ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Analog graphic EQs  (Read 11646 times)

Greg_Cameron

• Cameron Pro Audio
Re: Analog graphic EQs
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2015, 06:17:46 PM »

The Opals are ok. I used one for FOH for years. Technically the 960s are bettter - except possibly in one regard. Brian Rat was using of rack of Opals on a monitor rig a while back. The sound co he was tech'ing for was having problems with the 960s introducing hum into each other when stacked in a rack. The Opals didn't have that issue. So they switched to the Opals instead. Said they sounded fine on monitor duty.
"Procrastinators of the world - contemplate uniting!"

Cameron Pro Audio

John Sulek

• Toronto Canada
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2015, 07:52:54 PM »

The Opals are ok. I used one for FOH for years. Technically the 960s are bettter - except possibly in one regard. Brian Rat was using of rack of Opals on a monitor rig a while back. The sound co he was tech'ing for was having problems with the 960s introducing hum into each other when stacked in a rack. The Opals didn't have that issue. So they switched to the Opals instead. Said they sounded fine on monitor duty.

The toroidal power transformer on the 960's would sometimes need to be "tuned" by rotating them for the minimum amount of inter unit hum when stacked up in a rack..Not fun!

jason misterka

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2015, 08:27:49 PM »

The BSS FCS-960, KT DN360, and XTA GQ-600 are pretty well matched as far as performance and quality, and you already know that. The subtle differences between them won't matter if this application is as dumbed-down as you seem to be saying.

You could also use an Ashly or dbx in a situation where filter interaction and overall headroom are not so critical, but of course the build quality and noise floor are not the same as the first three!

If by that you mean the Ashly is better, then you would be correct :)

Ashly EQs are built like a tank, the analog KT EQs sound great but are apparently made of flower petals and tissue paper.  I've had so many problems with ours (DN360 and DN3600) over the years that I am glad to see them gone.  Our Ashly EQs however, and still truckin like always.

BSS 960 had some issues but otherwise a fantastic EQ.  BSS Opal is one of my least favorite for real EQ work but probably fine for shaping as the OP seems to intend.

Jason

jason misterka

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2015, 08:31:47 PM »

Likely slim pickings for anything not china or further offshore.

Rane , Ashley would both be still US made

Not that I mind, but the Ashly GEQ have been made offshore for years now. Unless they switched back (highly doubt it).  In my comparisons several years ago they seemed to operate just as well and sound the same. 

Jason

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2015, 09:09:56 PM »

Those produce weird looking smiley faces.
And even weirder when they are not terminated into 600 ohms.

If you don't terminate them, the filters don't do what you think they should.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2015, 09:21:08 PM »

Old school 600 ohm gear?  At least I know when to retire,, (soon).

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2015, 10:15:38 PM »

its a pretty small subset of the old White EQs out in the wild that are passive LCR units.  Most that I've encountered are pretty generic active synthesized gyrator circuits with 5534 or so in/output buffer amps  just with rotary pots instead of cheesy Alps mini faders.  Pretty happy to work into any load you throw at them.  Assuming thats what you were referring to.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2015, 10:20:48 PM »

I have used or owned EQ's from any number of manufacturers and still find dbx to be a reliable, accurate, and good sounding EQ.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2015, 10:44:09 PM »

Doug,

I'd go with the Rane units Mike Pyle mentioned only if you have an experienced operator - too many options for novice users; great for those with experience.

I think the dbx units are fine, and I use the Ashly GEQs a bit, too.

If you can get KTs with transformers for a good price, jump on 'em.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Chris Nixon

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2015, 02:21:52 AM »

Does a DN3600 count as "graphic style" in this case? Quick easy tone shaping is entire the reason I have mine, I'd get something else if you'll want to do anything surgical though. It's an analog audio path with digital control letting you can save and recall stuff, and it's only 2U. It will do the DN360 shape filters for wide tone shaping with low gain adjustments, or DN27 style if you prefer that.

It's not as immediately grabbable as a normal GEQ, but it's not slow.

Mine has a slight HF roll-off, currently 1dB down at 20K, but it's an EQ, so that's easy to fix.

Chris

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2015, 02:21:52 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 25 queries.