ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Replacement mixer advice  (Read 5632 times)

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
Re: Replacement mixer advice
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2015, 12:28:47 PM »

I've decided we're going to start small and not overspend...

When you "start small", try to look for gear that can integrate into an expanded system, repurposed to other uses, or that can easily be resold when it no longer meets your needs. Otherwise it needs to be so inexpensive you can afford to throw it away, and if it's that cheap it will probably never perform to your satisfaction. My gut feeling -- based on anecdotal rather than empirical evidence -- is that analog gear will hold resale value better than digital gear.

Don't assume that this will be your last purchase for a while. Instead, be looking to the future, toward what your needs will be in a year or two or five. Figure out how much it will cost to fulfill those needs. Then start saving: with a plan for budgeted saving (saving X amount every month), you will have the funds you need when it's time to buy. Let your congregation know what your plan is; when they know where the money is going they are more likely to support the cause.

It requires more patience to build the money according to the plan than to build the plan according to the money, but the results are usually superior.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Darren Aitcheson

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2015, 05:35:33 PM »

Just a quick update for you all.

Gary Fitzpatrick (above!) came and did an excellent job installing a new analog snake for us - so good in fact that I'm now waiting for him to do our Church Hall once Soundcraft actually get around to shipping some Ui 16's to distributors.  :)

We ended up getting an absolutely fantastic deal on the Expression 3 - virtually the same price as everywhere else was selling the Exp 2 for. Although admittedly Soundcraft then brought the Impact a week later! It got its first use in our service yesterday morning and went pretty smoothly apart from our mix out to the live stream distorting horribly (my fault!). One of my 12 year-old volunteers (really) said she couldn't sleep the night before as she was so excited about getting to use it.

Bought a few cheap wired headphone amps from Thomann so that the band can get used to having IEMs - they've made a huge difference to the band's togetherness already, and they're loving the idea of being able to control their own mixes wirelessly; although I won't let them loose until Soundcraft releases their new monitor app.

Thanks to everyone on here for the advice - the new gear has already made a huge difference, and once we learn to use the Exp 3 properly, hopefully none of the congregation will notice it's even there.

Can't wait to see what we can do with the Ui 16 in the Church Hall also - hurry up Gary.  :P

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2015, 05:35:33 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 24 queries.