:55:41 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 25 queries.