ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wireless Mic Replacement! UPDATE:  (Read 2868 times)

Rob Swain

Wireless Mic Replacement! UPDATE:
« on: March 15, 2015, 04:28:47 PM »

Hello, looks like our Church would like to add a couple of extra Wireless Mics. We have (2) Audio Technica  ATW-2120a units now and they seem to work well for their purpose, so they are thinking 2 more of the same. We also have a Shure PGXD24/ PGXD1 unit, but we had some problems with it, and I am pretty sure its the PGXD1 transmitter, we were getting the occasional "Popping" sound during the service. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to purchase a handheld  PGXD2 / SM86 transmitter to match up with the PGXD24 and then just one  of the ATW-2120a units. Our cost for the PGXD2/SM86 is $380.00 and the ATW-2120a is $450.00 CDN. I guess my only fear would be that the  problem could have been with the PGXD24 receiver, I don't really have  any place close to have it tested. Whats your thoughts?? :-\
Rob

UPDATE:
I took the PGXD1 transmitter apart this afternoon just out of curiosity, I found a gold colored flake sitting on a couple of contacts. I will put the unit back into service and see what happens!
Rob
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 04:32:06 PM by Rob Swain »

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
Re: Wireless Mic Replacement!
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 08:17:27 PM »

Hello, looks like our Church would like to add a couple of extra Wireless Mics. We have (2) Audio Technica  ATW-2120a units now and they seem to work well for their purpose, so they are thinking 2 more of the same. We also have a Shure PGXD24/ PGXD1 unit, but we had some problems with it, and I am pretty sure its the PGXD1 transmitter, we were getting the occasional "Popping" sound during the service. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to purchase a handheld  PGXD2 / SM86 transmitter to match up with the PGXD24 and then just one  of the ATW-2120a units. Our cost for the PGXD2/SM86 is $380.00 and the ATW-2120a is $450.00 CDN. I guess my only fear would be that the  problem could have been with the PGXD24 receiver, I don't really have  any place close to have it tested. Whats your thoughts?? :-\
Rob

Until you figure out what caused the popping sound you may well be simply throwing your money away. 
Have you:
Used the receiver on another input to see if the popping follows the mic?
Had someone listen to the mic receiver directly on headphones to see if the popping is coming in from the mic or is getting in after the console input?
Changed cabling between the mic receiver and the console to see if this eliminates the popping?
Confirmed if phantom power is turned off on the channel the wireless is connected to (shouldn't cause the issue but I have seen it be a problem occasionally)?
Checked to see if people using the wireless don't have cell phones on their person or that they are turned off (not muted, OFF)?

There are many other test steps

Until determining what is causing the problem you are just guessing and throwing hundreds of dollars at wishful thinking.

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Wireless Mic Replacement!
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 08:17:27 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 21 queries.