ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mic usage  (Read 3603 times)

Nathan Vanderslice

Mic usage
« on: March 26, 2015, 02:13:25 AM »

Hey all, I was just curious about something. I bought a SHURE PGDMK4 kit a while back, and don't need it anymore for drums (never actually used them), and was wondering if they are good for anything else? Vocals or instrument mics? Cab/amp mic? Also, I have 2 AKG mics, C3000 and C3000 B. I know that they are for studio use, but has anyone used them for live work? Last but not least an AKG D 3400. Opinions on usefulness? Thanks.

Thomas Le

Re: Mic usage
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 08:18:53 AM »

PG56/57 is mirrored as a cheap SM57 or beta 56/57 so you'll find it on guitar cabs in a pinch, like wise on the PG52 which is a cheap Beta52, probably for bass cabs. I've used the c3000 for piano and OH and it works okay, not that great compared to the c214 which is a step up, probably because of the grille/capsule design. No opinion on d3400.

David Parker

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 08:39:53 AM »

Hey all, I was just curious about something. I bought a SHURE PGDMK4 kit a while back, and don't need it anymore for drums (never actually used them), and was wondering if they are good for anything else? Vocals or instrument mics? Cab/amp mic? Also, I have 2 AKG mics, C3000 and C3000 B. I know that they are for studio use, but has anyone used them for live work? Last but not least an AKG D 3400. Opinions on usefulness? Thanks.
I have a very compact setup I use singing in nursing homes. I use a Nady tom mic on the end of a long gooseneck attached to my music stand. A normal vocal mic was too heavy for the gooseneck. It sounds really good. I previously used a Sennheiser tom mic in the same setup, but it was a little bassy for my taste. Give the Shure's a try on whatever, they likely will work well on guitar cabs and just might be fine on vocals and most likely would work well for micing horns.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 07:01:56 AM »

was wondering if they are good for anything else?

Give them to your kids to play with ?

I am not a mic snob but the little mics that come with that kit are beyond awful.  The kick mic only sounds good when not plugged in.

Seriously it is that bad.  Since the price of that kit is not much more that a decent kick mic that should have been my first clue.

I bought one and learned the hard way.  I now use Beta 56 Snare - Sennheiser 604's for rack toms 904 for floor tom.  Kick drum is either an Audix  D6 or Beta 52 - HH or overheads are Beta 81 thinking of checking out a Heil.

In rental we have some Audix fusion kits.  A shure kit with a Beta 92, and SM57's and I also have three Beta 98's.  We don't do big shows and those mics have always done me well.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Nathan Vanderslice

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 10:50:12 PM »

I was inquiring more because I was hoping to "repurpose" them. I bought them a while back and then never got to use them. I was over at the church tonight with the guitar player from the Una church, and did a little experimenting with different mics. We tried a direct out from his guitar, and from his amp (separate head) but he preferred to mic his amp. We tried the following mics:

AKG 3400, 535, C3000

Shure PG56

The 3400 wasn't too bad, but neither was the 535. What surprised me was an "a-b" test of the C3000 and the PG56. Mind you that the amp was down just about to it's lowest level. I kind of liked the brighter sound from the C3000, but I got that with the PG56 and the sound was a lot clearer. What I didn't try, and just thought of now, was that the 3000 may have been too close to the speaker. Either that, or try the pad on the mic. This is I believe one of the original 2 capsule C3000's which I bought well before 2012 used, so I doubt it's the newer single capsule C3000 released in 2012.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 10:52:52 PM by Nathan Vanderslice »

Nathan Vanderslice

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 10:55:27 PM »

Sorry, the previous post wouldn't put up both pictures. Total was only ~ 12 kb.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 10:55:27 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.