ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Wifi extender set-up simple enough for a non wifi expert???  (Read 22957 times)

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
Re: Wifi extender set-up simple enough for a non wifi expert???
« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2015, 04:16:31 AM »

From what I've read, the only WiFi channel scanning app that Apple allows for iOS is the Apple Airport Utility.  Here's how it works:

From the X Air forum (edited for brevity and clarity 03/19/2015).

1. Download the AirPort utility via Appstore.  (Never mind whether you have an AirPort.)
2. Go to iOS settings and open the settings for Airport utility (it's way down the list).
3. Turn WiFi scanner On.
4. Open Airport utility.
5. Tap Wi-Fi Scan, then tap Scan.
6. Wait 20 seconds or so, then tap Stop.
7. Tap on the "i" button.
8. Now you can see the most busy and least busy WiFi channels.
9. Pick a channel, and set your router to that channel.
10. Or not:  See http://www.metageek.com/support/why-channels-1-6-and-11/

What I don't know is how to tell if you are scanning 2.4 or 5GHz (or how to tell which the phone is connected to at any given time).

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #61 on: March 28, 2015, 05:06:39 PM »

Last night's show…….
So I had gotten some latency problems at this venue before - not as bad with the sound - more within the art net DMX.
We did have one occasion where the QU-PAD app lost connection but I kept getting that latency problem occur with the lights….so this time, as it took a while to get the crowd in, I had some space to move around earlier in the evening, so I moved around to different spots whilst checking out my control over the lights.
I found that the drop out or latency happened at a certain angle to the router, regardless whether there was anything or anyone in the way.
Well one thing I had not considered when this happened previously, was that the router is positioned on a shelf in my mixer rack behind and to one side of my Senny iem transmitters. When I stood with the transmitters between me and the router, everything was fine but when I stood with the 2 antennas  between me and router - drop out.

i went over to the rack which was on the stage and turned it toward the stage by a good 45 degrees which changed the angle to the router for my preferred mix position and VOILA…it worked fine.

So, it seems that was the problem - or at least part of it. I have decided to also use an old music stand that I own which extends quite tall and I will place the router on it nice and high and stand it next to my rack. I am hoping this will cure 99% of my problems. I am out again this evening so I'll check it out.

One more thing, I asked the band members to turn off their cell phones just as a precaution also - unsure if this would have made any difference as I had already turned the rack around by the time I remembered to tell them - during the break !!
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #62 on: March 28, 2015, 05:33:00 PM »

So, as you see, the position in the rack makes the radio for the wifi directional.

Is the music stand metal? Caution if so.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #63 on: March 29, 2015, 03:21:19 AM »

The metal shelf effects the pattern of the antenna as Rob pointed out.  To add to what he said about the stand simply put an 8" or longer non metallic extension.  I would attach it to the stand with a hose clamp them tape or zip tie the wireless device to the extension.

A length of PVC would do nicely and would be easy to paint.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #64 on: March 29, 2015, 03:35:39 PM »

I have a question concerning the metal music stand.
The router has been sitting on a metal shelf surrounded by metal in the rack but this did not seem to cause any problems for me. It seems since my experimenting at that show on friday night that when I do get drop out, it is due to my line of sight being blocked by the iem transmitters and antennas.
If the router now sits on a metal music stand for height, why would this cause any problems if it is metal?
Also, could I not just make sure that the metal support plate is behind the router just like you would see if used for sheet music and not off to one side blocking the antenna???

I just set it up this way and got all my cables suited to a quick set-up, updated my  QU firmware to v1.7 and everything worked nicely. Should I still be concerned ?

BTW…. (close your ears Mark - The QU v1.7 firmware is very nice).
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Rob Spence

• Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #65 on: March 29, 2015, 03:55:11 PM »

I have a question concerning the metal music stand.
The router has been sitting on a metal shelf surrounded by metal in the rack but this did not seem to cause any problems for me. It seems since my experimenting at that show on friday night that when I do get drop out, it is due to my line of sight being blocked by the iem transmitters and antennas.
If the router now sits on a metal music stand for height, why would this cause any problems if it is metal?
Also, could I not just make sure that the metal support plate is behind the router just like you would see if used for sheet music and not off to one side blocking the antenna???

I just set it up this way and got all my cables suited to a quick set-up, updated my  QU firmware to v1.7 and everything worked nicely. Should I still be concerned ?

BTW…. (close your ears Mark - The QU v1.7 firmware is very nice).

The antenna on most wireless gear is designed to work to spec when unimpeded by other external material. Wood and plastic have minimal effect but metal can attenuate, cause nulls and lobes (kinda like speakers and walls). Putting the router/ap on a metal plate may cause the signal to lobe more upward making less available horizontally.
The shelf mounting has the added metal of the rack rails, case extrusions and corner protectors. Each of these will do something to distort the signal pattern. Proximity to other transmitters (iems, for example) can also cause problems.

What I did when I need good reliable range is to buy a mic stand adapter that I installed on a wood base that holds my router securely. This puts it above head height (just like you would do with paddles) and provides an unobstructed view from wherever I need to be.

I used this
http://audiopile.net/DE-019
with an appropriate tee nut and some thread locker.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 03:58:46 PM by Rob Spence »

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #66 on: March 29, 2015, 04:05:30 PM »

The antenna on most wireless gear is designed to work to spec when unimpeded by other external material. Wood and plastic have minimal effect but metal can attenuate, cause nulls and lobes (kinda like speakers and walls). Putting the router/ap on a metal plate may cause the signal to lobe more upward making less available horizontally.
The shelf mounting has the added metal of the rack rails, case extrusions and corner protectors. Each of these will do something to distort the signal pattern. Proximity to other transmitters (iems, for example) can also cause problems.

What I did when I need good reliable range is to buy a mic stand adapter that I installed on a wood base that holds my router securely. This puts it above head height (just like you would do with paddles) and provides an unobstructed view from wherever I need to be.

I used this
http://audiopile.net/DE-019
with an appropriate tee nut and some thread locker.

Nice little mod there Rob…
Scott had suggested getting the router even further away from the metal stand by about 8" - but you have yours only separated by a piece of wood and have had no problems??

Rob Spence

• Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #67 on: March 29, 2015, 04:26:37 PM »

Nice little mod there Rob…
Scott had suggested getting the router even further away from the metal stand by about 8" - but you have yours only separated by a piece of wood and have had no problems??

I can't speak for Scott, but I was imagining you using a metal music stand (I thought I remembered you say that) as a raised table with your router sitting on the metal. Mine is a wood table 4"x6" on a mic boom stand.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #68 on: March 30, 2015, 05:37:16 AM »

The 8 inches is several wave lengths away.  Anything metal in the near field will distort the pattern and  you will have, loving in the pattern.  Works just like a speaker...same math and physics.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #69 on: March 30, 2015, 12:37:17 PM »

So the further away the better....?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #69 on: March 30, 2015, 12:37:17 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 20 queries.