ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Hammond AO-35 conversion tone stacks  (Read 17828 times)

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
Re: Hammond AO-35 conversion tone stacks
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2015, 06:28:36 PM »

No.

Stop thinking that.

You can never have too many toys.

Now, the real question is how often you play with them...

We'll I'm putting a little band together just so that I CAN play with them. And we're setting up a few open-mic sessions this summer so that OTHER musicians can play with them as well. I think it's a great opportunity to show just how much fun this old-school gear can be. 

BTW: I now have the local Maker's Mark distributor as my official bourbon sponsor for these open mic sessions. This is gonna be fun.  ;D

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2015, 06:46:18 PM »

I also have a matched pair of Dynaco MKIII tube hi-fi amps that were factory built and in beautiful condition. I plan to restore those to factory specs without any crazy mods. I used to use them in my studio, but one power supply cap went a little nuts so I put them on the shelf. I won't get to them until next year at this rate, but that would be another fun restoration project.

Mike, what is your street address, when do you go on vacation and what kind of security system do you have  ::)
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Mike Sokol

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2015, 07:04:40 PM »

Mike, what is your street address, when do you go on vacation and what kind of security system do you have  ::)

Hey, this is just a bunch of old tube junk.  ;)

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2015, 10:37:32 PM »

You don't want those old crappy amps. Send them to me. But if you must, try this.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Mike Sokol

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2015, 12:02:35 AM »

You don't want those old crappy amps. Send them to me. But if you must, try this.

Interesting... I almost forgot about "bright" switches. I don't have a lot of room on the front panel for one, but I was planning to use a potentiometer with a push-pull switch built in to take the tone stack out of the circuit. I could add a second push-pull pot for a bright switch. I'll see how well this works with a Moonglow stack and go from there. My guitarist Karl is dropping off a scratch case for this tomorrow. Once I get the amp working he'll build something pretty with tolex.

One other thought is to build a double-chamber combo case for it with a hinged trap door on the rear of the speaker chamber so we can try it as an open-back or closed-back speaker cabinet depending on the stage situation. 

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2015, 01:42:56 AM »

Have you got enough gain for a tone stack?  It will reduce the signal level quite a bit.

Perhaps a simple, old fashioned pot and capacitor tone control would be enough.

Steve.

Mike Sokol

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2015, 08:15:00 AM »

Have you got enough gain for a tone stack?  It will reduce the signal level quite a bit.

Perhaps a simple, old fashioned pot and capacitor tone control would be enough.

Steve.

I think so.... There's both channels of a 12AX7 available for input gain and any tone stack loss, plus a second 12AX7 for the phase inverter.  This is going to be for a blues-type amp, so I'm not looking for shredding gain.

I will admit that the tone control on my Danelectro is pretty useful musically, but it's just a high-cut capacitor and potentiometer right on the input without any buffering at all. Sometimes the simple stuff just works, I suppose. 

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2015, 08:24:13 AM »

Single ended 6V6 with an output of about 6 watts tops. Plenty of power and it should be a very basic circuit. The circuit below , although class AB push pull should be very close to what you have, but with the tone circuit. I've done this type mod in the past w/ one 12AX7, some caps and resistors, and like magic, a great studio or practice amp.

BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2015, 08:40:49 AM »

My apology Mike for no noticing the 6BQ5. This tube should have a max output of 17 watts when used in class AB1 amplifiers. According to the Hammond site the schematic below should be your amp. However, I can't see what the milky tube beside the 6BQ5 is, so this may not be the case. At any rate change the electrolytics, check the ceramic caps for back flow, build a basic resistor\cap tone circuit, and rock on.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

Mike Sokol

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2015, 08:48:54 AM »

My apology Mike for no noticing the 6BQ5. This tube should have a max output of 17 watts when used in class AB1 amplifiers. According to the Hammond site the schematic below should be your amp. However, I can't see what the milky tube beside the 6BQ5 is, so this may not be the case. At any rate change the electrolytics, check the ceramic caps for back flow, build a basic resistor\cap tone circuit, and rock on.

Yup, the milky tube was the only dead thing so far and it's the second 6BQ5. I popped in another tube from my junk pile, did a slow warm up with a variac while monitoring line current for anything bad happening (there's no line fuse on this thing), and everything worked. So it just needs a grounded AC cord, power light, and a simple tone circuit. Oh yes, a line fuse would be nice...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2015, 08:48:54 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.