ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Small business insurance  (Read 5661 times)

Nate Howell

Small business insurance
« on: March 23, 2015, 11:16:36 AM »

Need some help here.
Recently made my business official, and I need to get some insurance.

Need to cover equipment, for both loss / damage, and for rental purposes.
I would also like to be covered in case someone gets sue-happy when I work an event.
I would need about $50-75k for equipment coverage.

Who do you use?
What do you pay per year?
Any suggestions? Advice?

Thanks Much!

Nate

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
Re: Small business insurance
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 11:35:05 AM »

I would also like to be covered in case someone gets sue-happy when I work an event.

Who do you use?
Any suggestions? Advice?

Make sure your agent "gets" our business.

From recommendations made here and on other sites, I went with Paul Lopez and Snapp Associates; they're in San Diego, but everything can be done over the phone/email anyways... :)

The process was quick, easy and smooth. I liabilitied myself to $2M, gear coverage up to $200K.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Scott Slater

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 08:37:28 AM »

I use Music Pro ( https://www.musicproinsurance.com ) and have been with them for 8 years now.  $50K equipment is about $500/yr with them.  I have only the equipment insured for damage, loss.

-Scott

John Rutirasiri

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 04:24:42 PM »

Need some help here.

Who do you use?
Any suggestions? Advice?

Thanks Much!

Nate

You'll need minimum $1M general liability (most hotels and bigger venues now require $2M) and inland marine coverage for transporting equipment.  Depending on how many gigs you expect in a year, you can do it on a per-show basis (ranges from $150 - $300) or annual policy (expect to pay $2500 and up.) 

Don't forget worker's comp for your helpers and subcontractors (you as owner or a company director can be excluded.)

Add insurance for your vehicle/truck.  Remember that your existing auto policy may not cover commercial use.

For dry rental, your deductible will most likely be too high to claim small losses and damages if you want to keep the premium reasonable.  You can do a deposit for small rentals, and for bigger rentals, have the renter provide COI naming your company as named-insured or certificate holder.  Then it won't cost you an arm and a leg.

Best,
JR
ClearImpact Sound & Event Services, Inc.
Sound/Lighting/Corporate A/V

"If it ain't broke, make it better."

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 12:41:02 AM »

You'll need minimum $1M general liability (most hotels and bigger venues now require $2M) and inland marine coverage for transporting equipment.  Depending on how many gigs you expect in a year, you can do it on a per-show basis (ranges from $150 - $300) or annual policy (expect to pay $2500 and up.) 

Don't forget worker's comp for your helpers and subcontractors (you as owner or a company director can be excluded.)

Add insurance for your vehicle/truck.  Remember that your existing auto policy may not cover commercial use.

For dry rental, your deductible will most likely be too high to claim small losses and damages if you want to keep the premium reasonable.  You can do a deposit for small rentals, and for bigger rentals, have the renter provide COI naming your company as named-insured or certificate holder.  Then it won't cost you an arm and a leg.

Best,
JR

Good advice John, we also found adding a "bailee" insurance policy that covers you when you are in the care, custody and control of another parties equipment is very inexpensive and adds tremendous peace of mind.  Also look at employee owned vehicle coverage and non-owner (kinda like renters insurance) for your work premise if you don't own it. 

If you work out of your residence primarily as I do, don't count on your homeowners to do squat.  Also I try and perform most hazardous activities so for a variety of reasons I carry a personal umbrella policy that is in tune with my net worth.  If you have equity in your home, investments or other easily attached assets it's another layer of reasonable protection.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 07:06:56 AM »

I use Music Pro ( https://www.musicproinsurance.com ) and have been with them for 8 years now.  $50K equipment is about $500/yr with them.  I have only the equipment insured for damage, loss.

-Scott

I use Music Pro as well for equipment and this company for liabilty. I have a $3M policy for only a couple hundred dollars a year.

https://www.specialtyinsuranceagency.com/
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

claude cascioli

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 05:51:59 PM »

Need some help here.

Who do you use?
Any suggestions? Advice?

Thanks Much!

Nate
i use selective there a great comapany
you should get workers comp auto and trucks and at least 1 million liability
i am in new jersey
i deal with nelson and ward in springfield new jersey they know a lot about the industry and have a lot of production company's in the new york metro area
they cover
call jim egan at 973 379 7270 ext 19   

Mal Brown

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2020, 08:18:27 PM »

I use Music Pro for my instruments.  I used to have all my gear there.  I now have inland marine with Liberty Mutual, 60k around $500/yr.  general Liability of 1m also around $500 / yr.  My truck is about $90 a month.
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2020, 01:21:49 AM »

woow 1M is very expensive

It's pretty cheap when someone trips on your poorly ballasted light stands and fracturers their leg.  1M is about $1200 bucks a year.  You think that is expensive?

If you pay as much attention to your shows as you do our community rules when you signed up I am have no doubt you need insurance.  Did you not see all the notices that you must use your real name to participate in these forums? 

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber