ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Monitor upgrade ideas?  (Read 11181 times)

David Hayes

Re: Monitor upgrade ideas?
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2015, 09:58:05 PM »

Unfortunately they're not a speaker that you can hear at your local music shop. If they were I think they would sell a lot more.
For my show, volume is not the issue. It's more about what you hear. I run them flat with hipass. No feedback other than compliments.

I'm sure they're top notch. Most Danley stuff is.  Most Danley stuff is also priced out of range for 99% of consumers.  They really are marketed exclusively for pro sound companies.  These particular boxes probably aren't going to cut it for 99% of modern bands.  Especially rock bands.

For the record, I never get feedback either.  I would be curious to hear what your thoughts are on the DSRs.  You should check them out and tell us what you think.  I know everyone at my level in the live sound food chain love the hell out of them, but I would very much like to hear what the big guys think of them.

John L Nobile

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2015, 10:19:32 PM »

I'm sure they're top notch. Most Danley stuff is.  Most Danley stuff is also priced out of range for 99% of consumers.  They really are marketed exclusively for pro sound companies.  These particular boxes probably aren't going to cut it for 99% of modern bands.  Especially rock bands.

For the record, I never get feedback either.  I would be curious to hear what your thoughts are on the DSRs.  You should check them out and tell us what you think.  I know everyone at my level in the live sound food chain love the hell out of them, but I would very much like to hear what the big guys think of them.

The DSR's are definitely on my radar. I hope to hear them one day. I'd also like to hear the turbo Milan series. They're half the price.
I wasn't questioning your ability to run monitors without feedback. I was just pointing out that these were the first monitors I've ever been able to run flat. I had 5 minutes to eq them when we first got them and when I was done, I had 4 minutes to spare.

David Hayes

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2015, 10:23:20 PM »

The DSR's are definitely on my radar. I hope to hear them one day. I'd also like to hear the turbo Milan series. They're half the price.
I wasn't questioning your ability to run monitors without feedback. I was just pointing out that these were the first monitors I've ever been able to run flat. I had 5 minutes to eq them when we first got them and when I was done, I had 4 minutes to spare.

I wouldn't bother with the Turbosound boxes.  In that price range I'd look at EVs or even Altos.

Michael Thompson

• Factor Audio
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2015, 10:35:23 PM »

I'll chime in on that...I own DSR112's.  I remain very impressed by their sound quality to price ratio.  They get a lot of use at my shop.  In my opinion, tonally they are fairly competitive with high end touring cabs, but they don't stand a chance at actually keeping up with those cabs at high volumes.  The horns really fall short compared to the touring stuff.  Pretty ugly sounding when you push them...

David Hayes

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2015, 06:25:49 AM »

I'll chime in on that...I own DSR112's.  I remain very impressed by their sound quality to price ratio.  They get a lot of use at my shop.  In my opinion, tonally they are fairly competitive with high end touring cabs, but they don't stand a chance at actually keeping up with those cabs at high volumes.  The horns really fall short compared to the touring stuff.  Pretty ugly sounding when you push them...

You would have to prove to me that the Danleys with the 8" driver could even get to comparable volume levels first off and I have pushed these cabs plenty hard and from my regular old club band sound guy POV, they sounded damn nice.

John L Nobile

« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2015, 09:21:11 AM »

You would have to prove to me that the Danleys with the 8" driver could even get to comparable volume levels first off and I have pushed these cabs plenty hard and from my regular old club band sound guy POV, they sounded damn nice.

Can't prove it and I'm not saying it though it would be interesting to put them side by each in a monitor application. Volume is only one aspect of a speaker but sometimes it's the most important. Sometimes not. I only have to get loud enough not full tilt and I have power to spare.
All that really matters is that we're both happy with our speakers

John L Nobile

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2015, 11:58:38 AM »

I've been thinking and realized that my monitor needs are probably different from others. The horn/frontloaded 12 or 15 never really worked for us. If you're standing in one spot you can aim the sweet spot at the performer. But as you move from side to side or back, the hi end starts to disappear. Our performers move and dance all over so I needed something that gave a consistent pattern all over. Stage is 28' x 20' and I have 2 SM LPM's downstage at the corners and 2 SM80's at midpoint for sidewash. The guitar/bass have their own and they can move around on their risors without any changes to their sound.
The sound is very even and clear everywhere on stage and that's never happened before. I've rented a lot of hi end boxes over the years and they all sounded good when you stood in front of them but changed as you moved away. And I don't have to angle the boxes up with a 2x4. Best part is that I don't need 4 boxes across the front which blocked their feet. Looks and sounds much better.
I realized what I wanted to achieve and the Danley boxes did the job better than anything else we've used. Volume has never been an issue. Coverage and clarity has. We all have different challenges and just need to identify them and find the right gear that works.

Peter Kowalczyk

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2015, 09:06:08 PM »

We use DSR112s for both mains and monitor duty, and I'll echo the rest to say that for my level of gigs, they've been great.  We just bought another pair.

A few things to consider about them for monitor duty, however:
- The pentagonal box shape only allows for wedge placement in one orientation, so you can't 'mirror' them or else the amp and cable connections would be on the ground (if it were critical to do so, you could probably elevate them on a pair of wood blocks to allow for cable radius and airflow). 
- There are no 'feet' to keep the cabinet off the ground in wedge mode either, which could cause the finish to get scratched up more quickly, or make them prone to sliding around on a smooth floor. 
- The 60 x 90 nominal horn means that the pattern is narrow(er) in the horizontal plane when used as a wedge.  If your performers don't move much, or only really move upstage/downstage rather than side-to-side, it might not be an issue.  But if you're looking for a wide horizontal pattern like Mr. Nobile described, then a box with a rotatable horn might be better.

John L Nobile

« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2015, 12:36:00 AM »

- The 60 x 90 nominal horn means that the pattern is narrow(er) in the horizontal plane when used as a wedge.  If your performers don't move much, or only really move upstage/downstage rather than side-to-side, it might not be an issue.  But if you're looking for a wide horizontal pattern like Mr. Nobile described, then a box with a rotatable horn might be better.

But then you lose highs as you move upstage. The Danleys are 110 degrees conical. Got all angles covered.  Different tools for different jobs.

Simon Ryder

• Audio Engineer LTD
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2015, 11:43:34 AM »

I'm looking to upgrade my monitors soon probably to something active. I want a versatile box that can be used as a main in an SOS system (with or without a sub). I've seen a lot of love here recently for Yamaha DSR112 or how about JBL SRX 712? Certainly I want to stay under $1K per box. I currently have 12 EAW LA215 and I like them but they're big and heavy (80 lbs) so I shy away from putting them on a tripod. What are some other good options?

We have just ordered 12 of the passive versions of these:
http://www.dasaudio.com/en/p/action-m12a-2/

The powered boxes were superb but we decided that these would be more versatile in our rental inventory as passive due to rain issues. Weatherproof powered boxes come at a much higher price generally. They sound great and look good as a speaker on stick too.

They have replaced JBL MRX 512ms and Turbosound TXD 12Ms in our rental stock. The cheaper DAS boxes go louder, have a cleaner mid range, a more open treble and more low end - in fact they outperform their two predecessors in every way.

Find a dealer and give them a try, they may well surprise you. I would be interested to hear from anyone who auditions them against the Yamahas, we tried them against the QSC K12 and preferred the DAS offering.
Rental Stockist of:
D&B Audiotechnik
DAS Audio
Soundcraft
Midas
Shure
Sennheiser
DPA

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2015, 11:43:34 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 25 queries.